Enzo is set to return to the ring

The_budweiser

ENZO MACCARINELLI has confirmed he intends to box on.

The Welshman, 29, had promised to hang up his gloves if he lost to Denis Lebedev in July.

Lebedev defeated him inside three rounds but Maccarinelli is determined to rebuild his shattered career.

The former WBO cruiserweight champ said: "My wife didn't want me to carry on after my last fight. She said I should call it a day.

"But, after I told her why I wanted to carry on and explained to Frank Warren how I would climb my way up, they both understood.

"I told Frank that I am too good to be losing to guys like Lebedev and in the way I did.

"There are plenty of people out there that have bad-mouthed me since the Lebedev fight.

"They will be thinking that I am done in boxing but this is my big chance to prove them all wrong.

"I'm going to go out there and prove that Enzo Maccarinelli is a top cruiserweight."

Maccarinelli is expected to return to the ring before the end of the year.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/boxing/2681934/Enzo-Maccarinelli-is-ready-to-return-to-the-ring.html

If the lad is honest with himself & feels he has it in him to comeback I think he should give it one more go but if in his next fight he loses then it has to be all over.He feels that he should not lose to fighters of Lebedev's calibur then ok get back in with him

I'll be intreseted to read Robs views on this, he being from that side of the world.

Personaly i can only see Enzo having a career on the doors in a bar. Im not having a go at the guy on a personal level as to be fair every interview ive heard he seems a nice enough guy. I just dont see him doing much in the ring

I like Enzo alot - nice guy and very good boxer.

I was actually a traitor that went to the 02 arena and cheered on David Haye - I was a fan of Haye 1st and also had a big bet on the outcome (part of an accumulator which PacMan won)

Tbh, its hard to understand how the same fighter has plummeted since, I have good inside info on him and I sort of knew that he wasn't in the best of shape for Ola Afolabi. But then he lost to Lebedev with a new camp.

He shouldn't be losing to either but how do you change him back to the man who beat Braithwaite?

• 4 weeks later...
I've always rated Maccarinelli, but not many people would have stayed on their feet after the bomb David Haye landed. I was sorry to see him lose again and hoped he'd retire. I do think he has it in him to beat most fighters put in front of him, but he needs his self belief back. If he comes back and loses by KO, he should retire.

I think its fair to say Enzo WAS a great boxer, but as others have said..after his lose to Haye he never recovered. Unless he fights a dummy i cant help but thinking it will be another L on his carrer..i understand he wants to come back to prove himself but i think thats too late. (and imagine he actually asked Dana White and the UFC for a contract lol).

I've never rated Enzo, I thought he was a decent fighter but was so well protected over the years by the WBO and Frank Warren (or Frank Warren's WBO more like), he made good money fighting in Joe Calzaghe's slipstream on massive sell outs and big shows but basically against club fighters. You feast on low level opposition for as long as he did and you get stale, as soon as he stepped up a level he got KO'd. Once that had happened he was exposed and has continued to be.

I think he's a nice guy and must have made a few quid already, if he really believes he's still got something to offer then at 29 he should definitely give it another go, but IMO he'll be at British level.