Beibut Shumenov - The US is the ideal place for a fight

The_budweiser

Beibut Shumenov "The US is the ideal place for a fight between two world champions from Kazakhstan and the UK"

Ringnews24.com: Ringnews24 last spoke to you in June 2011, how was your Christmas and New Year?

Beibut Shumenov: I spent the holidays in Las Vegas with my team.

Ringnews24.com: You said that your goal to unify the Light Heavyweight Division, has anything changed or is that still your aim in 2012?

Beibut Shumenov: To unify the world light heavyweight has been my goal since I first won the WBA title. It’s my dream and I will keep trying to pursue it.

Ringnews24.com: Team Cleverly have said they wish to fight you but your recent press release said that no offer was made can you clarify things? Is it true that team Shumenov offered Cleverly a fight in Las Vegas and Warren Promotions never got back about the potential match up?

Beibut Shumenov: What my advisor - Hall of Fame promoter Don Chargin - said in the press release is the truth of the matter. I never turned down any fight against Cleverly. We offered them a fight in Las Vegas and they never responded.

Ringnews24.com: Were you upset/disappointed when Warren Promotions said that you turned down a fight that was never offered?

Beibut Shumenov: What his promoter may say doesn’t affect me because I don’t pay attention to that stuff at all. I respect Cleverly as another World Champion. We tried to make a fight but they didn’t want it for whatever their reasons were. I can’t control what others say or do. I just do my job and surround myself with good people.

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/boxing-news/37755-beibut-shumenov-qthe-us-is-the-ideal-place-for-a-fight-between-two-world-champions-from-kazakhstan-and-the-ukq.html#ixzz1jNPvg6hR

Good interview. Maybe focused a bit too much on the possibility of a Cleverly fight, but Shumenov was quite respectful and made a good account of himself.

It's definitely a fight I'd like to see. Las Vegas is effectively a "home fight" for him now though, so it makes no odds whether it's Cardiff or the US.

One of them will be the home fighter if it happens.

This fight doesn't make sense anywhere else, because there's nowhere else it makes the same money...

Good interview. Maybe focused a bit too much on the possibility of a Cleverly fight, but Shumenov was quite respectful and made a good account of himself.

It's definitely a fight I'd like to see. Las Vegas is effectively a "home fight" for him now though, so it makes no odds whether it's Cardiff or the US.

One of them will be the home fighter if it happens.

This fight doesn't make sense anywhere else, because there's nowhere else it makes the same money...

I was focussing attentionally on Cleverly, two press releases from Warren and Shumenov's promoters said different things. I just wanted to find out Beibuts side of things.

Is Shumenov a draw in Las Vegas? Interms of the division where do people rate him?

He's had a couple good fights in Vegas, including the Campillo rematch, so yes, he's got a bit of a following there. He's tough as nails and hits a ton, but to be honest, any slick boxer is going to present all kinds of difficulties for him. Fortunately for him, the few that fight in the LH division that fit that bill (Dawson, Cloud, etc.) picture themselves above Beibut and so he's unlikely to run into that problem for the foreseeable future.