In depth with Billy Morgan

The_budweiser

Hot unbeaten East End prospect Billy Morgan will return to action this Friday night at the sold-out York Hall in Bethnal Green on the undercard of gym-mate Kevin Mitchell.

Glynn Evans talks to lightweight Morgan, who takes on Gants Hill’s Dan Naylor over six rounds, as he looks to take his record to 6-0.

Kevin Mitchell’s return against Felix Lora headlines the show which can be seen live and exclusive on the New Undisputed Home of Boxing BoxNation (Sky Ch. 456/Virgin Ch. 546) on Friday 10th February from 8pm.

Name: Billy Morgan

Born: Canning Town

Family background: I’m the third of four brothers from a footballing family. I still live at home with mum and dad in Canning Town. I ain’t got the money to move out yet. London (property) prices are very expensive.

Trade: I’m a qualified plumber and within the next fortnight I’ll be a qualified gas engineer.

Nickname: The press dubbed me ‘Billy The Kid’ because I look so young but (gymmate) Billy Joe Saunders uses that sometimes (‘The Caravan Kid’) so I’m not really using one at the minute.

What age did you become interested in boxing and why? I was 11. I weren’t an aggressive kid and never really had any street fights but I had a mate who was a bit ‘big’ and he went to the West Ham gym for him to lose weight. As I was really keen on my football at the time, I tagged along for a bit of extra fitness. Previously I’d done karate but fell out with that cos there was no contact.

What do you recall of your amateur career? Within five or six weeks of starting I had my first bout away in Darlington, seven hours drive each way on the mini bus. I won and never looked back.

I stayed at the West Ham for 10 years and trained nearly every day with (head coach) Mickey May, a real character. Brian O’Shaughnessy, Danny and Joey Tokeley and (ex pro) Michael Driscoll also helped train me.

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/boxing-news/41828-in-depth-with-billy-morgan.html#ixzz1lmyE7s5R