Jump to content

Usyk vs Dubois


Bear Hugger
 Share

Recommended Posts

Low blow for me. Bottom edge of the waistband = low. Square on the line is not below so fine. We all know the low blow rule; the fighter has up to 5 minutes to recover. We never see a fighter take much more than 30-60 seconds. Some buzz that Usyk milked it but 5 minutes is the rule; he was entitled.

Dubois's punch resistance one of the lowest in the division. Quit vs Joyce when had he sucked it up, he'd have won. 3x down vs Lerena who should have finished him off. Now this. Lerena and Usyk both blown up cruisers who don't hit particularly hard.

Not a performance that engenders much hope for Usyk vs Fury but it's the fight that's got to happen. Between the two of them, they've beaten every one else of note in the division.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That punch might technically have been just a hair low, but not low enough to cause the pain Usyk showed.

Puhleez. That's why boxers wear cups.  I never realized until now what a pussy Usyk is.

-------------

 

- And why is no one talking about the bullshit stoppage? That's a classic move from Pabon, the most corrupt referee in all of boxing.

I'm not a Dubuois fan, but he fought surprisingly well against Usyk (or maybe Usyk was a little off) and who knows what might have happened if he turned it up in the last 2 rounds.   That stoppage was enough BS to fertilize an entire Iowa cornfield.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

--- Classic example of why Boxing is in the dumps when folks can't understand a simple event resulting in near every big fight being a controversy

Seen several replays, most of which are useless because the impact is hidden, but it was an uppercut tweener that caught the legal lower part of the beltling, but most tellingly, "pay attention," the knuckles catching underneath the beltline that would not only be the main illegal impact area, but may have lifted the protector up as well.

Pabon not having instant replay makes a safe decision in ruling the punch was not intended to be a foul, so no deduction is my understanding, but gives Usyk time to recover. I did not see the fight and only comment on what I did see.

Duboi won a single round on two judges' card, and two rounds on the other, and that's it, as near a shutout as can be had.

https://boxrec.com/wiki/index.php/Oleksandr_Usyk_vs._Daniel_Dubois

Boxrec fans score it even wider, a complete shutout.

Oleksandr Usyk
W-KO
Daniel Dubois
Judges 78-73 | 79-72 | 79-72   Fans 80-71
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought the punch was ok. It certainly took the wind out of Usyk's sails. He wasn't getting up if a count had been administered.

The debate is raging all over the net - many knowledgeable posters on either side of that debate.

The fight was a pretty decent spectacle though the rain soaked ring didn't help. It was a tame ending from Dubois, he seems to lack the steadfast resolve to overcome the rough patches.

There can be no doubting the low blows in the Ajagba vs. Zhan Kossobutskiy fight, later that night. Boxing has found a new Andrew Golota.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, WelshDevilRob said:

WBA have just announced that they're scrapping having more than one champion at Heavyweight. Which is a long time coming.

 

 

Wow !

 

I think I'd better start keeping a close watch on my butt from now on,  because bats could start flying out of it any day now....

I don't care if pigs start flying.  As long as they don't poop on my truck.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just dont see it as a low blow, bang on the line for me, anything below the belly button, but his was covered with the groin guard and his shorts were slightly high; a poor decision!

Edited by mofo2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/28/2023 at 9:07 PM, WelshDevilRob said:

WBA have just announced that they're scrapping having more than one champion at Heavyweight. Which is a long time coming.

Mahmoud Charr has returned to his previous secondary title status.

A legal settlement between parties has forced the WBA to abandon its own title reduction campaign and reinstate Charr as its ‘Regular’ heavyweight titlist. The ruling was made less than a week after the sanctioning body eliminated the title following Daniel Dubois’ ninth-round knockout loss to unified WBA ‘Super’/IBF/WBO titlist Oleksandr Usyk (22-0, 14KOs) on August 26 in Wroclaw, Poland.

source: https://www.boxingscene.com/mahmoud-charr-reinstated-wba-regular-heavyweight-titlist-ordered-next-face-jarrell-miller--177390

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2023 at 4:46 PM, mofo2 said:

I just dont see it as a low blow, bang on the line for me, anything below the belly button, but his was covered with the groin guard and his shorts were slightly high; a poor decision!

 

Exactly my view of it.  Technically it could be called low, if you follow the WBC rules that state below the naval (but the unified rules say it's below the waistline)  and it does hurt when your cup gets driven into your torso, but there's no way it cause the kind of pain Usyk was pretending to be in.  -  And yes I've been hit there plenty of times.

 

And not for nothing, but Usyk pulled the exact same stunt in the second AJ fight. I mean EXACTLY the same.  

We all gave Usyk the benefit of the doubt then,  but now I'm thinking that maybe AJ deserved to win that fight after all.

And mind you, I've been a huge Usyk fan from when he stated rising through the CW division.  But what's right is right.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2023 at 7:19 PM, Bear Hugger said:

Mahmoud Charr has returned to his previous secondary title status.

A legal settlement between parties has forced the WBA to abandon its own title reduction campaign and reinstate Charr as its ‘Regular’ heavyweight titlist. The ruling was made less than a week after the sanctioning body eliminated the title following Daniel Dubois’ ninth-round knockout loss to unified WBA ‘Super’/IBF/WBO titlist Oleksandr Usyk (22-0, 14KOs) on August 26 in Wroclaw, Poland.

source: https://www.boxingscene.com/mahmoud-charr-reinstated-wba-regular-heavyweight-titlist-ordered-next-face-jarrell-miller--177390

Yeah, I seen that. Boxing never ceases to amaze. Charr vs Miller for a 'World title'. They better have VADA testing for this one.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

WBA says no evidence referee made wrong call on low blow in Oleksandr Usyk's win over Daniel Dubois

By Mike Coppinger, ESPN

The WBA said Thursday that it found no evidence that the referee erred when he ruled a fifth-round punch a low blow during heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk's ninth-round KO victory over Daniel Dubois in August in Wroclaw, Poland.

The organization denied Dubois' appeal to overturn the result after its ringside supervisor determined that referee Luis Pabon "made the correct decision regarding the punch which he considered an accidental low blow."

Usyk dropped to the canvas writhing in pain after England's Dubois connected with a right hand that appeared to land below the belt. Dubois contended afterward on X, formerly known as Twitter, that it was a legal punch, and that he was robbed of the victory.

Ukraine's Usyk was given ample time to recover -- the maximum allowed is five minutes -- and went on to rout Dubois in dominant fashion. The champion floored Dubois in the eighth round and then finished him with a jab the following round.

Dubois was the WBA's mandatory challenger. He was also challenging for Usyk's WBO and IBF titles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2023 at 2:44 PM, Cableaddict said:

 

Exactly my view of it.  Technically it could be called low, if you follow the WBC rules that state below the naval (but the unified rules say it's below the waistline)  and it does hurt when your cup gets driven into your torso, but there's no way it cause the kind of pain Usyk was pretending to be in.  -  And yes I've been hit there plenty of times.

 

And not for nothing, but Usyk pulled the exact same stunt in the second AJ fight. I mean EXACTLY the same.  

We all gave Usyk the benefit of the doubt then,  but now I'm thinking that maybe AJ deserved to win that fight after all.

And mind you, I've been a huge Usyk fan from when he stated rising through the CW division.  But what's right is right.

 

 

   --- Had AJ winning the last round, and thus the fight by a point, so you never heard me screaming AJ was robbed in such a close fight, as high a level heavyweight boxing match as you'll ever see.

Lucky to have witnessed it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I gotta say the so called low blow was a 'crock o &%!+', ive seen it so many times now and every time I think it looks bang on the belt line and that is slightly high, Usyk was a very lucky man, Fury absolutely murders him when they eventually meet.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, mofo2 said:

I gotta say the so called low blow was a 'crock o &%!+', ive seen it so many times now and every time I think it looks bang on the belt line and that is slightly high, Usyk was a very lucky man, Fury absolutely murders him when they eventually meet.

 

 

--- Flubber been much better at ducking Wlad rematch, Josh, and Usyk, at least a half dozen ducks of career purses for him.. 

Only thing he murders is a reputation as a MTK murdering mudder ducker...yeah

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LondonRingRules said:

 

 

--- Flubber been much better at ducking Wlad rematch, Josh, and Usyk, at least a half dozen ducks of career purses for him.. 

Only thing he murders is a reputation as a MTK murdering mudder ducker...yeah

That might be true, but he levels any of them, they arent in the same league!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...