Hatton ponders Mayweather rematch

The_budweiser

Ricky Hatton has said he could be tempted into a return to boxing by a re-match with Floyd Mayweather, the man who ended his unbeaten record in 2007.

The 31-year-old has not fought since losing to Manny Pacquiao in May.

"If I decide to come back it would need to be a fight to excite me. One person on my hit-list is Floyd Mayweather," Hatton told BBC Radio Stoke.

"I'd rather get back in the ring with him, have a go and get knocked out again because I can say that I tried."

He continued: "I thought I was hard done by to lose in the first fight. The referee didn't let me impose my style on him.

"I'd rather go in there and find out whether it is just me feeling sorry for myself or whether I was actually treated a bit harshly.

"That's what being a champion fighter is all about. Normally you would run a mile against people that have just knocked you out, but I want to get in there again with him if I decide to come back."

Hatton has been busy promoting his own fights since his devastating defeat to Pacquaio, including a world title bout for his brother, Matthew, which is taking place in Stoke-on-Trent on 13 November.

He remains unsure whether he will retire but has not ruled out a return to the ring.

"It's only been six months since the Pacquaio fight. I'm just sitting back and having a rest, and waiting for my feet to start tapping again," added Hatton.

"Once I've had a good rest and I've recharged my batteries, I might give it another go, possibly after Christmas or in the new year.

"At the moment I've got no plans to come back, but you need to have the hunger to come back. I'm sure it will and I'm sure I'll give it another go."

Ive made the same reaction on other forums myself,however when I think about it... most of the problems Ricky has absorbing punches and staying sharp eminate from being weight drained and his continual yo yo lifestyle.......but fighting at Welterweight against a Rusty PBF might'nt be such a crazy idea after all!

If Ricky does come back he can't go straight in with PBF he will have to have at least one fight against a top flight boxer someone who will show just what Ricky has left, to go in with Mayweather without testing the water would be suicide.

As we all know PBF is a guy that even in retirement kept himself fit where as Ricky even between fights didn't.I have no wish to see Ricky fight again & be humiliated better to remember him when he was flying high

If Ricky does come back he can't go straight in with PBF he will have to have at least one fight against a top flight boxer someone who will show just what Ricky has left, to go in with Mayweather without testing the water would be suicide.

As we all know PBF is a guy that even in retirement kept himself fit where as Ricky even between fights didn't.I have no wish to see Ricky fight again & be humiliated better to remember him when he was flying high

Problem there as I see it is who? Even a 38 year old Mosley has the handspeed, and power to stop him. Marg, and Clottey too big. Judah would be dangerous for 4 / 5 rounds. Cotto just too good all round for him. I just cant see who unless it was someone like Michael Jennings, which isn't gonna impress anyone across the pond.

Please dont come back and fight PBF again Ricky. I have many great memorys of your fights but i for one do not want to fly accross the pond to see you get hurt again. Because thats what will happen.

Your bank account is bulging and you really dont need to get beat again by Floyd.

PBF wins this with ease if it happens

I know I will take some serious stick for even suggesting it but Junior Witter still has some credibility left it's unfinished business for both & a fight that would still sell if Ricky can't get passed him then no reason to carry on. Ok guys shoot me down

I said on the other site only fools or sadists would pay to see Hatton fight any top class fighter. I see no reason to say differently on here. He is finished.
I'd definitely pay to see him fight should he continue no matter who the opponent, however, the prospect of this fight is ridiculous and he's clearly thinking about the money, but you no what, I wouldn't put it past floyd to accept!

If Mayweather took the fight he would be even more hated by vast amounts of boxing fans who want to see him face sterner opposition ,as he has nothing to gain from fightin him again (except a huge financial gain of course). Coming off the loss to Pacquio hatton doesnt bring anything to the table to make this fight happen. would be a purely money fight and thats all.