Haney vs Lomachenko now Official

WelshDevilRob

Devin Haney (29-0, 15 KOs) vs Vasyl Lomachenko (17-2, 11 KOs)

Top Rank have announced that the bout for the Undisputed World lightweight titles is on Saturday, May 20th, 2023.
It will be on PPV on ESPN and the venue is the MGM Grand, Las Vegas.

Neat promo video put out by Top Rank.

Edited by WelshDevilRob
  • Thanks 1

- - Haney bigger and stronger but less talented is going to hide behind his substantial size and jab all night.

Vasyl got in quality rust dusting rounds against the Boxrec #10, Jermaine Ortiz, so he should be ready for the difficulty of Haney who has been outboxed for stretches before, just never defeated.

Interesting fight for stylistic connoisseurs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Who you picking guys?

A lot seem to be with Haney.

But, I'm going for Loma. Shook the rust off in his last fight. Haney had sticky moments against ancient Linares and Diaz. Loma isn't Kambosos. But Loma, needs to start quicker and get that old arse into gear.

• Thanks 1

Age, mileage and reach significantly in Haney's favor. I'm of the mind Loma's on the back nine; don't see him improving fight-to-fight at this stage. Haney's still relatively young but has come into his own and is well into his prime. Loma's better chance would have been to give Haney a shot when he first had the chance but he viewed Haney as a nobody then. Due to that Haney's got a chip on this shoulder as well. Haney retains the title.

So what would be next? Haney to 140? Or does TopRank risk Shakur's '0' for the first time? Lightweight's a deep division. Unfortunately the TopRank-PBC (Tank, Frank Martin, Isaac Cruz) divide is unlikely to be crossed.

--- All I know is that in spite of Haney being something of a Runner/Stinker in the ring, I think Lomachenko in his last years has enough left to force a fight out of him because this is a grudge match.

Hope for the best and let The Fickle Fates decide the rest...but...I'm in the foxhole with Loma...Amen...

• Thanks 1

Apparently, Haney signed a new deal with Bob Arum two days before this fight. Make of that what you will.

I stayed up and watched the fight. Can't say I was entertained, it was like two matadors. Maybe, I was just tired as others are raving about it. A lot up in arms over the verdict but it seemed close to me. Morreti's card seemed way off.

The KO on the undercard by Junto Nakatani over Andrew Moloney must be the KO of the year. Brutal and a lot of criticism of the Aussies corner.

Jeff Fenech calls out Andrew Moloney’s corner for not stopping the fight
by Anthony Cocks
https://www.ringnews24.com/2023/05/22/jeff-fenech-calls-out-andrew-moloneys-corner-for-not-stopping-the-fight/

• Thanks 1