Team Khan/GBP Official Statement (Inc Spoilers)

The_budweiser

Team Khan/GBP Official Statement

Firstly, we would like to congratulate Lamont Peterson on his performance against Amir Khan. Not only has he shown that he is a tremendous fighter inside the ring, but also a great man out of the ring.

Following the decision in the fight, Team Khan and Golden Boy Promotions intends to make inquiries with the District of Columbia Boxing and Wrestling Commission, the IBF and the WBA regarding the performance of referee Joseph Cooper and will also be seeking clarification regarding certain ambiguities with respect to the scores of the fight.

We look forward to an immediate rematch with Lamont as confirmed by Lamont and his manager/trainer Barry Hunter.

http://ringnews24.com/index.php/blog/35-demo-content/31934-team-khangbp-official-statement.html#axzz1gE6Mw8Rj

Surely if Amir is the world-beater he'd have us believe, he wouldn't have allowed the fight to get this close anyway. He's got Floyd's number afterall, and continually beats Manny to within a punch or two of death in sparring.

If the point deductions were dodgy, so was the call on Peterson being knocked down. Both looked like slips.

Khan clearly lost a close fight. The upshot is that he just did not do enough, and spent the majority of the fight on the backfoot. His after-fight interview and this statement shows little respect to Peterson and he came across like a little spoilt brat that didn't get his way. The ref warned him for pushing-down time and time again - so why act suprised when he finally took a point (and then a second!)?

The real reason Khan lost was that due to his over-confidence he totally over-looked Peterson, plus spent the entire build-up banging on about beating Mayweather!!! What a joke.

I thought the 12th Round point deduction was awfully late in the day and the Ref should've just pocketed that one and let the guys finish. Khan did enough holding to warrant the 7th round point, he'd been warned repeatedly and didn't respond. I thought Joe Cooper a bit over-officious, but I've seen worse. A good point was made above that had Khan been "the man" at 140 and head-and-shoulders above the rest, then it would've never come down to desperation time in the final round anyway. Whether he'd have won or lost had pretty much become immaterial at that point, the "Big Story" of the fight was already written and that's that a Lamont Peterson who was barely bothersome against Tim Bradley was life-and-death for Amir Khan. Khan was taking a major career hit either way.

The fight was close and I would not have been particularly shocked to see it go either way or even a draw but when you're fighting in your opponents back yard you have to expect the decision in a close fight might go against you.

In regards to the point deductions Khan can have no complaint after persisting despite numerous warnings, I am also surprised nobody has mentioned the hit clearly after the break that Khan landed in the last round.

I wish Khan would grow up and show a little class and maybe he would have more fans but complaining about the ref and judges when there was nothing untoward in my eyes is winning him no points with me.

He is a good fighter and has shown some heart and toughness in recent fights and if he just was more likeable as a person I might be a fan but then he blames everyone but himself for losing the fight and I can't help but not like him.

The 2nd point deduction I had no problem with, because I thought the ref was taking a point away for hitting after the break. Wouldn't mind a rematch, but first Khan should give Maidana a rematch. As we have seen, if the shoe was on the other foot, Khan would want nothing to do with Peterson. So, I don't think there should be an immidate rematch for Peterson-Khan. Khan should give Maidana a rematch, and let's get another unification bout, Bradley-Peterson rematch.

The ref did a good job for me overall.

How many time after the point deduction in Round 7 did Khan continue to push? Even in round 12 after his point deduction he continued to push again and again.

I've saw a lot worse ref performances this year than this fight.

Over 50:

Referee did a fine job!