Latest Repo Ric Signing Paul Cano Turns Pro Tonight

The_budweiser

California’s Central Valley is becoming one of the hotbeds of young boxing talent in the country, and the latest promising fighter to emerge from the amateurs turn professional does so tonight. Clovis’ Paul Cano, who recently signed on with noted manager and boxing hype man Repo Ric, makes his debut in a four-round welterweight bout on the Telefutura Solo Boxeo undercard at the Woodland Community & Senior Center in Woodland, California.

Cano has been one of the top amateurs in the nation over the last two years. In addition to numerous state titles, Cano advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2010 USA Boxing National Championships and took part in the National Golden Gloves that same year. Despite his amateur credentials, Cano’s style is tailored made for the pros.

“The pitty pat amateur style was never really Paul’s fortay,” says Pete Lopes, Cano’s trainer. “He could do it, but he was definitely more suited for the pros. He’s a banger. He has a high punch ratio. Very tough. Granite chin. Rock hard body. Just a really hard worker. A strong Mexican fighter that I think the fans are going to love.”

Repo first got to know Cano while working with Saul Lomas, who was a promising fighter out of the Fresno area before an injury cut short his career in 2007. In fact, Lomas was a great inspiration for Cano wanting to become a pro boxer. “I used to see Repo Ric bring in one of his pro fighters, Saul Lomas, who was coming up,” recalls Cano. “Saul had a good aura and the way he was having fun with the sport of boxing and he was able to make a living out of boxing. I knew right then that is what I wanted to do. My coach, Pete Lopes, was actually Saul Lomas’ manager, so I saw him quite a bit. Seeing him be a professional boxer made me realize I could do the same thing he was doing. I still talk to him at this time and he gives me little pointers on becoming pro and he’s still someone the Central Valley looks up to as far as boxing goes.”

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/boxing-news/32000-latest-repo-ric-signing-paul-cano-turns-pro-tonight.html#ixzz1gjTK88B9