David Price vs John McDermott - Who wins?

WelshDevilRob

McDermott is a lot like Danny Williams, in that he lacks self-confidence and you never really know what Big Bad John will turn up. If the motivated version that fought Fury first time turns up, it could be a good fight. Either way, we should, at the very least, find out a bit more about Price in this one. At the moment, we don't know too much. His best win so far is against Dallas, who is pants (and came in at very late notice).

I see McDermott as just being a "comparison opponent" and Price's victory just being used as a means to possibly sell a Price-Fury fight. I can't see anyone thinking the Doughboy has a serious shot in this one.

Doughboy could concieveable have had 4 wins more than he has (Krence, Williams twice and Fury) so he isn't useless...but yeah Price is a heavyweight heading towards the top IMO.

I see McDermott as just being a "comparison opponent" and Price's victory just being used as a means to possibly sell a Price-Fury fight. I can't see anyone thinking the Doughboy has a serious shot in this one.

What happens if Big John lands clean on Price's chin? Who's to say Price won't drop like a sack of spuds when or if that happens? Not saying it will happen, but we haven't seen Price take a serious shot to the chin yet. We actually know very little about the man, other than he can knock over the usual gang of bowling pins. He's obviously talented and packs a punch, but we're still in "wait-and-see" mode with regards to him.

What happens if Big John lands clean on Price's chin? Who's to say Price won't drop like a sack of spuds when or if that happens? Not saying it will happen, but we haven't seen Price take a serious shot to the chin yet. We actually know very little about the man, other than he can knock over the usual gang of bowling pins. He's obviously talented and packs a punch, but we're still in "wait-and-see" mode with regards to him.

I wasn't overly-impressed with Price until he took Dallas out.

Tom was and is a decent fighter, and it's a good indicator of where he stands, at least as fas as British level.

He's big, he can bang, and due to his height, will be difficult to hit cleanly enough to KO.

McDermott isn't really big enough to land the hayemaker imo.

It;s a different kettle of fish when you have to punch up instead of getting your full bodyweight behind it (he has plenty of that mind mlol/ )

I was never impressed with Dallas, BB.

Anyone who receives a boxing lesson from a perennial loser like Zack Page can't be much cop. Plus, he came in at very late notice against Price and can't have been at 100%, so for me, that victory didn't tell me a whole lot, other than Price can whack very, very hard. And I'm not being wise after the event - when that fight was announced, I posted on the Banter Forum that Price would walk through Dallas if he was halfway decent.

It's possible that he has a suspect chin that might be exposed, but I tend to give the benefit of the doubt on that until I see it as potential trouble. So far I haven't seen anything to cause concern, but I do agree that the level of opposition might've let a subpar chin slip by thusfar. McDermott probably CAN answer that to a degree, so perhaps it has some value if it can go a few rounds.

I posted when Dallas was getting some press that I'd seen a few of his fights and thought he's greatest skill was being tall grin// I just don't know what people saw in him or saw in War Machine. There's some good young talent in the Brit HW scene, but some pretenders that are drafting with the pack as they come around the track, Dallas was one of them and Price's win hardly surprising.

I posted when Dallas was getting some press that I'd seen a few of his fights and thought he's greatest skill was being tall grin// I just don't know what people saw in him or saw in War Machine. There's some good young talent in the Brit HW scene, but some pretenders that are drafting with the pack as they come around the track, Dallas was one of them and Price's win hardly surprising.

I've seen Dallas training and he has a huge uppercut. He puts some nice combos together and really did look the part. He was also shifting some good shots and imo had the better of Price in a sparring session they had over 8 rounds.

It's a shame he never really carried what he did in training over into his fights, and ultimately starting so late meant he never really got himself into the mix and the manner in which Price took him out was all the more impressive given they sparred a lot and Dallas took everything Price threw at him.

Price has some pretty devastating power, the way he took McDermott out there too....the biggest thing other heavyweights have to worry about is that he's hardly landed any flush shots, but it still putting people down heavily with glancing blows.

He has some pretty heavy hands and decent enough speed. For a guy standing 6'8" it's a pretty promising combination.

I've seen Dallas training and he has a huge uppercut. He puts some nice combos together and really did look the part. He was also shifting some good shots and imo had the better of Price in a sparring session they had over 8 rounds.

It's a shame he never really carried what he did in training over into his fights, and ultimately starting so late meant he never really got himself into the mix and the manner in which Price took him out was all the more impressive given they sparred a lot and Dallas took everything Price threw at him.

I think it just goes to show that you have to take what you see in sparring with a pinch of salt. Bernard Dunne used to get the better of Manny Pacquiao on a regular basis at the Wildcard. Ultimately, all we can go on is what we see in the ring and Dallas never looked like anything worth raving about, in my opinion.