Khan to fight Mosley at Catchweight

WelshDevilRob

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catchweights never bothered me.

If 2 guys want to face each other and are a weightclass apart, then meeting halfway isn't a big deal.

A lot of people make a big deal of it though, and look negatively on it, while also claiming it has a negative impact on the person who has to lose a couple of pounds...

This may or may not be true, but if it is, then Mosley should never consider making the fight,

Pac asked Mosley to do the same after he had beat Margarito and Mosley rightly refused. Why is it wild card fighters always want the guy to of lost the fight due to shitty reasons before a punch is even thrown?

I don't see a old Mosley making 145 and this fight is a farce, Pac is bad for this shite and now Khan is following the trend.

I hate the exaggerations about Pacquiao and catchweights...he's dont it twice ffs!

And both opponents had weighed in lower than the catchweight agreement in recent fights.

Belts don't make fighters nowadays, so the weightclass restrictions are not near as important imo.

If 2 fighters can make an agreed weight and it makes for a good fight, then it's fine as far as I'm concerned.

Dozens of fighters have done it in the past, many of them top names in the sport.

In my opinion, if a fighter is going to seriously be affected by making the agreed weight, then they only have themselves and their managent team to blame for putting themselves in that position.

It's easy to knock a fight afterwards and say that weight had some affect, but it's not nearly as bad as the thousands of fighters who boil down 2 or 3 weightclasses for a weigh in and then go straight back up to a natural weight.

It's easy to knock a fight afterwards and say that weight had some affect, but it's not nearly as bad as the thousands of fighters who boil down 2 or 3 weightclasses for a weigh in and then go straight back up to a natural weight.

That's something else that's never made sense to me - most of the guys we call best welterweights are middleweights, half the flyweights are featherweights etc.

Well he can fight at whatever weight he wants but the belts he won at these custom weights are false, you want the welter or light middle belts then fight at them weights.

That's fine I'd say too.

In my opinion the belts are pretty much meaningless nowadays anyway, but if you want to legitimately win one, you should fight within the limits set out for that belt, not the limit set out for a fight.

I can't argue the fact that he's picked up a few trinkets on his way up the weightclasses, whether it's meaningless wins over the likes of Diaz, or much better wins over the likes of Cotto, catchweight or no catchweight.

Personally, I don't care what belts he's won, I care more about WHO he's beaten.

The xxx weight champion patter that's banded about is a nonsense on the part of almost everyone who tries to lay claim to it anyway.

A legitimate world champion clears up at each weight, they don't just pick off the weakest beltholders and then leave the weight...

Well he can fight at whatever weight he wants but the belts he won at these custom weights are false, you want the welter or light middle belts then fight at them weights.

That's fine I'd say too.

In my opinion the belts are pretty much meaningless nowadays anyway, but if you want to legitimately win one, you should fight within the limits set out for that belt, not the limit set out for a fight.

I can't argue the fact that he's picked up a few trinkets on his way up the weightclasses, whether it's meaningless wins over the likes of Diaz, or much better wins over the likes of Cotto, catchweight or no catchweight.

Personally, I don't care what belts he's won, I care more about WHO he's beaten.

The xxx weight champion patter that's banded about is a nonsense on the part of almost everyone who tries to lay claim to it anyway.

A legitimate world champion clears up at each weight, they don't just pick off the weakest beltholders and then leave the weight...

But the belts matter to the fighters, and Cotto lost his in a fight that the belt was not even supposed to be fought for in.

And also going of your last statement, neither Floyd or Manny are true welter or light middle champions as neither has "cleaned up at the weight".

At welter they both have each other to fight, Manny has yet to even fight at light middle and while Floyd beat Oscar their was probably other big fights their for him too.

The last part aint meant to sound snotty or anything pal, reading it over I know it could come across that way.

That's fine I'd say too.

But the belts matter to the fighters, and Cotto lost his in a fight that the belt was not even supposed to be fought for in.

And also going of your last statement, neither Floyd or Manny are true welter or light middle champions as neither has "cleaned up at the weight".

At welter they both have each other to fight, Manny has yet to even fight at light middle and while Floyd beat Oscar their was probably other big fights their for him too.

The last part aint meant to sound snotty or anything pal, reading it over I know it could come across that way.

As for both Floyd and Manny, I only count them as legitimate"world champions" in that regard, in maybe a couple of weightclasses each.

Certainly nowhere near the 7 or 8 each they claim to.

And belts matter more to fighters who are outside of the elite group and basically just lucky to have won a "world" title.

They're thrown about so much for the lightest of achievements, that you can't deny their value is massively diluted, to both fighter and fan alike.

Which is why people are more prone to giving up titles now than they were in years gone by.

If belts mattered that much, noone would just give up one to take a non-title fight.

Money is what matters to fighters, and promoters are able to make more money for a fight which has a "world title" at stake.

It's just a trinket to make more dough.

------ My friend, you appear to be as new to the history of boxing as to this board.

Cotto has won/lost his belts legitimately even if the selection of opponents doesn't pass the sniff test of the million critics mincing logic in a million different ways.

Floydy has never held any more than the WBC belt, so 75% of the belts remained unclaimed in his divisions, never a unified champion. The other big fights for him were the rematches of his controversial wins over Oscar and Ricky that Manny picked up for mucho lucre. Floydy came back for chump change against Marquez in a fight nobody asked for and has been reduced to begging for his #1 P4P status ever since.

The jrmid division is 147+one ounce up to 154 lbs. Now, supposedly Manny didn't legit weigh within that range against Marg, but weights can be easily fudged as happens routinely. At any rate, the WBC obviously gave him a waiver, or perhaps the scales were tampered so Marg could make the 150 catchweight. Maybe you don't understand that boxing orgs do damn well what they please as do boxing commishes.

Manny has cleaned out every single welter appearing on the cover of 2008 Rings save the one who won't fight him. They don't have to fight each other, it's really only a few fans at this point who care about the fight which has lost it's luster.

Fact is, it was Manny's stipulation to fight Cotto that neither would weigh more than was it 146 or 145? People can look around this however they like but those are the facts, thus a welterweight fighter was not allowed to weigh in at the welterweight limit irresepective of what he weighed in at on previous welterweight fights.

Manny might of cleaned out every welter their is when it suited, but both him and Floyd have yet to face the one that matters and if they retire with that still being the case then most of what they have done at welter will count for little. But given that the majority of opinions appears to be that Manny lost his last fight, I agree the lust for them to get it on has died quite a bit. Me personally I don't even see the fight being close.

You chose to point out how nobody asked for Floyd vs JMM, from my memory not many where asking for Manny vs JMM, or atleats not at the weight everyone slagged Floyd off fight fighting Marquez out.

I am well aware the governing bodies etc do as they please, does not make it right though.

Pakow has done it twice and ATTEMPTED it more so, therefore there is a trend despite what his adoring fans might think. Mosley told ( I wont say him because he hasn't got an opinion ) Roach, he wouldn't do 142, and just this week Cotto has said no to the demanded 147.

As for the days of Mosley being fast and powerful, they passed about 5 years ago, unless anyone really wants to convince themselves Margarito was anything more than a slow as shit punchbag.

Mosley's post-fight interview his last time out, where he didn't appear to be bothered in the least by his sub-par effort and seemed just happy to be cashing a check left me with a sour taste in my mouth to the point where I don't care to see SSM fight again......and that's from a guy who was one of the biggest Mosley fans around.

The other big fights for him were the rematches of his controversial wins over Oscar and Ricky

You want controversial wins try Pakow / Marquez 2 and 3.

Floydy came back for chump change against Marquez in a fight nobody asked for and has been reduced to begging for his #1 P4P status ever since

So 10 mill guaranteed is chump change? And the nobody you refer to is apart from the million plus PPV buys, of which incidentally Mayweather was on a percentage of, on top of the guaranteed 10.

Your hatred of all things Mayweather is amusing to be sure, but the Walter Mitty act isn't neccessary.

Furthermore if all these Catchweights are soooo unimportant wtf are Pakow, and now it seems Khan DEMANDING them?

The other big fights for him were the rematches of his controversial wins over Oscar and Ricky

Floydy came back for chump change against Marquez in a fight nobody asked for and has been reduced to begging for his #1 P4P status ever since

So 10 mill guaranteed is chump change? And the nobody you refer to is apart from the million plus PPV buys, of which incidentally Mayweather was on a percentage of, on top of the guaranteed 10.

Your hatred of all things Mayweather is amusing to be sure, but the Walter Mitty act isn't neccessary.

Furthermore if all these Catchweights are soooo unimportant wtf are Pakow, and now it seems Khan DEMANDING them?

McBride, I can only laugh at your comments about "Mayweather-hating"....

I haven't encountered ANYONE, who has been more scathing of Pacquiao for the most nonsensical of reasons at times.

I always end up getting pulled into these arguments because it's quite easy to point out the hypocrisy given Floyd's fight with Marquez was at an agreed CATCHWEIGHT (which he never even bothered trying to make I may add).

Who is "demanding" catchweights?!?

If you check any comments directly attributed to Pacquiao, you'll find that he has specifically said recently, that he can't go anywhere near light-middleweight and will be having all future fights at the 147 lbs limit, and will defend his belt.

Khan is a totally different fighter, who has absolutely nothing to do with Pacquiao, so it's a nonsense to lump them in together.

If the best connection you can get is that "they fight at the same gym" to try and point out some non-existent "trend" then you're really clutching at straws.

A: Khan hasn't fought any fight at a catchweight in his career and the comments above are simply media SPECULATION. If you believed everything that was written in the media, life would be one big circus ffs.

B: The both have different promoters and different managers. If you think a trainer makes the negotiations on fight contracts and makes the final decisions on a fighters career you're pretty naive.

Fact is, it was Manny's stipulation to fight Cotto that neither would weigh more than was it 146 or 145? People can look around this however they like but those are the facts, thus a welterweight fighter was not allowed to weigh in at the welterweight limit irresepective of what he weighed in at on previous welterweight fights.

Manny might of cleaned out every welter their is when it suited, but both him and Floyd have yet to face the one that matters and if they retire with that still being the case then most of what they have done at welter will count for little. But given that the majority of opinions appears to be that Manny lost his last fight, I agree the lust for them to get it on has died quite a bit. Me personally I don't even see the fight being close.

You chose to point out how nobody asked for Floyd vs JMM, from my memory not many where asking for Manny vs JMM, or atleats not at the weight everyone slagged Floyd off fight fighting Marquez out.

I am well aware the governing bodies etc do as they please, does not make it right though.

------ Facts are Aaron you have no facts, but rather substitute your "feelings" because you're a sensitive Floydy reprobate fan and only want the best for him and his battered family.

The Cotto catchweight was 145lbs, down a single pound from what Cotto weighed in his previous fight against Clottey. Facts are that Cotto weighed under the 147 limit 5 of 8 welter fights, and in his last fight at 140 against Malignaggi he came in 138.5, 1.5 lbs under the jrwelt limit and near the 2lbs he came in under against Manny.

How many of your angels can dance on the head of a pin, that's your argument.

JMM has been chasing Manny up through the weight classes and since signing with GB, His howling supporters only got louder for the rematch and the rubber. Mosley even volunteered to fight Manny at 142 he was so desperate for the match, and got the shameless Popkins to drop the race bomb claiming Manny had ducked black American fighters even if they had no names of black feathers and bantams he'd been ducking.

Moreover, it don't matter who thinks Manny lost his last fight, at least he was involved in a highly dynamic rubber against the best trained ever version of Marquez as opposed to Floydy who reprised an even more horrible rendition of the much reviled Ali/Liston rematch that was a farce then that would pale in comparison to the wrestling entertainment theatrics of the Ortiz match.

At any rate to put the thread back on track, Mosley would be a good contest for Khan who ain't the big gorilla in boxing that he thought he was.

McBride, I can only laugh at your comments about "Mayweather-hating"....

I haven't encountered ANYONE, who has been more scathing of Pacquiao for the most nonsensical of reasons at times.

I always end up getting pulled into these arguments because it's quite easy to point out the hypocrisy given Floyd's fight with Marquez was at an agreed CATCHWEIGHT (which he never even bothered trying to make I may add).

Who is "demanding" catchweights?!?

If you check any comments directly attributed to Pacquiao, you'll find that he has specifically said recently, that he can't go anywhere near light-middleweight and will be having all future fights at the 147 lbs limit, and will defend his belt.

Khan is a totally different fighter, who has absolutely nothing to do with Pacquiao, so it's a nonsense to lump them in together.

If the best connection you can get is that "they fight at the same gym" to try and point out some non-existent "trend" then you're really clutching at straws.

A: Khan hasn't fought any fight at a catchweight in his career and the comments above are simply media SPECULATION. If you believed everything that was written in the media, life would be one big circus ffs.

B: The both have different promoters and different managers. If you think a trainer makes the negotiations on fight contracts and makes the final decisions on a fighters career you're pretty naive.

I cant wait to read yet another one of your feeble attempts to spin your way out of this one.

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt= ... z1kl403LqT

This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

by Jhonny Gonzalez

WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto is counting the numbers on the check. Puerto Rico's biggest star told Raul Alzaga that his final decision, regarding his next opponent, will be determined by money. Cotto and members of his team are evaluating two possible scenarios - a fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, or a rematch with Manny Pacquiao on June 9th - also in Las Vegas.

As BoxingScene.com previously reported several times, the agreed-upon weight is an issue with the Pacquiao rematch. When they first met in 2009, Cotto was forced to meet Pacquiao at a catch-weight of 145-pounds. Now a champion at 154, and being pursued by the two biggest names in boxing, Cotto will not budge from his position of refusing to fight below 150-pounds. Pacquiao is refusing to fight Cotto above the welterweight limit of 147. However, Mayweather has no problem with fighting Cotto at 150 or above.

"I will not fight below 150 pounds. Mayweather Jr. said he has no problem going up to 154 to fight me. Pacquiao is the one who objected and wants me to once again come down to a weight between 145 and 147 pounds. If Pacquiao had no trouble going up to 150 to fight Margarito, why is there a set requirement for me to go down again? Does he fear me? If Pacquiao wants to fight me again, it must be above 150 pounds. I will not continue to sacrifice my body to lose weight," Cotto said.

To address another of your Walter Mitty fables in the post above aimed at Aaorn, it WAS IN FACT ROACH who insisted on 142 when Mosley appROACHed them after KO ing Margarito, and Shane told team Pakow to shove it.

I suppose in your little world constant references to crack cocaine in the same sentence as any member of the Mayweather family, whether said cocaine is relevant or not is affection is it? Of course you are a Mayweather hater. I on the other hand never mention Pakow's out of ring habits, true, or false, because I dont give a f&&k about them, save to say I cant wait for the fun and games to start when he finally gets out and takes up his " political " career.

The way I see it is right about now there are a bunch of hoary old politicians in Manilla rubbing their hands with glee as they observe some Jewish shyster New York lawyer puppeteering with their semi literate congressman, all ready working behind the scenes to steer him to the presidency.

Then you will see corruption that will make Fernando and Imelda Marcos attempts look like the Chump Change you keep mentioning. And your little hero wont even know its being done to him.