Results from Washington (SPOILERS)

iamasadlittleboy

Amir Khan upset by referee and Lamont Peterson

Despite scoring a first round knock down British star Amir Khan lost his unified titles to Washington's very own Lamont Peterson. Khan started fast, very fast and raced out to a 3 point lead over the first 2 rounds and it looked like he was going to race to a stoppage, though from the 3rd round Peterson battled back and repeatedly caught Khan against the ropes. Through many of the middle rounds Khan appeared to run more than box and Peterson was a clear aggressor as he caught up the points from the knock down. Khan had some success and staggered Patterson just before the championship rounds though had had a point deducted and going into the 10th round it was anyone's. After a close 11th round it all lay in the balance for the final round and then...Khan had another point deducted that effective cost him a draw on 2 card as he lost a close split decision.

Seth Mitchell wrecks Mayhem on tough Timur

America finally has a heavyweight worth talking about as Seth Mitchell stops Timur Ibragimov in 2 rounds. After an engaging first round in which both guys landed decent shots, Mitchell decided enough was enough and went on a seek and destroy mission against Ibragimov, staggering him a number of times in a one sided round that eventually saw the referee wave an end to the contest.

Anthony Peterson returns with a vengeance

Anthony Peterson returned after 15 months out of the ring and put on a shut out over the over matched Daniel Attah. Whilst Peterson may be disappointed that he didn't force a stoppage he was dominant through out and rarely seemed to get into his top gear. For Peterson this is his first victory since his DQ loss to Brandon Rios in 2010.

Fernando Guerrero eases back into the sport

Fernando Guerrero was shocked just 6 months ago as Grady Brewer stunned him in a 6th round stoppage loss for Guerrero. In Washington this evening he bounced back and defeated the journeyman Robert Kliewer in 5 rounds.

Other results:

Jamie Kavanagh suffered an unexpected draw with Ramesis Gil

Dusty Harrison and Terron Grant both scored opening round stoppages whilst Joshua Davis had to settle with a 4 round decison

How did everyone see the Khan/Peterson fight?

I had Khan up by 2 with the points deductions, which I thought were ridiculous (every single fighter in history pushes, its part of Floyd Mayweathers offense!).

I thought the ref had a bit of a shocker for both guys to be honest.

Peterson was KD twice in the first round. He didnt give it because he was stood behind him. If the ref was in a better position he would have seen the left hand.

It wasnt a hometown decision, as Khan said, but the ref was the deciding factor in the fight.

I had Peterson winning, scores were fair, it was close. Point deductions was fair, he pushed Lamont over 5 times. Lamont was rough but didnt deserve any deductions imo.

Seth Mitchell, Great win. Klitschko should call off the Mormeck fight its a farce, Mormeck went life and death with Ibraghimov.

Re: Results from Washington (SPOILERS)

Amir Khan upset by referee and Lamont Peterson

Despite scoring a first round knock down British star Amir Khan lost his unified titles to Washington's very own Lamont Peterson. Khan started fast, very fast and raced out to a 3 point lead over the first 2 rounds and it looked like he was going to race to a stoppage, though from the 3rd round Peterson battled back and repeatedly caught Khan against the ropes. Through many of the middle rounds Khan appeared to run more than box and Peterson was a clear aggressor as he caught up the points from the knock down. Khan had some success and staggered Patterson just before the championship rounds though had had a point deducted and going into the 10th round it was anyone's. After a close 11th round it all lay in the balance for the final round and then...Khan had another point deducted that effective cost him a draw on 2 card as he lost a close split decision.

Seth Mitchell wrecks Mayhem on tough Timur

America finally has a heavyweight worth talking about as Seth Mitchell stops Timur Ibragimov in 2 rounds. After an engaging first round in which both guys landed decent shots, Mitchell decided enough was enough and went on a seek and destroy mission against Ibragimov, staggering him a number of times in a one sided round that eventually saw the referee wave an end to the contest.

Anthony Peterson returns with a vengeance

Anthony Peterson returned after 15 months out of the ring and put on a shut out over the over matched Daniel Attah. Whilst Peterson may be disappointed that he didn't force a stoppage he was dominant through out and rarely seemed to get into his top gear. For Peterson this is his first victory since his DQ loss to Brandon Rios in 2010.

Fernando Guerrero eases back into the sport

Fernando Guerrero was shocked just 6 months ago as Grady Brewer stunned him in a 6th round stoppage loss for Guerrero. In Washington this evening he bounced back and defeated the journeyman Robert Kliewer in 5 rounds.

Other results:

Jamie Kavanagh suffered an unexpected draw with Ramesis Gil

Dusty Harrison and Terron Grant both scored opening round stoppages whilst Joshua Davis had to settle with a 4 round decison

Thanks Iam

Peterson was KD twice in the first round. He didnt give it because he was stood behind him. If the ref was in a better position he would have seen the left hand.

It wasnt a hometown decision, as Khan said, but the ref was the deciding factor in the fight.

I thought the ref was excellent, myself - happy to tell them to break it up rather than instantly wade in, Cortez-style. The first knockdown was just Khan knocking Peterson off balance with his elbow, as shown on replays, and frankly Khan should have been deducted more points than he was for shoving Peterson halfway across the ring - even if the other guy is bending at the waist to come forward, you can always move out of the way or start slinging in uppercuts or even wrestling with him. Khan was clueless and preferred to show off about not being hurt.

The ref warned him half a dozen times to stop shoving and he didn't, and then really took the piss by seeing the referee comoing and landing an uppercut after the break.

He'll probably win a rematch if they take one, but masybe he'll foinally learn a bit of humility, instead of telling everyone the light welters and Floyd are all scared of him, he has Floyd's number etc.

Last night I noticed a lot of flaws in Khan that hadn;t been apparent to me previously - he doesn't have brilliant footwork and seems to be unable to land accurately on the move - he kept having to stop to have a good look at his work to land accurately.

He also is far too wild and wastes way too many punches wailing away at his opponent. If he could conserve his energy, his blistering speed may carry all the way through the fight.

Slagging off Washington DC may have done him no favours as well.

1. K 10 P 8

I think the first KO was fairly ruled a slip as his back leg tangled with the ref.

2. K 10 P 9

3. K 9 P 10

4. K 9 P 10

5. K 10 P 9

6.K 10 P 9

Khan has had a fair few warnings in rounds 1-6 for holding Petersons head down, Pushing and not letting go when ref said break, he also got away with a fly slap to Petersons head in round 5 when the ref was breaking them up that the ref missed not to mention his low shots hes been warned for. Petersons had a few warnings for not letting go when told and having his head low. Refs doing ok for me rounds 1-6.

7.K 8 P 10

Taking a point away from Khan was harsh, the warnings about the pushing seemed gentle in rounds 1-6 he should of said one more and i'm taking a point off or said them a bit more aggressive through out the fight to Khan, but Khan did push a lot in the rounds.

8.K 9 P 10

9.K 10 P 10

10.K 9 P 10

11.K 10 P 9

12.K 9 P9

Even after the point deduction in round 7 for pushing Khan continued to push in the rest of the fight, didn't he learn his lesson ?

I think both should of been warned for pushing each other away in the face with there forearms and the ref should of warned Peterson for the low blows in rounds 7-12 but neither were point deductions.

Even after the point deduction in Round 12 Khan pushed again and again, whats he doing?

I think the point deduction in round 12 was harsh again but throughout the fight maybe 1 point deduction was fair but not 2 especially the one in round 12.

Khan 113 Peterson 113

Khan should of concentrated more on the fight, how many times did he look and talk to the ref? Khans inside fighting was poor.

The commentators on HBO seemed to think this was a great fight, I thought it boring and poor quality, what did you think of the fight?

Boxrec -

judge: Nelson Vazquez 115-110 | judge: George Hill 112-113 | judge: Valerie Dorsett 112-113

Peterson down once in rd 1; Khan deducted 1 point for pushing in rd 7, & 1 point for hitting on break rd 11 (was round 12)

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=314558&cat=boxer

113-112 Peterson, 114-111 Khan, 113-112 Peterson

Before the fight, Khan said "I need to work harder in this fight because it's in his backyatd so if it's a close fight they usually give it to the home fighter..in many ways it'll be a better win beating him in his own backyard than beating him anywhere else"

Then afterwards he says "This is why there's been no boxing in Dc for 20 years, because they just rob you, it was a hometown decision"

And in what sense was DC Peterson;s back yard? He may have grown up there biut he lives in Tennessee, for fucksake.

Also, there's this idiotic trend for British fighters abroad to complain of a hometown decision and then suggest they should fight in their own hometown next time - Froch did it for Kessler, Hatton's suggested it to Khan. Are hometown decsiions fair when they're on your side?

Ref wasn't a homer, just poor. First round knockdown was highly dubious. Looked to me as though Peterson got his feet tangled and was pushed over. With regards to the deductions, look, how many warnings was Khan given? Rightly or wrongly, the ref was on Khan's case about the pushing and if he wasn't such a knucklehead, he would have wised up and stopped pushing. Pushing aside, Khan was spoiling for the majority of the fight, most notably how he contstantly pushed Peterson's head down and the American was told to keep his head up by the referee. Hard to keep your head up when you someone keeps pushing it down.

I had Khan a point up at the end, but no complaints about the decision. Fantastic fight and I expect to see a rematch in Vegas sometime in early Spring, which Khan should win.

Final Punch stats:

Total Punches:

Khan: 235/757 (31%)

Peterson: 224/539 (39%)

Power Punches:

Khan: 169/466

Peterson: 188/406

Not much of a difference in lands, other than Khan throwing more and Peterson having better accuracy.

I had the fight a draw, with the point deductions. The first one was fair, the second one was too far imo, but then both times Peterson was down in the first round, there wasn't a clean knockdown - the first one he tripped over the refs leg and it rightfully wasnt given, but the second one seemed to me a push.

It's swings and roundabouts with the deductions and the knockdown imo, and while a draw may have been a fair result, there can be no complaints that Peterson took the decision....

Just shows the Khan is not as good as he thinks he is, and needs to stop worrying about the "big ones" and concentrate on the opponent at hand.

He didn't have any answer when Peterson was backing him up, which is why he resorted to pushing. He doesn't have much of an inside game and needs to work on that in training and Khan is only really at his best when he can box off the back foot and use his movement to get in and thrown some punches and then get out of range.

Peterson is faster than I thought and he was able to catch Khan coming in, and also threw some nice quick combinations himself.

I don't think it was a FOTY candidate personally, but a rematch is probably the logical choice.

Khan will need to be immensely better to avoid being left on the boxing scrapheap, which is where a second successive loss would leave him.

I have to give all the credit to Peterson, he seems like a nice fella and he deserved the win. It was the type of fight where the winner could have been either guy. Khan didn't do himself any favours in the post fight interview but saying that, a lot of boxers say some silly things. I heard they are appealing about the ref but I think it's just a way to enforce the rematch even more. Kinda pointless considering Peterson already said that he'd give them it. If it's in Vegas then I'll go for sure!

I have to give all the credit to Peterson, he seems like a nice fella and he deserved the win. It was the type of fight where the winner could have been either guy. Khan didn't do himself any favours in the post fight interview but saying that, a lot of boxers say some silly things. I heard they are appealing about the ref but I think it's just a way to enforce the rematch even more. Kinda pointless considering Peterson already said that he'd give them it. If it's in Vegas then I'll go for sure!

True, but a lot of fighters say things in post fight interviews, and then quickly back-peddle when the heat has died down.

I don't know if Peterson will take the immediate rematch to be honest...I suspect him to cash in on a relatively straightforward defence first.

He has to face Maidana pretty soon either way as well...

True, but a lot of fighters say things in post fight interviews, and then quickly back-peddle when the heat has died down.

I don't know if Peterson will take the immediate rematch to be honest...I suspect him to cash in on a relatively straightforward defence first.

He has to face Maidana pretty soon either way as well...

What do you make of a Maidana fight? I think Peterson could handle him as well. Maidana isn't especially fast and Peterson's been knocked down mostly by fast fighters.