Ask The Star with referee Ian John Lewis

The_budweiser

Ringnews24.com: You had a pretty extensive fighting career yourself before putting on the bow tie as the third man in the ring, what advantages do you think that affords a Ref having been a pugilist himself?

Ian John Lewis: It's a great advantage, as I believe that I do have a better insight with the action taking place inside the ring.

Ringnews24.com: Could you tell us a bit about and how and why you became become a referee?

Ian John Lewis: In 1989 I was hired to spar with the very good fighter Gary Jacobs from Scotland, we had a week of intensive sparring and to be honest we kicked the hell out of each other on a daily basis. I was chatting to my manager he asked me what I was going to do after my career, I was considering going into coaching and training fighters. He said "I think you would make a excellent referee" which did stick in my mind after I retired from the ring

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/boxing-news/interviews/32040-ian-john-lewis-qit-is-the-hardest-part-of-being-a-referee-to-make-the-decision-when-to-stop-a-fightq.html#ixzz1hAnRXNBN

By Dave Allen aka Dallen