Better/worse than your record shows

iamasadlittleboy

Last weekend we saw Raul Hirales (16-0-1) facing Shawn Nichol (5-9) on paper this looked like a mismatch and we had Bunce giving the fight a round and a half and Lillis giving it just 150 seconds. If however you scratched beneath the surface and looked at his record Nichol was facing his 11th unbeaten opponent (which included hotly tipped prospects Jesse Magdelano, McJoe Arroyo and Efrain Esquivias (the only man to stop Nichol).

This made me wonder, who has the most misleading record in boxing today?

Some more to get you started:

Tony Pace (1-3) though gave Ronnie Heffron a very good work out and at 19 probably could do with a decent guy behind him otherwise he'll be fed to the sharks rather than allowed to build on some very natural ability.

Nenad Borovcanin (29-0) the cruiserweight from Serbia flips logic on his head and goes after things the easy way. In 29 fights he has faced only 4 fighters with winning records (all in his last 4 fights to be fair to him) and yet has somehow managed to pick up the WBO European Cruiserweight title. Closing in on his 33rd birthday it's unlikely to see him facing anyone of any note.

Yohei Tobe (3-0) it's easy to assume that the Japanese youngster is being eased into his professional career though within 3 fights he has faced a former world champion and a former title contender. Next up is gatekeeper Ryan Bito (on Sunday) a win here will establish Tobe as a man on the cusp.

Sylvester Lopez (18-3-1) It's often easy to write prospects off after a single loss so when you see Lopez has 3 you may cast him into the heap, though 2 of his losses have been controversial (especially his most recent loss). With wins over Wandee Singwancha and Oacar Ibarra it's hard to rule out this hard punching Pinoy prospect despite his record.

Any more you guys can think of?

An obvious one, though not a great example, is Lucas Martin Matthysse.

Sitting at 29-2, though most people feel he won both of the fights where he suffered losses, and the sad thing is that they were probably his 2 biggest fights to date.

To look at his record, it seems like he is losing fights when he tries to step up to the next level, but the guy should be unbeaten and rated a lot more highly than he actually is.

The Alexander fight in particular was a total robbery. He gave Devon a proper skelping but somehow found himself with another "L" on his record.

Ricky Hatton. Most of it was padded. And even though they fought the best of their era, the Klitschko's and Marciano. And Joe Calzaghe.

So are you saying Calzaghe was better or worse than his record? I'm confused... I'd say he was better than his record shows because he was well capable of beating many people not on the record.

The "better than your record shows" award surely goes to current British flyweight champion, Chris Edwards (17-14). It wasn't so long ago that he had a losing record either.

"Worse than your record shows?" Hmmm... I would say Malik Scott. He's 32-0, but barely fought anyone with a pulse. Don't think he's fought in a while either.

How about another obvious one - Orlando Salido?

His record reads 37-11-2, but he's only lost 3 fights in the past 10 years, and they were against;

Juan Manual Marquez, Cristobal Cruz and Yuriorkis Gamboa and were all relatively close decisions.

He's also got a deceptive KO record, with just 5 victories coming by decision in the past 10 years also (26 fights).

Juanma Lopez found this out to his peril anyway.

How about another obvious one - Orlando Salido?

His record reads 37-11-2, but he's only lost 3 fights in the past 10 years, and they were against;

Juan Manual Marquez, Cristobal Cruz and Yuriorkis Gamboa and were all relatively close decisions.

He's also got a deceptive KO record, with just 5 victories coming by decision in the past 10 years also (26 fights).

Juanma Lopez found this out to his peril anyway.

Tomas Rojas was another one with a similar record, lots of early losses (or losses to incredibly good fighters)

Ricky Hatton. Most of it was padded. And even though they fought the best of their era, the Klitschko's and Marciano. And Joe Calzaghe.

So are you saying Calzaghe was better or worse than his record? I'm confused... I'd say he was better than his record shows because he was well capable of beating many people not on the record.

All worse since a lot of the wins were substandard quality on their records. They were good but their records suggest they were better than what they were. But then we could say this practically about most boxers in boxing, so this thread could go on for eternity. It's just a different way of nitpicking fighters. I could say the same thing even about Chavez if I bought up the win/loss ratio and other factors about the opponents he fought.

I'd have to pop Dimitry Salita on here. Probably had one of the most padded records on record when he fought Khan. Not even sure where he is anymore. Probably slinked back to small halls pumpin that record up...

MacMagician-

Exactly what's happened, he's crawled back under his New York City Club circuit Rock and posted up three meaningless wins. He'll stay there and post up more wins until he gets another title opportunity and gets crushed again. It's a pretty predictable pattern, it's just a matter of how many times they want to "recycle him" before finally giving up.