Groves-Anderson rematch set for Wembley Arena

The_budweiser

Promoter Frank Warren has confirmed that George Groves' British Super-Middleweight title defence against Kenny Anderson will headline the Wembley Arena on Friday 16th March.

The fight will be televised live and exclusive on the New Home of Boxing BoxNation (Sky Ch. 456/Virgin Ch. 546).

Warren this week won the purse bids to stage the fight which will be a rematch of their November 2010 war that saw Groves heavily floored in the third round, only to come back and stop the Edinburgh hardman in the sixth.

Hammersmith star Groves, 23, says he will have the edge on experience to deal with Anderson and that this time he will make it much easier.

"Anderson did well to get to the mandatory position and I'm more than happy to take him on again," Said Groves.

"I'm really going to relish it this time around and I'll do a much better job on him. Since I beat him I've faced a much higher calibre of opponent than he has and picked up much more experience against the likes of James DeGale and Paul Smith,"

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/boxing-news/37752-groves-anderson-rematch-set-for-wembley-arena.html#ixzz1jMHlBT2c

• 2 weeks later...
I fear Groves is right, Anderson has been fighting at the same level for a while now excluding the fight withGroves, while groves has stepped up a level or two and looked quite good in doing so. Should still be a good fight and one to look forward to. I think the fight could end around the same time as their first meeting.

Stepped up a level or two? Beating DeGale is maybe 1 level up...but the useless ugly scouse cunt is 2 levels behind Anderson.

I fear Groves is right, Anderson has been fighting at the same level for a while now excluding the fight withGroves, while groves has stepped up a level or two and looked quite good in doing so. Should still be a good fight and one to look forward to. I think the fight could end around the same time as their first meeting.

Stepped up a level or two? Beating DeGale is maybe 1 level up...but the useless ugly scouse C*** is 2 levels behind Anderson.

lol... how come you hate Smith so much?

Stepped up a level or two? Beating DeGale is maybe 1 level up...but the useless ugly scouse C*** is 2 levels behind Anderson.

lol... how come you hate Smith so much?

They had a War of words over the internet. grin//

They had a War of words over the internet. grin//

Oh.... how did that all come about then?

The inbred one had a go at Bud for being a drunk then had a go at ringnews24 so I decided to call the fuckwit up on it..he threatened to sue me then pussied out...Then claimed I was throwing insults at his brother...basically he's a mongoloid who made my day when he thought Groves didn't "hit as hard as he thinks he does and isn't as good as people think he is".

Bud asked him for an interview on twitter, he basically replied with "fuck off your site is shit and your a drunk" which fair enough Bud had had a few (IIRC it was his birthday and a Friday night...) then he decided to slag off all the writers (I've not contributed a piece in a long time so that wasn't really a shot at me) but it was his whole attitude that just pissed me off.

I decided to write a blog looking at his hypocrisy and the way he rubs people up the wrong way and the way he replied to bud, including his picking up on Bud putting a comma in a twitter message whilst having typos and spelling mistakes in a number of his own twitter messages (I thought it was ironic enough to pull him up on). Then one of his answers made me question whether he was thick or was showing signs of getting punched in the head too much.

A few days later he did an interview with Boxingscene slagging me off which was funny as a day or too earlier he didn't want to do any interviews with anyone.

I actually think Groves is making a massive mistake here.

Sometimes your lucky to get a win and you should just move on.

Groves managed to pull it off against an Anderson who was coming in on 48hrs notice.

Anderson is a lot better than he gets credit for. A fully trained and fit Anderson is capable of beating Groves, and possibly DeGale.

I think the same with the DeGale fight.

Groves got lucky that night, returning to the scene of the crime would be a massive mistake.

Better to have people constantly talking about the outcome, than taking the rematch and losing.

Its not that I dont rate Groves, theres plenty of evidence on Banter that I do, its just that I think DeGale is a better fighter and Anderson is extremely underated.

Groves managed to pull it off against an Anderson who was coming in on 48hrs notice.

Anderson is a lot better than he gets credit for. A fully trained and fit Anderson is capable of beating Groves, and possibly DeGale.

Groves got lucky that night, returning to the scene of the crime would be a massive mistake.

Better to have people constantly talking about the outcome, than taking the rematch and losing.

Its not that I dont rate Groves, theres plenty of evidence on Banter that I do, its just that I think DeGale is a better fighter and Anderson is extremely underated.

I agree very underated lacks speed but has good skills, he was a very good amatuer, gold medalist in commonwealths. Its a really risky fight, dont think Groves has impeoved much, its imo 50/50

I agree very underated lacks speed but has good skills, he was a very good amatuer, gold medalist in commonwealths. Its a really risky fight, dont think Groves has impeoved much, its imo 50/50

Surprising. I had thought the first fight was more of a fluke-type of thing and that Groves would be able to handle Anderson easily on the second-go-around. Sounds like it might be more of a struggle than I thought.

Tbh, I never thought too much of Groves until he handled DeGale and Smith the way he did...he seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds, so I think at the point they last fought, their respective levels made for a very good fight.

This time around, I think that gulf has only grown and Groves should find an easier nights work ahead for him.

I wouldn't say the result in the first fight was a fluke. There really wasn't much to choose between them.

However, the Groves that fought that night has long been left behind and he should have too much in his arsenal now for Anderson to deal with.

Tbh, I never thought too much of Groves until he handled DeGale and Smith the way he did...he seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds, so I think at the point they last fought, their respective levels made for a very good fight.

This time around, I think that gulf has only grown and Groves should find an easier nights work ahead for him.

I wouldn't say the result in the first fight was a fluke. There really wasn't much to choose between them.

However, the Groves that fought that night has long been left behind and he should have too much in his arsenal now for Anderson to deal with.

Thanks, Brawler. I've actually watched the fight and "fluke" probably WAS too strong a word, it's more a case like you say, and Groves has advanced further from the time of the first fight and left Anderson in his wake........if he hasn't, then we'll see a second surprise grin//

You can make the case for Kenny that he hardly anytime to prepare for the fight, but neither did George.

His camp was spent preparing for James Obede Toney, only for the fight to be postponed and then cancelled completely, with Anderson coming in as a late replacement.

I think George will show his class in this fight and won't be caught clean like the first fight. I like George by a mid round stoppage again.

Another night in London beckons me mlol/