The Cotto V Pac Thread *Spoilers*

Faulks

Whilst I have to agree that Cortez was diabolical in that fight, i got to say that I was really surprised that Mayweather had the forte, and indeed the physical strength to bully Ricky in that fight. If anything I thought he would be the one calling to Cortez for help, but far from it, he was happy to make a fight of it. I dont think we'll ever know whether the reffing put Hatton off his game plan or not, but IMHO once Mayweather opened up in the 6th, it really didn't matter that much. Thats when we saw the gulf in talent.

As for ducking below the waist, I always wondered how Nigel Benn was allowed to get away with that for years.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the ref had'nt been shit you would have been right!

u mean when joe cortez didnt allow hatton to rabbit punch and hold and hit mayweather............?

No...I mean when Joe Cortez let PBF do everything he was stopping Hatton from trying to do aswell as throwing the Elbow in and bending over to the floor...and then the point deuction mlol/

This was one of the worst refereeing performances I have ever seen...He had made his mind up on how Hatton was gonna fight before hand and then interfered at every juncture, this was biasness beyond belief!!

Watch these and if you can tell me i'm still wrong...your're a Lost cause!

I never have an objection to a fighter doing what he has too do to win....but the way Hatton come out of it labelled as the dirty fighterr was fucking laughable!

hatton was never gonna win that fight anyways so im not gonna get in2 this argument

Its not an argument...its a debate!

Having said that if the referee had been straight down the line PBF would have had that many warnings and point deductions he would have been disqualified thats before you take into account Hatton was landing with shots that were clearly hurting and forcing the foul tactics!!

I cannot knock Floyd for doing it..he's one of the best ever fighters and did what a Top Quality Pro does to win, by adapting and doing what ever it takes...but lets be honest and not pretend that he was'nt the fighter being dirty and that Cortez was'nt poor and finally his inteference never affected the outcome,because it clearly did........its on video if you watched!

Whilst I have to agree that Cortez was diabolical in that fight, i got to say that I was really surprised that Mayweather had the forte, and indeed the physical strength to bully Ricky in that fight. If anything I thought he would be the one calling to Cortez for help, but far from it, he was happy to make a fight of it. I dont think we'll ever know whether the reffing put Hatton off his game plan or not, but IMHO once Mayweather opened up in the 6th, it really didn't matter that much. Thats when we saw the gulf in talent.

As for ducking below the waist, I always wondered how Nigel Benn was allowed to get away with that for years.

I agree Benn at times ducked..but McBride can you honestly say he did it consecutively in a fight the way Floyd did....it was when ever he was feeling in trouble or pressurised that he clinched and elbowed or clinched and ducked!!

and Hatton is the man getting points deducted!!

Cortez was a farce and forced Hatton to take more chances than he needed to because the only way he was winning that was by stoppage.....hence the Check Hook that finished the fight!

I agree Benn at times ducked..but McBride can you honestly say he did it consecutively in a fight the way Floyd did....it was when ever he was feeling in trouble or pressurised that he clinched and elbowed or clinched and ducked!!

Cortez was a farce and forced Hatton to take more chances than he needed to because the only way he was winning that was by stoppage.....hence the Check Hook that finished the fight!

Everything you say about cortez is non debatable because you are correct. Whether Mayweather fouled enough to be DQ'd is only opinion, and tbh I think any ref would be reluctant to DQ a guy in a fight that wasn't that dirty in all honesty. As i say I was more surprised by Mayweather being prepared to do anything it took to win, as you yourself pointed out. I thought he would cry to the ref for help. For me I'm afraid the fight doesn't hinge on the check hook, it was when Mayweather opened up in the 6th ( maybe the 8th ) I cant remember now, and hit RH with at least 5 shots bang on the chin, and Hatton didn't even know where they came from. That was the moment I turned to the 3 people i was watching it with and said " We might as well have another drink, he's fucked here "

Again in all honesty I think old Nige was quite clever with the bending at waist crack, and used it to his advantage.

Everything you say about cortez is non debatable because you are correct. Whether Mayweather fouled enough to be DQ'd is only opinion, and tbh I think any ref would be reluctant to DQ a guy in a fight that wasn't that dirty in all honesty. As i say I was more surprised by Mayweather being prepared to do anything it took to win, as you yourself pointed out. I thought he would cry to the ref for help. For me I'm afraid the fight doesn't hinge on the check hook, it was when Mayweather opened up in the 6th ( maybe the 8th ) I cant remember now, and hit RH with at least 5 shots bang on the chin, and Hatton didn't even know where they came from. That was the moment I turned to the 3 people i was watching it with and said " We might as well have another drink, he's fucked here "

Again in all honesty I think old Nige was quite clever with the bending at waist crack, and used it to his advantage.

Its one of those things that have been resigned to the archives now...but it really pissed me off for months after the fight debating it with the Floyd huggers mlol/

I don't think Benn was quite as bad as you seem to think though lol...I will have a look at a couple of his fights and hold my judgement and come back too ya boxing//

I still to this day cant work out why Cortez made himself look a c**t, and ruined his reputation by trying to help a fighter, who palpably didn't need help ( which your footage of as early as the 2nd round clearly shows ) and who was well up for anything that came his way, and even more willing to give it back.

Pacquiao vs. Cotto: What Will Manny’s Excuse be When he Loses?

pac344534By Manuel Perez: I can already see the excuses flowing in from Manny Pacquiao and his loyal trainer Freddie Roach after November 14th. I’d like for it to be some straight honest excuses where Pacquiao and Roach admit that they fought a superior fighter with better talent, power and ability than him. But what I expect will be some lame excuses along the lines of ‘I wasn’t feeling good in training camp, I hurt my shoulder or I couldn’t see because of the cut.’

I really hope that Pacquiao takes his loss like a man and doesn’t come up with the excuses after the fact but I just don’t see it happening that way. A whole bunch of people who don’t know what they’re talking about are predicting that Pacquiao is going to beat Cotto on November 14th. I’m really laughing at them because I haven’t seen so many wrong people in all my life.

This is going to be really nice to see Pacquiao eating a big plate of humble pie. I hope he swallows all of it because I don’t want him with any false hopes about the loss. There’s one thing that fighters need to accept is responsibility for their losses. The worse thing they can do is start coming up with the excuses after the fact. A tell tale sign of a fighter not accepting their defeat is when they start with the excuses and want to fire their trainer.

I doubt that Pacquiao will fire Roach after Cotto fight, at least I hope he doesn’t. But I still see Pacquiao making with the excuses for the loss. It’s so sad. I hope Pacquiao doesn’t resort to this. I don’t want to lose respect for the man and I think I would if Pacquiao starts blabbering left and right with every excuse under the son to explain away his loss. I can just see him going motor mouth while being interviewed.

It will be a terrible sight if he does this. Just accept the loss, Pacquiao, and take your defeat with dignity. I’m okay with the “It just wasn’t my night” excuses, but I can’t stomach when fighters start crying about injuries, poor training camps or other things that took place during the fight. If Pacquiao can’t beat Cotto in the ring, the last thing I want to hear is a bunch of lame excuses.

A loss to Cotto won’t be such a bad thing. At least Pacquiao know where he’s at in terms of talent. It’s better to know how good you are in reality rather than having a mental image in your head that isn’t true. Once Cotton finishes beating the tar out of Pacquiao, his self image will be adjusted to the point where he has a more accurate picture of his true ability – I hope.

If Pacquiao starts with the excuses then that tells me that he hasn’t accepted the loss and is looking for a scapegoat for target to put the blame on. There’s nothing wrong with losing. Pacquiao shouldn’t worry about it when it happens. It’s part of the game and every fighter has to accept it and not try to explain it away with excuses.

I have just downloaded the latest 24/7 and still see Miguel nice and relaxed and Pac surrounded by his yes men..

That being said they are back at the Wildcard Gym and theres still 2 weeks to go. HBO do a great job at building the fight up...

If you havent seen it its worth a watch guys

A bit strong by Manuel Perez dont you think? I mean has Pacciow got a history of bleating when he lost? Did he make excuses for the fact that he couldn't beat JMM convincingly?

I think he loses, but its a bit strong to say he's gonna start whinging about it before the fight has happened.

Yeah he could be a bit of a Pac hater this guy, I try not to post anything to Anti either fighter though i thought it was a article to discuss.

Pac cant really moan when he gets beat. He has 65% of the purse, he's disabled Miguel by demanding the fights at 145. Everything is on his terms

I can't see why people are so confident that Cotto will win. Going on his fights in 2009, he hasn't been impressive! I re-watched the Cotto-Clottey fight last night and still think the same. I know he got a terrible cut early on in that fight. Gonna re-watch the Jennings fight later, but from memory, I thought he was going to be a lot better (even tho he got the stoppage)!

Pac on the other hand, has always been impressive in recent fights. He blew Ricky away and hit De La Hoya for fun!

From looking at 24/7, Cottos preparations have been far better than Pacs, but I still think the fight won't be easy for Cotto.

Drogs i was at both of those fights and against jennings he probaly could of got the job earlier but it was a warm up figtht and Mick gave it his all, A friend said that everytime Mick got hit it felt like it was like being hit by a brick. Suppose thats the differnce between world an British class.

Against Clottey he fought a good fight, granted it was very close but Clottey is a dam good and big Welter. Any idiot who says Miguel has lost his heart only needs to watch that fight to see theyre talking crap. He could of had it called off with the result in the bag after the cut but chose to fight on.

As for the reasons i think he'l win well ive given them in the thread. I will however concede i like other fight fans can and do get their predictions wrong when its your fav fighter is in the ring but ill gladly bet you 50 coins Cotto takes this one,,

I don't have 50 coins to bet!! (yet)!!

I'm still undecided as to the outcome. I just don't think it's a clear-cut victory for Cotto. Don't get me wrong, I like Cotto, he comes across very well in 24/7. And I know he has tremendous power and is naturally bigger.

But Pac also has a lot of power and is extremely quick!

I've a bit more time before I commit to a prediction............

boxing//

I don't have 50 coins to bet!! (yet)!!

I'm still undecided as to the outcome. I just don't think it's a clear-cut victory for Cotto. Don't get me wrong, I like Cotto, he comes across very well in 24/7. And I know he has tremendous power and is naturally bigger.

But Pac also has a lot of power and is extremely quick!

I've a bit more time before I commit to a prediction............

boxing//

Sorry mate i didnt even look. Well when you win the prection league, ill have them. I'll do you an i owe u mlol/

Na in all seriousness pal its got the potential to be the fight of the year so us fans are the winners :-)

I have just downloaded the latest 24/7 and still see Miguel nice and relaxed and Pac surrounded by his yes men..

That being said they are back at the Wildcard Gym and theres still 2 weeks to go. HBO do a great job at building the fight up...

If you havent seen it its worth a watch guys

Certainly seems to be a different approach to the fight by the two fighters. Cotto from the 1st 2 shows seemed more focus on the job at hand while Pacman spent too long in a typhoon.

Like you say, Ian - Mannys at the Wildcard Gym now so the serious work will begin.