Rebello hoping to stay the course on Feb. 3

The_budweiser

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (Jan. 24, 2012) – The last time Greg Rebello stepped inside the cage, he left covered in blood. You should’ve seen the guy who lost.

The Providence, R.I., native put a bloody end to his Sept. 9 bout against Cody Lightfoot with a sneaky, left kick to the forehead, opening a cut above Lightfoot’s eye that eventually prompted referee Kevin MacDonald to stop the fight in the second round.

“I knew he had a good chin and would be difficult to stop, so my plan was to cut him up,” Rebello said. “It worked out better than I thought it would.”

The win kept Rebello (13-3, 7 KOs) – ranked No. 1 in the northeast among light heavyweights – on the cusp of earning a lucrative bout with one of mixed martial arts’ premier organizations, a spot he hopes to hold onto Friday, Feb. 3, 2012 when he faces White Plains, N.Y., native Mike Stewart (5-3, 2 KOs) on the undercard of Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment & Sports’ “Extreme Measures” show at the Twin River Event Center in Lincoln, R.I.

Each victory adds more pressure as Rebello works continuously to maintain a balance between focusing on the task at hand and acknowledging the importance of each fight, knowing one slip-up could knock him off the radar.

“Though it’s kind of hard not to, I don’t think about it at all, to tell you the truth,” Rebello said. “I’m just thinking about going in there and performing my best. More importantly, I’m trying to listen to what my coaches are telling me to do.”

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/boxing-news/39902-rebello-hoping-to-stay-the-course-on-feb-3-as-he-closes-in-on-major-payday-.html#ixzz1kYxVzSfI