The Greatest overseas Victory ever

leerhodes

In my opinion it has got to be on the 27th sept 1986 lloyd Honeygan took his 27 fight unbeaten welterweight run to the ceasars hotel,New Jersey to face the best pound 4 pound fighter in the world Don " the cobra " Curry.

Curry had been ko previous champions for fun and looked unbeatable,nobody thought Honeygan would last 3 rounds and didnt give him a prayer.

What we were to witness was the best achievement of a british boxer on american soil ever.Honeygan took the fight to Curry and after a steady first round totally took control with Curry looking bewildered and asking his corner what to do after four rounds.Curry retired in the 6th after a big beating.

Have u any favourite overseas victorys ?

Re: The Greatest overseas Victory ever

In my opinion it has got to be on the 27th sept 1986 lloyd Honeygan took his 27 fight unbeaten welterweight run to the ceasars hotel,New Jersey to face the best pound 4 pound fighter in the world Don " the cobra " Curry.

Curry had been ko previous champions for fun and looked unbeatable,nobody thought Honeygan would last 3 rounds and didnt give him a prayer.

What we were to witness was the best achievement of a british boxer on american soil ever.Honeygan took the fight to Curry and after a steady first round totally took control with Curry looking bewildered and asking his corner what to do after four rounds.Curry retired in the 6th after a big beating.

Have u any favourite overseas victorys ?

There exists no argument whatsoever to this totally truthfully written post.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Re: The Greatest overseas Victory ever

Totally agree. Curry was considered unbeatable before the fight, many thought he'd be the man to end Hagler's reign as Middleweight champ.

BTW, keep an eye out for my Honeyghan feature that's being posted soon, it covers the Curry fight amongst others.

You're right, but Lennox Lewis also had a couple good victories in the US, of course If you consier him british

He is definitely British. (The hospital records say so) :-)

-------- Those Brits, they definitely touch all the hot spots.

I would think given the thread header, that the criteria should properly be a blend of top shelf overseas victories combined with the difficulty of the vanquished opponent and the difficulty in fighting in that locale with regards to prefight and ring conditions and overcoming the adversity of a home crowd and officials.

I'd put Danny Little Red Lopez taking the belt from a dynamic David Kotey in front of 100,000+ Ghana compatriots ranks up with the best examples that can be found.

Also John Tate and Mike Weaver taking on the formidable Gerrie Coetzee in front of similar numbers of South Africans during the apartheid era, a fight Larry Holmes ducked in spite of a record purse offer, that's up there as well.

-

-

• 2 weeks later...