Ajose Olusegun calls out Erik Morales

The_budweiser

He's been in the #1 spot for something like 3 years....

Finally got Chebah to step into the ring after 3 pullouts cost him a year out, to land the mandatory slot..

Then Morales signs to fight Danny Garcia in January, completely ignoring Olusegun, and his mandatory status....

I don't know what this guys has to do to catch a break.

At least the WBC have finally stepped in and enforced the Garcia vs Morales winner to face Olusegun by May.

Honestly though, I can see Morales giving up the belt.

Finally got Chebah to step into the ring after 3 pullouts cost him a year out, to land the mandatory slot..

Then Morales signs to fight Danny Garcia in January, completely ignoring Olusegun, and his mandatory status....

At least the WBC have finally stepped in and enforced the Garcia vs Morales winner to face Olusegun by May.

On the flip...who did Olusegun beat to get a high ranking? Lynes? Wright? Haywood? His best wins (Chebah aside) are over Nuumbembe and Pryce...in Welterweight bouts...=/

On the flip...who did Olusegun beat to get a high ranking? Lynes? Wright? Haywood? His best wins (Chebah aside) are over Nuumbembe and Pryce...in Welterweight bouts...=/

I know for a fact that he has been chasing far far bigger fights than the ones he's managed to get.

He tried to make a fight with both Hatton and Witter, but was turned down flat.

He has had a high ranking for years, but noone at the next level has wanted any piece of him...

He's very much in the "we don't need you club" and though many fighters are spoken of as being "avoided" Olusegun is very much in this category.

Other factors may come into play - risk>reward, he doesn't have a huge fanbase, he doesn't bring much money to the table, he doesn't have the backing of a to promoter to land him the shots in the first place...

He featured on a couple of ITV cards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and imo has been ready for a fight of this magnitude since then.

It's a shame he's had to wait until he's 32/33 to get a world title shot, as he's probably starting to go down the other side of his peak now...

I know for a fact that he has been chasing far far bigger fights than the ones he's managed to get.

He tried to make a fight with both Hatton and Witter, but was turned down flat.

He has had a high ranking for years, but noone at the next level has wanted any piece of him...

He's very much in the "we don't need you club" and though many fighters are spoken of as being "avoided" Olusegun is very much in this category.

Other factors may come into play - risk>reward, he doesn't have a huge fanbase, he doesn't bring much money to the table, he doesn't have the backing of a to promoter to land him the shots in the first place...

He featured on a couple of ITV cards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and imo has been ready for a fight of this magnitude since then.

It's a shame he's had to wait until he's 32/33 to get a world title shot, as he's probably starting to go down the other side of his peak now...

Everyone and their dog was chasing the Hatton payday so it was no surprise that Hatton didn't take him up on it when he could get the fights with Mayweather and other US names with HBO behind him. Being avoided shouldn't give you a world ranking, beating European level fighters should and sadly he didn't manage to "earn" his ranking.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the talent as we all know he does, he's exceptional and was spending a long time fighting down to his opponents level, but if he's not managed to get himself a promoter HE has to cause a buzz or get a major fight, in all honesty he failed with on both counts. He's been a pro for over 10 years and only managed to run up 30 fights and in only 11 was he inside the LWW limit. He was the Commonwealth champion for the better part of 3 years and only managed 4 defences... It's been a waste of a lot of talent.

To be fair on the Commonwealth front, he was originally signed to fight Chebah in September 2010!

This was for a mandatory world title shot, so you can hardly blame him for hanging onto it...he ended up fighting a journeyman when Chebah pulled out the second time to stave off the inactivity, but it was largely Chebah and the SBC's fault that he has had to hang on for the best part of 2 years with only a single meaningful fight.

Chebah should have been disregarded and Olusegun immediately promoted to mandatory but they didn't do it.

It's also hardly like Olusegun isn't speaking up a good game, he's quite a colourful character both in and out of the ring, but he doesn't get reported on.

Hardly his fault again is it?

To be fair on the Commonwealth front, he was originally signed to fight Chebah in September 2010!

This was for a mandatory world title shot, so you can hardly blame him for hanging onto it...he ended up fighting a journeyman when Chebah pulled out the second time to stave off the inactivity, but it was largely Chebah and the SBC's fault that he has had to hang on for the best part of 2 years with only a single meaningful fight.

Chebah should have been disregarded and Olusegun immediately promoted to mandatory but they didn't do it.

It's also hardly like Olusegun isn't speaking up a good game, he's quite a colourful character both in and out of the ring, but he doesn't get reported on.

Hardly his fault again is it?

Other than hardcore boxing fans...has anyone heard of him? Did anyone watch his very fun to watch fight with Chebah? It's all great speaking a good game to a small crowd but you need to do something that will get out beyond the small time boxing crowd. It may not be his fault, but if no one is listening...you need shout louder.

And great he got a stay busy fight, but why not have a few more of them? Why not look towards the McCloskey's, the Lauri's and the Prescott's for a cross road fight if you're that desperate to make an impact?

Apparently he's been with Diella since summer and still no ones heard of him other than the most hardcore of hardcore fans...