Cleverly takes on Polish Fighter .........

The_budweiser

Nathan Cleverly will fight in Wales for the first time as a world champion when he defends his WBO light-heavyweight title in Cardiff in early 2012.

The 24-year-old's third title defence, against the American-based Pole Andrzej Fonfara, will take place on Saturday, 25 February at the Motorpoint Arena.

"It will be great to fight on home turf again and I'm really looking forward to it," unbeaten Cleverly told BBC Sport.

His last contest in Wales was a points win over Joey Vegas in November 2007.

That was on the undercard of Joe Calzaghe's win over Mikkel Kessler and since then Cleverly has fought in London, Liverpool, Las Vegas and Swindon.

He has defeated Aleksy Kuziemski and Tony Bellew in his two WBO title defences and is looking forward to his sixth bout in the Welsh capital.

"I am coming back as a world champion," said Cleverly.

"And it will be a special feeling having a homecoming as a world champion. I'm going to relish that.

"I need to step up progressively to fight the big names, I'm only 24 so I've got time on my side."

Cleverly's promoter Frank Warren has started talks with WBA champion Beibut Shumenov over a possible unification showdown but the Welshman insists a clash with one of the division's "big boys" will not happen until the end of 2012.

The Cefn Fforest fighter ultimately wants to take on either Shumenov or WBC title rivals Bernard Hopkins or Chad Dawson, but first of all must focus on beating 24-year-old Fonfara, who has lost just two of 22 professional fights.

"Hopefully I'll get to the big unification fights towards the end of 2012 against the likes of Hopkins and Dawson, that's my goal - they are massive names in the division," he stated.

Veteran Hopkins has warned that he will only fight Cleverly if promoter Warren can get tempt Calzaghe out of retirement three years after he quit the ring.

Hopkins wants a rematch with Cleverly's countryman after the American great lost on a split decision to Calzaghe in their Las Vegas clash in April 2008.

"He desperately wants a rematch with Joe," admitted Cleverly.

"But I think Joe is happy with his legacy and contented in retirement. Financially Joe is sorted and he has nothing to prove in boxing so I don't think that is going to happen.

"I'd probably do the same thing if I was in Joe's shoes."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/16153407.stm

Boxrec has this guy fighting in 3 days lets hope he comes through that fight with no bad injury's.

Fonfara tested positive for Steroids in 2009 hes allowed to fight 7 months later (Boxrec)

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?cat=boxer&human_id=358969

Got to be honest a disappointing opponent and a possible mismatch here.

Fonfara tested positive for Steroids in 2009 hes allowed to fight 7 months later (Boxrec)

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?cat=boxer&human_id=358969

Got to be honest a disappointing opponent and a possible mismatch here.

I saw Fonfara back on that Adamek-McBride Card you sent me to in Newark, NJ, Bud. He's okay, but he's been fed easy and he's simply NOT World Class. He has some big backing and draws well with Polish Audiences in Chicago (and Newark the night I saw him on the Adamek Card) but his connections are better than his talent.

Against one of the top guys in the division, he's cannon fodder.

Not a great fight in my book. Not sure but looking at his record Fonfara looks something like a blown-up super-middle. Cleverly probably wants a couple of safe defences after his poor showing against Bellew but you have to wonder what he will learn from a fight like this. Hope he doesn't fall too comfortably into Calzaghe's shoes and start a string of overly comfortable home defences. That would be a great shame.

Lets be honest, on paper it looks a mismatch, but if Cleverly is struggling with the likes of Bellew, then this guy may be more than a match.

I think Clev has all the attributes, but he really needs to put his head down and work hard in the gym, because at this stage of his career, he should probably be starting to peak, but I think he has a long way to go yet.

He doesn't have enough power for my liking to really trouble some of the better fighters in the division and for all the good boxing ability in the world, if you're going 12 rounds in every fight and still getting caught flush too often, then you're not going to last too long at the top.

This was his most recent fight. He seemed genuinely annoyed at the stoppage...

Not sure but looking at his record Fonfara looks something like a blown-up super-middle.

In regards to this, I'm think your a bit out. He turned professional at Welterweight aged 18 (back in 2006) and has filled out into a genuine Light heavyweight. I think part of the reason he lost to Findley (at Middlweight) was due to draining. He hasn't completely "filled out" as such but he doesn't look like he's carrying extra weight to make 175. Oddly he is 7-0 (7) at Light Heavyweight which would suggest 1 of 2 things...the steroids he got busted with really turned him into a puncher OR he is getting his man strength.

Also don't forget though that Cleverly turned professional at Light Middleweight and in terms of raw numbers is actually SMALLER than Fonfara (1/2" in height and 3" in reach).