Pacquiao Changing His Mind Again?

gavpowell

MANILA, Philippines — After learning a painful lesson in a weight class that doesn’t suit his body, Manny Pacquiao will demand that his next fight — very likely against Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico on June 9 — would be at the welterweight limit of 147 lbs.

“It’s hard for me to fight at a higher weight class,” Pacquiao told the Bulletin when asked whether a rematch with Cotto can still be made.

Not at 150 lbs, said Pacquiao. Not even at 149 or 148 lbs.

Now, previously, he refused to go up to light middle to fight Foreman, saying it was too much for him to fight above 147. Then all of a sudden, he's fighting Margarito for a light middle belt, even though he weighed in under the welterweight limit(still not sure how that works). Now he's decided Cotto's a possible opponent, but he couldn't possibly have the fight above 147lbs.

Either Pacquiao is indecisive or this is further evidence to support my theory that , like Cotto, he gets bullied into doing as he's told by Uncle Bob.

Nothing to do with Mayweather, so let's leave that out of it, just interested to see whether people have a different take on it to me.

I dont know what you are getting at.

The little twit couldn't weigh 154 if he put a crombie on in the rain. The only gain for Arum, is if he picks an in house fighter, and tells them they have to weigh whatever suits his cash cow, because he cant weigh anymore than 148 by fight time.

Any other fighter who doesn't "need " Arums money can tell him to shove his little fighter up his ass if they make silly catchweight demands. Obviously Mosley and his people did exactly that when they were approached for a fight at 142, just after the Hatton fight was it?

If you don't want to fight at a higher weight Manny fight a welterweight fighter and stop bitching your way through all these divisions and making some up as you go, this guy is becoming a joke.

We had Cotto having to come in at 145 or 146 yet put his welterweight title on the line, we had him fight Tony at some stupid weight for a light middle title. Now he wants Cotto to kill himself to fight him again.

Piss off and retire Manny, you aint got the balls to stand up to your promoter and your pissing everyone off making fights completelty in your favour.

Fight Marquez again after he handed you your arse last time around, he will spank you at welter again if you stop offering him shit deals.

Fight Bradley at welter or light welter, he would kill to take you on.

People slag off Floyd for cherry picking, this guy is worse.

The catchweight game from Bob gets old, he only made Cotto struggle the last time so that he could use it as an excuse when he tried to market Miguel in other post-Manny fights and this, the rematch. Thank God people are finally getting on Manny for not realizing as he should of years ago, that this piece of shit Arum is supposed to be working for him, not the other way around. Manny's teflon is FINALLY starting to wear off.

Halle f&&king lujah. Some of us have been saying this little twerp was smoke and mirrors for a few years, but at last more and more people are catching on. Anyone can hide behind apron strings. It suits Pakow to let Arum get the shit from fight fans, if he was a real man he would over rule Arum, and take fighters on at the proper weights.

It sickens me when some people mention this fool in the same breath as SRR. He had fights against both much heavier, and much lighter guys without all this stipulations garbage.

He's specifically said that he WON'T be fighting a catchweight fight ever again, so how is that reason to slate him?

He's said he'll fight at the welterweight limit and no higher.

He's got a 147lbs world title, so he can stay there and fight whoever wants to fight him.

He's effectively ruling out a Cotto rematch with those comments anyway.

Cotto can't make 147 lbs and there is no real call for a rematch between the 2.

I am also personally sick of Arum matching Pacquiao with inhouse fighters. A lot of them have been warranted or good/fair matchups, but now that he's beaten all of the legitimate contenders, he's trying to recycle the old ones.

It's not on, when there are plenty of far better opponents available.

If it's not Mayweather, Bradley or someone else worthy of fighting, then it's a waste of a fight, when Pacquiao clearly only has a couple of fights left in him.

Cotto can't make 147 lbs and there is no real call for a rematch between the 2.

Are you serious, didn't you hear Bob talking about how great the first four rounds of their first fight was???? Even for Arum, this is a new low. I wouldn't get up and look out the window to watch this fight, much less shell out $50 for a PPV. thumbd//

I just think it's interesting Pacquiao is back to the "I don't want to go above welterweight" - if that were the case, why fight for the light-middle title some months later? Presumably just so he could add yet another weight to his list of conquests, with yet another caveat next to it. I just wonder if he realises the irony of "going up to 150 was really hard on my body" - yeah, so was dragging those other fighters down to below their natural weight. I get the impression Pacquiao really does want the Mayweather fight and is beginning to get pissed off with new reasons for it not happening, but either way, I wonder if he may end up either leaving Arum or finally having the balls to tell him to stop dicking around. If he does, hopefully Cotto does the same.

He must have meant having the strength or the power to keep Margarito from plodding relentlessly forward was hard on his body, because he only weighed in at just under 145, and I doubt he was even 150 by fight time. And even if he was so what? Putting on 5 lbs wont hurt him.

If you don't want to fight at a higher weight Manny fight a welterweight fighter and stop bitching your way through all these divisions and making some up as you go, this guy is becoming a joke.

We had Cotto having to come in at 145 or 146 yet put his welterweight title on the line, we had him fight Tony at some stupid weight for a light middle title. Now he wants Cotto to kill himself to fight him again.

Piss off and retire Manny, you aint got the balls to stand up to your promoter and your pissing everyone off making fights completelty in your favour.

Fight Marquez again after he handed you your arse last time around, he will spank you at welter again if you stop offering him shit deals.

Fight Bradley at welter or light welter, he would kill to take you on.

People slag off Floyd for cherry picking, this guy is worse.

I'm not sure if you are trying to get me back for baiting you on fb, Aaron, but that's nonsense. Worse? Let's see. Barrera (2x), Morales (3x), Marquez (3x) and that's before his campaign at 147lb. No, he's not worse than Floyd, who made Hatton come up to 147lb a weight that Ricky couldn't handle previously just as one example, but fighting Cotto again is taking the biscuit. Although I am still holding my breath in the hope that won't become a reality. But you are right in your first paragraph. Bradley's a welterweight so there's no excuse to not take him on. The fact is, there is nobody out there for either Floyd or Manny but themselves to face one another and people are getting BORED. But if Manny should retire then so should Floyd as he's got nothing else to do in the sport, either.

Hahaha, you've got to laugh at the perverted logic of the Mayeather haters. Lets all crow about Pakow, for being a stand up guy and rematching guys he has already beaten, with Cotto looking likely to be rehashed next. LMAO

How about we drag Hatton out of retirement so that Mayweather can KO him again like when he was the first to do so, or lets let him go in with Mosley, Marquez, or Baldomir, and make them look like bumbling amatuers again, then we can all sing his praises.

I dont think so.

Whether it's Mayweather, Pacquiao or khan, I wish someone would hurry up and beat Bradley.

Out of those two plus one over Bradley, I'm afraid it would never be Khan, IMO, and I've held this view for the longest time, way before Bradley over DA.

I respect your wish tho'.

One other thing: I think Khan would lose to Mike Jones should they meet at 147; hopefully I'm not getting ahead of myself, ha.

P34c3

Whether it's Mayweather, Pacquiao or khan, I wish someone would hurry up and beat Bradley.

Out of those two plus one over Bradley, I'm afraid it would never be Khan, IMO, and I've held this view for the longest time, way before Bradley over DA.

I respect your wish tho'.

One other thing: I think Khan would lose to Mike Jones should they meet at 147; hopefully I'm not getting ahead of myself, ha.

P34c3

I don't think Khan beats many guys he can't blow out of the water in the opening 6 at 147

Bradley may have acted like a total tool in 2011, but he's still a very good fighter and nobody's gimme.

As for Khan, if he thought Peterson was too rough with his head, I hate to see how he'd cope with Bradley.

Why is that, Gav? Unlike a lot of fighters, Bradley has the desire to face just about anybody and always gives it 150%. Last year was a bit disappointing for him but only because he had managerial problems that needed sorting out.

Why is that, Gav? Unlike a lot of fighters, Bradley has the desire to face just about anybody and always gives it 150%. Last year was a bit disappointing for him but only because he had managerial problems that needed sorting out.

I think it may just be because he's really not an exceptional fighter and isn't great to watch.

I have nothing against the guy, but he's just a very solid all-rounder, without excelling in any area.

There's nothing about him that makes you think you're watching a superstar.

His KO ratio is pretty low, and he isn't making up for that by sweeping guys aside with his superior boxing ability.

He's scraping past a few fighters, and he's getting away with a lot of fouls.

He's just crying out for someone who is that class above to take him out of the "elite mix" imo.

I think it may just be because he's really not an exceptional fighter and isn't great to watch.

I have nothing against the guy, but he's just a very solid all-rounder, without excelling in any area.

There's nothing about him that makes you think you're watching a superstar.

His KO ratio is pretty low, and he isn't making up for that by sweeping guys aside with his superior boxing ability.

He's scraping past a few fighters, and he's getting away with a lot of fouls.

He's just crying out for someone who is that class above to take him out of the "elite mix" imo.

Word perfect - he's not exciting, he's not technically interesting, he's no charismatic, he's just sort of there, butting and mauling his way into the mix like a welterweight John Ruiz.