Degale leaves Warren

Aaron

Did not see this coming.

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/7460182/DeGale-splits-with-******

Olympic gold medallist James DeGale is to split from manager Frank Warren.

The 24-year-old sprang to prominence four years ago when winning a gold medal at the Beijing Games.

DeGale turned pro later that year and joined Warren's promotional stable along with Billy Joe Saunders and Frankie Gavin.

But DeGale confirmed his split from Warren in a statement released by the boxer's solicitors, Blick & Co.

The European super-middleweight champion from Harlesden, London, said in the short statement: "I think it is time for both of us to move on."

The move comes almost six months after DeGale's arch-rival George Groves joined the Warren stable.

If rumours are to be believed their will be an exodus in coming months. Warren is apparently in financial ruin and has not been paying fighters who have been appear on box nation (whilst not his channel he is still obliged to pay the fighters on his own shows)...still only a rumour but one that is growing stronger by the day with Frankie Gavin admitting he was receiving 25% of his normal pay day on the Cleverly card...

*note-only talking about a very well known rumour*

Warren is apparently in financial ruin

There's a lot of efvidence behind thast rumour - twice last year, HMRC issued a winding-up order against FWP Ltd, although they withdrew the first petition and the second was dismissed by a judge. Add to that the fact Warren is claiming he has a contract with Scott Harrison and it suggests he's trying to scrape some cash wherever he can.

Warren has said he under contract with him until 2013

Only if Warren can hold up his part of the contract...which will likely include payment on time and no doubt to keep him active.

Warren is apparently in financial ruin

There's a lot of efvidence behind thast rumour - twice last year, HMRC issued a winding-up order against FWP Ltd, although they withdrew the first petition and the second was dismissed by a judge. Add to that the fact Warren is claiming he has a contract with Scott Harrison and it suggests he's trying to scrape some cash wherever he can.

I think I made a topic when the rumour was going around in December that Murray hadn't been paid for his bout with Rios...The stories are slowly coming out and seem to be about to kill his newest venture...how long before a lot of fighters bugger off?...

I am cancelling my boxnation subscription as we speak, its a bad few hours for Frank : )

Don't be silly you'll be missing out on loads of great programming such as...er...Steve Bunce's 90 minute boxing hour...and cards from Sauerland (which are often legally streamed or free in German)...And the wonderful Queensferry cards...

Don't bury Warren yet, he's quite resourceful.
Quite right, Dave. Think Warren completed 25 years of promoting last year. There was an excellent article in Boxing Monthly at the time about the Highs and Lows. Hes a man that broke thru into a very clique and controlled scene. Cameback from being shot and even worse his partnership with Don King that he came out of financially worse but had learn't from the master. The current promotional scene is a tough place and often false rumours are banded about for fun.

I think we should all subscribe and help Frank in his hour of need. Boxing is a better place with Boxnation.

So good that you haven't subscribed already??

I was waiting for the Freeview launch.

It didn't launch on freeview simultaneously? That's a surprising move that's probably not helped - a lot of people I know won't touch Sky.

I think we should all subscribe and help Frank in his hour of need. Boxing is a better place with Boxnation.

Is it?

Really?

We would have gotten most of the good fights anyway (in fact the best Box Nation cards were FREE). Really what has Box Nation actually given up since going paying? (Not it didn't give us the Cotto v Margo II card which was taking place without Box Nation).

Whilst is has given UK fight fans TV friendly bouts such as Vladimir Schipizin v Tony Camin (anyone remember this one? Where the commentary had NOTHING positive to say, and Tibbs seemed set to call it shit), What about Steve Harkin v Jason Ball last week (you know a fight that wouldn't have looked out of place in front of "The Red Lion" on a Friday night).

Whilst they have given us an occasional solid fight since going pay such as Marsili v Matthews they had to dress up the IBO title as a real world title, next they'll bring back the WBU or the WBF just to have world champions on it.

The channel has further distanced the fans from the sport and then tried to sell us shit (Cleverly v Karpency), we don't need to be charged more to watch the sport. Congrats to things like Hatton (who show most of their stuff on Youtube), Seconds Out TV (again showing stuff for free) and WBC TV (who also show a lot of stuff for free). If it was a channel for the fans they would have done the right thing and gotten fights lined up BEFORE going pay (going pay just before christmas was the most cynical move they could possibly have done).

They promised 2 cards a week...how many times since they went pay have they managed to fulfill that promise?...How many times have cards been "as originally advertised"?

If they lived up to their promises I'd have given them some leeway on my complaints of alienating boxing but they haven't, even when their was some tremendous card to pick up they didn't see to go for them (The Uchiyama v Solis card!)

So good that you haven't subscribed already??

I was waiting for the Freeview launch.

It didn't launch on freeview simultaneously? That's a surprising move that's probably not helped - a lot of people I know won't touch Sky.

Sky and Online originally, then they added Virgin (which had a month by month payment deal as opposed to the 6 months up front of the Sky deal).

I don't understand the notion that we would have been seeing all these fights anyway. Sky are doing their own thing, Primetime is a rip-off while Premier is Setanta in disguise and fans already got burn't by them. Channel 5 are the only ones(showing an interest in the sport) that can provide boxing to a mass market and there shows are infrequent. Boxnation has the right idea but needs time to grow and improve.

Don't bury Warren yet, he's quite resourceful.
Quite right, Dave. Think Warren completed 25 years of promoting last year. There was an excellent article in Boxing Monthly at the time about the Highs and Lows. Hes a man that broke thru into a very clique and controlled scene. Cameback from being shot and even worse his partnership with Don King that he came out of financially worse but had learn't from the master. The current promotional scene is a tough place and often false rumours are banded about for fun.

Rob-

I think it's good that so many promotional opportunities are available to UK fighters on the World Stage after years of Frank Warren being the "Big Dog" and kind of dominating, but unlike Arum and King who are both in their Eighties now, Warren turns 60 next month and like you say, he's overcome and preserved before.

I don't understand the notion that we would have been seeing all these fights anyway. Sky are doing their own thing, Primetime is a rip-off while Premier is Setanta in disguise and fans already got burn't by them. Channel 5 are the only ones(showing an interest in the sport) that can provide boxing to a mass market and there shows are infrequent. Boxnation has the right idea but needs time to grow and improve.

Feel free to name a notable fight that wouldn't have taken place if box nation hadn't be around?

Appleby v Walsh would almost certainly have been on Sky, ditto Bellew v Cleverly and Murray v Mitchell. We wouldn't have had crap like Harkin v Ball and Schipizin v Camin on Sky as Sky do have some quality control. There was a reason Rob Norton wasn't defending his title every other week...

We never struggled to find streams for major American fights and we never will, Box Nation putting them on is nice but we would have had Cotto v Margo II anyway ditto Cunningham v JPH (again German fights have always been easy to stream). They should be picking up the harder to find stuff (Wonjogkam's fights, Uchiyama v Solis ETC).

Box Nation have let too many slip through their fingers (yesterday's card being another example) to keep giving them time.

...When was the last time a Box Nation card went from announcement to full show AS first advertised?...

How can people keep saying "give it time" when it keeps breaking promises? They have shown 3 cards this year in over 4 weeks! ..in fact since they went PAY they have only shown live boxing on something like 6 nights...in around 9 weeks...

Lets look at some none televised (in the UK) stuff they missed out on since December 3rd shall we?

Kameda Triple Header (December 7th)

Viloria v Segura (December 11th)

Sato v Fuchigami (December 12th, a lost war)

Adrian Hernandez v Kompayak Porpramook-with Wonjongkam on the undercard (December 23rd)

Uchiyama v Solis/Caballero v Hosono (December 31st)

Solis v Golez (January 7th)

Karass v Rosado (January 21st)

The Germany card (January 28th)

These were ALL televised live (so you wouldn't need to send a live crew out there) but yet they failed to pick up a single one of them, for a devoted boxing channel..to miss out on things like the Triple Header, the New Years Eve Double header and yesterday's card is embarrassing! When they start picking up these cards (which will almost certainly be cheaper than many of the ones they do pick up) then I'll give them a chance.