John Ryder concentrating on Italian job

The_budweiser

Islington lad taking his career one fight at a time

Hotly fancied Middleweight John Ryder will be making his ninth professional appearance at York Hall on Saturday night (January 28), live on Sky Sports HD1 and Sky Sports 1.

A Twitter war broke out over the Islington local's potential clash with fellow young gun Billy Joe Saunders following an impressive 2011 which saw 'The Gorilla' win all six of his bouts catapulting him into the spotlight.

But Ryder says he is happy to take his time and remains one of the most level-headed fighters considering his age and massive talent. And while the rival promoters and Saunders were talking about the fight, Ryder remained silent.

"I just let them get on with it really," said Ryder, who faces Italian Matteo Rossi on Saturday (5-1-1). "I don't think there's any appeal to the fight at the moment really. It needs to build a bit and get some more interest first because when we do eventually fight, it should be a really big occasion. But I have no need to go out and chase a fight with him and he's the same - it is the sort of fight that needs to have titles on the line as it could be a real classic British title fight one day.

"I'd fight Saunders tomorrow and I'd be confident of winning but as Eddie (Hearn, Ryder's promoter) said to me, you don't just take fight just because someone is calling you out and he's right. I've got Eddie and Tony (Sims, Ryder's trainer) to guide me and I trust them completely so when the time is right for a big fight like that, I'll know because it will be on the table in the right way. My job is to train and learn in the gym and Eddie and Tony take care of business."

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/boxing-news/39981-john-ryder-concentrating-on-italian-job.html#ixzz1kefOmq4Z