Kevin Mitchell has promised to win a world title this year

The_budweiser

Kevin Mitchell has promised to win a world title this year after a nightmare 2011

The Dagenham Destroyer returns to action on Friday 10th February to defend his WBO Intercontinental Lightweight title at London's York Hall.

Unbeaten Irishman Stephen Ormond pulled out of the fight and promoter Frank Warren is looking at a new challenger for Mitchell.

The 28-year-old had well documented problems outside of the ring last year despite his sensational eighth round stoppage win over rival John Murray in July

Mitchell said, "I was on a downward spiral and could have ended up in prison because of my drinking, but I've had a good kick up the backside and I realise that I want to become a world champion,"

"I lost it last year even though I had a great win over Murray, but I'm looking forward to returning to the York Hall with my home crowd behind me,"

"I'm not a playboy anymore and from now on I'm serious about winning the world title and making plenty of money to secure my future,"

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/boxing-news/36243-kevin-mitchell-has-promised-to-win-a-world-title-this-year-after-a-nightmare-2011.html#ixzz1ibmoAmIv

His only hope is Ricky Burns...

Mitchell isn't good enough for most world level fighters, but may be good enough for Burns.

A good domestic fight and a fair world title defence.

Mitchell may win a title but he won't hold onto it unless he fights guys like Evensen and Laryea.

He's probably lucky that the WBA have a few titles vacant now (Richard Abril is their interim champion, they don't have a regular champion or a "Super" champion), the WBC title is held by DeMarco (who is very out-boxable...though that could end up being an absolute war). Vazquez would box his sock off though.