McAllister title bid on internet

The_budweiser

Aberdeen boxer Lee McAllister's first defence of his Commonwealth lightweight title is to be shown live on the internet on Saturday.

The so-called Aberdeen Assassin faces Motherwell's Charlie King at Aberdeen's Beach Ballroom.

A deal means fans will be able to watch the fight live on the internet courtesy of a link-up with 110sport.

Boxing promoter Tommy Gilmour believes it will help to raise the profile of Scottish fighters.

He told BBC Scotland: "I think it's a great opportunity, something new, something that will fill the void."

McAllister, 26, stopped Ghana's Godfred Sowah in the third round to become the new Commonwealth lightweight champion in June.

He has won 29 of his 31 professional contests. King has won 15 of 16 bouts.

http://www.110sport.tv/

Lee McAllister knocked out Charlie King with a stunning right hook to retain his Commonwealth lightweight title.

McAllister dominated the fight but King had stood up well until he was caught by a hammer blow in the seventh round in Aberdeen's Beach Ballroom.

It was an impressive performance from McAllister, who won the title in June when he beat Godfriend Sowah, and may now earn a crack at the European crown.

The 27-year-old from Aberdeen improved his record to 30 wins in 32 contests.

He began as a big favourite against an opponent who had never boxed over 12 rounds and only once over 10.

In an otherwise even opener at the Beach Ballroom, McAllister landed one or two telling blows which King appeared to take well.

The champion continued to pick holes in King's defence but unwisely began taunting his opponent as early as the second.

King refused to be provoked in a cagey third round before the fight exploded into life in the next, with McAllister rocking the 26-year-old back more than once.

King responded on the counter but continued to be caught in the fifth and sixth.

The fight was over early in the next, this time a magnificent right from from McAllister knocking out King, who slumped against the ropes and was counted out.

McAllister said: "I took my time, I didn't have the zip about me. I got myself warmed up about the sixth round."

Of his knockout blow, he added: "If my right connects with anyone, I'm banging them out, no matter who they are."

He also had words of praise for King, saying: "He's from the steel city of Motherwell and he's as hard as steel."