Khan "i want to be lb for lb champ"

The_budweiser

Amir Khan knows that in order to be the best you have to fight the best and has reassured fans that he has no intention of taking the easy the easy route to the top.

Amir Khan knows that in order to be the best you have to fight the best and has reassured fans that he has no intention of taking the easy route to the top.

The 22-year-old, who won the WBA light welterweight title after out pointing Andreas Kotelnik in July, has ambitions to become the greatest fighter in his division and top the pound-for-pound rankings on the world stage.

The Bolton fighter believes by fighting the number one challenger Dmitriy Salita on December 5 in Newcastle it proves he is going about things the hard way.

"It's a huge fight, I'm the world champion and Dmitriy wants to come and take that title. It's going to be a tough fight and a long night but hopefully my game plan will work on the night," he said.

"This is what people want to see, they want to see Amir Khan fight tough fighters. Salita is the mandatory challenger and we're not taking the easy route, we're taking the hard route.

"I want to fight my mandatories, I don't want to take shortcuts. I want to fight whoever is out there.

"When I turned professional my ambition was to be a world champion. I've achieved that and now my ambition is to unify the belts and be the best fighter in my weight division.

"These are the fights I need if I want to become the champion I want to be."

In order to become the best in the light welterweight division, Khan will be in with the likes of stable mate Manny Pacquiao, Timothy Bradley and Nate Campbell. Former lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez has expressed interest in fighting in the division which may concern Khan who admitted he was not ready for Marquez.

Khan has travelled to the United States earlier than usual to begin training for the Salita fight with top coach Freddie Roach and revealed how becoming champ has increased his work ethic.

"I had a long break after beating Kotelnik and I wanted to get back to it earlier. I wanted to work on a few things I don't normally have the chance to work on," he said.

"Every fight I'm getting better and better. But Salita is tough and durable and he wants to take the title off me. That's making me train twice as hard, knowing there's someone out there who wants to take my title off me."

Salita, a Ukrainian fighter raised in New York, is unbeaten in 31 bouts and believes any talk of Khan's plans beyond December are premature.

"I'm very excited, I've been number one contender for a very long time and I'm very confident," said the 27-year-old.

"He's a good boxer but there are things in his game I can take advantage of.

"I see all the English writers talking about the next fight but I'm coming to get the title and bring it back to Brooklyn.

"I feel 100% ready for the task. I'm in with a very good fighter but I always imagined I would have to fight these kind of guys to be a champion."

khan is a brave kid, i dont think he is scared of any fighter, id much rather see him fight good fighters and put himself on the line rather than waste his career fighting has beens and bums like another very well known long reigning wbu champ before stepping up and fighting a faded legend to cement his place in british boxing history by winning a title that had been defended very few times in the previous three years, having said that id like to see khan beat a certain british light welterweight legend and send him off into retirement in his del boy three wheeler

not a fan of Hatton then Ironjab?

any reason?

well observed ian69, you should be on question of sport!! its not that im not a fan, ive always got behind ricky, even when hes been on a hiding to nothing against pbf and pacman, i felt physically sick and very worried when pacman knocked him out and of course very relieved when he got up, he seems like a good fella, i guess i am less of fan of frank warrens method of management, take the fighter through a load of bums to earn warren as much money as possible, i know the fighter earns too, but i dont think it does their legacy if you will, any favours. I believe that warren will try and make the hatton khan fight as he knows ricky is done and khan can easily, at this stage of their respective careers, outbox hatton and probably force a stoppage in the same vein as hatton did against tszyu and give khan the same kudos for defeating hatton as hatton gained for beating tszyu, if you see what i mean, sorry to bang on but i have spent the whole week redecorating my hallway, stairs and landing with my mrs who know fcuk all about boxing, you can think about alot of stuff while glossing lol