Jump to content

New Zealand boxer suffers stroke after world title defeat


Ledhed1
 Share

Recommended Posts

Agence France-Presse

New Zealand boxer David Light suffered a mild stroke and underwent surgery for a blood clot following his world title defeat to Lawrence Okolie, his coach said on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old Light lost on a unanimous decision to Britain's Okolie for the World Boxing Organization cruiserweight belt in Manchester in late March.

The New Zealander reported no ill effects when he flew home but felt unwell in the days after his return, his coach Isaac Peach told reporters.

Light, a 2014 Commonwealth Games silver medallist, was admitted on April 17 to a hospital in Auckland where surgeons removed a blood clot.

He is recovering in hospital but Peach would not be drawn on whether Light will fight again.

"That's for David to answer, not me," said Peach.

In a statement put out by his promoter, Light said his focus was now on recovery.

"This is like another fight camp for me, I've got to train hard, rehab and work on getting better," said Light.

Defeat to holder Okolie for the world title was the first loss of Light's career.

Peach said it had been "devastating" to see his fighter fall ill.

"It's horrible. It's really hard for all of us to see him like that," Peach said.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, BoztheMadman said:

He had no place being there. I am so SICK of these BS mandatories! 🤬 Now you cover his medical expenses, Shalom!

Harsh that, every fighter is looking for their break out fight, he got his shot and he didnt disgrace himself, this could have happened in any of his fights!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mofo2 said:

Harsh that, every fighter is looking for their break out fight, he got his shot and he didnt disgrace himself, this could have happened in any of his fights!

Yea but we also got a CRAP fight in addition. Fucking Okolie is to blame for that too. But-against a better opponent, maybe it wouldn't have been so crap. Light was just content to survive and go the distance-booo!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Light earned his shot by beating then-unbeaten 'BulletProof' Brandon Glanton in a WBO eliminator. Light won in his opponents backyard.

People are forgeting that David Light was the National champion of New Zealand. It's not like he was some random boxer with a ton of defeats, he was unbeaten when he faced Okolie.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, WelshDevilRob said:

Light earned his shot by beating then-unbeaten 'BulletProof' Brandon Glanton in a WBO eliminator. Light won in his opponents backyard.

People are forgeting that David Light was the National champion of New Zealand. It's not like he was some random boxer with a ton of defeats, he was unbeaten when he faced Okolie.

New Zealand? Pls...how many WORLD CLASS boxers does NZ have? It's a weak boxing nation, all they ever had of world class are Samoans-Tua and Parker.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2023 at 1:47 PM, BoztheMadman said:

Yea but we also got a CRAP fight in addition. Fucking Okolie is to blame for that too. But-against a better opponent, maybe it wouldn't have been so crap. Light was just content to survive and go the distance-booo!

It was a one sided fight, thats not unusual in boxing, but he was tough and game; he deserved to be in there!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...