So, 3 Good fights instead of 1 Mega fight

WelshDevilRob

If you take the fights at face value, people have been looking for Floyd vs Cotto for a few years now, and Pacquiao vs Bradley is probably the best of a bad bunch when you look at the list of Pacquiao opponents drawn up.

Imo, Peterson was never really that good, Khan just made him look good because he can't adapt, and Marquez is way out of his comfort zone at LWW.

Ignoring the fact that Cotto isn;t the same fighter he was 5 years ago when the Floyd fight could have been made, and Bradley is another fighter moving out of their natural weightclass to face Pacquiao, then it still makes for 3 good fights.

Ignoring the fact that Cotto isn;t the same fighter he was 5 years ago when the Floyd fight could have been made, and Bradley is another fighter moving out of their natural weightclass to face Pacquiao, then it still makes for 3 good fights.

Well on that basis, I can't wait for Calzaghe-Lacy 2. Ignoring the fact Lacyt isn't the fighter he was 5 years ago, it's a great fight.

Cotto is still a very good fighter and Im already looking forward to HBO 24/7. I think Cotto gives a very good account of himself in this fight. Marquez vs Petersen at JWW makes alot of sense. I also like the Bradley vs Pacman fight, Bradley has fought at Welter before so should be comfortable and hes fresh rather than a faded name.

Well on that basis, I can't wait for Calzaghe-Lacy 2. Ignoring the fact Lacyt isn't the fighter he was 5 years ago, it's a great fight.

It's all about levels.

If Lacy was still winning and a world champion and there was ever any debate over who would beat who, then your point may stack up.

You're also ignoring the fact that Joe hasn't beein in the ring in 3 years... mlol/

A better example is maybe Froch vs Calzaghe?

Even then it doesn't quite fit the analogy.

Cotto vs Mayweather is hardly a bad fight ffs....

To me, Cotto is about ready for retirement - Margarito dished out a fearsome beating, he looked dog rough against Clottey and I thought he was going to get stopped at one stage, and we know howe the Pacquiao fight went. Sincve then, he's beaten Yuri Foreman, Mayorga and a shot-to-shit Margarito. I never watched the Margarito rematch but frankly I think Cotto is not going to be particularly competitive vs Mayweather, he'd lose to Pacquiao in a rematch and it won't be long before he's putting himself in dangerous positions. I didn;t think the Cotto of 5 years ago would cope wuth Mayweather's speed - I'm damn sure hge won't now.

To me, Cotto is about ready for retirement - Margarito dished out a fearsome beating, he looked dog rough against Clottey and I thought he was going to get stopped at one stage, and we know howe the Pacquiao fight went. Sincve then, he's beaten Yuri Foreman, Mayorga and a shot-to-shit Margarito. I never watched the Margarito rematch but frankly I think Cotto is not going to be particularly competitive vs Mayweather, he'd lose to Pacquiao in a rematch and it won't be long before he's putting himself in dangerous positions. I didn;t think the Cotto of 5 years ago would cope wuth Mayweather's speed - I'm damn sure hge won't now.

Mayweather's not a concussive puncher.

The only danger Cotto has in this fight, is being made to look stupid.

Barring that, he should make a good account of himself and at least give Floyd something to think about.

Mayweather relies heavily on reflexes and it's a simple fact that as you get older, they slow down.

They've both deteriorated in the past 5 years, not just Cotto alone.

Cotto went from an exceptional prospect to the equivalent of a Tim Bradley - a solid all-rounder, in the space of a couple of fights.

It doesn't mean that he's a terrible fighter though and it doesn't mean that he has absolutely no chance.

It doesn't matter who was thrown in against Floyd, they would still be a massive underdog. As far as the potential list of opponents goes, I think Cotto is up there with the pick of what's left.

Picking out the Foreman and Margarito fights is fine - I don't think Cotto lost a single round to either of them, so it shows he's clearly leagues above those guys and deserving of a far better matchup.

Picking out the Foreman and Margarito fights is fine - I don't think Cotto lost a single round to either of them, so it shows he's clearly leagues above those guys and deserving of a far better matchup.

He may well deserve better, but that doesn't make him a good opponent for Mayweather - I'd rather see Cotto impress against another light middle than Margarito before I put him in as a Floyd opponent, and I'd rather see Floys take on someone like Bradley or, ideally, Martinez.

Although I wasn't specifically suggesting Floyd was a dangerous fight for Cotto, I don't think Leavander Johnson died at the hands of a concussive puncher, so it's not necessarily a "safe" fight either, and the shellacking Lacy got from Calzaghe wasn't ok just cos Calzaghe's power had long gone.

Mayweather doesn't need to be a concussive puncher to beat Cotto, nor even to stop him. All he needs is the power he has got coupled with the accuracy. Cotto is far too slow of hand and foot to even begin to make a fight of it with Mayweather, and further more he always was.

He will be stopped around the tenth, with ease.

And for someone way out of his comfort zone at LWW, Marquez hardly disgraced himself last month at 142 did he?

Assuming these matches come off, it's my opinion, yes - if I'm wrong and Cotto isn't shot, he's better than Bradley by a long chalk, but as it stands, even though Bradley is unexceptional, he's in his prime and, though he's a 140 fighter, Pacquiao is essentially halfway between LWW and welter, so it's fair enough.

Assuming these matches come off, it's my opinion, yes - if I'm wrong and Cotto isn't shot, he's better than Bradley by a long chalk, but as it stands, even though Bradley is unexceptional, he's in his prime and, though he's a 140 fighter, Pacquiao is essentially halfway between LWW and welter, so it's fair enough.

Well said.

P34c3

Been talk of Floyd fighting Andre Berto.

That's out now with Berto's injury, as it was it was going to require a very difficult turn around for Berto, fighting Feb 11th and then again May 5th. It was a longshot but now it's not even that.

The suggestion was that Berto just concentrates on the May 5th Floyd date. But all unsubstantiated rumour.