Derry Mathews fight fri night - ref and judges

EMILIANO MARSILI does not believe Derry Mathews has the punching power to knock him out.

The 35-year-old Italian came face to face with Mathews for the first time at yesterday’s weigh-in, where both men made the lightweight limit.

But the unbeaten Marsili (23-0-1) has studied Mathews’ most recent fights and reckons, although well schooled, the Liverpool man lacks a sting in his shots.

Understandably Mathews (29-5-1), who has stopped three of his last four opponents, laughed off Marsili’s claims ahead of tonight’s IBO ‘world’ title showdown.

“Technically Derry is good but is not a hard puncher,” said Marsili, who landed in Liverpool on Wednesday.

Derry’s response was straight to the point.

“Believe me, I punch harder than most lightweights and when I hit him tonight he is in for a shock.”

Mathews, a WBU champion at featherweight, has looked strong since moving up to 9st 9lbs and made the limit comfortably.

However Marsili had grappled with the weight right up to hitting the scales at David Lloyd in Speke.

The ECHO has learnt Marsili that had not eaten for two days prior to the weigh-in and unconfirmed reports say the Lazio man spent two hours in the sauna, trying to lose the remaining pounds.

However Marsili did tell the ECHO, through an interpreter, that his training camp was gruelling.

Marsili appeared relaxed when talking to the ECHO but the remains of two black eyes suggest the Italian was put through the ringer in sparring.

“There has been a long, hard preparation for this fight because I have not fought since July. It has been stressful to prepare for this,” he said.