Adamek “It was over in the second round”

Wheelchair

“Last Saturday in Wroclaw, Vitali was untouchable for anyone. That night, after Vitali’s second round rocket punch, it was basically over,” said heavyweight title challenger Tomasz Adamek (44-2, 28 KOs) in his first interview after losing by TKO in the tenth round against WBC titleholder Vitali Klitschko (43-2, 40 KO) before 43,000 fight fans in Wroclaw, Poland.

You were on the verge of tears during the post fight press conference, but 43,000 people were cheering “Dziekujemy, dziekujemy!” (We thank you!) in Wroclaw.

Of course, I did hear them. They wanted me to feel better and I’m very thankful to all of them. But it was and still is a tough time.

You acknowledged during the press conference that Vitali Klitschko was a dominant man from the beginning of the fight. What was the biggest problem for you – his reach, strength, how big he is?

All of the above. He controlled the fight, didn’t give me any chances to turn this into my fight, not his. It was nothing in particular, just the whole Vitali package.

How tough was it for you just to take the referee’s decision [to stop the fight] and walk to your corner? Your manager said that earlier you asked your trainer Roger Bloodworth to give you more rounds. You didn’t want to disappoint your fans.

My Mom said that for highlanders like me, the fight is over when one man is on the floor, but it was a referee’s decision I had to accept. I could still be there for some rounds, but I will not say that I would be able to win. I landed a nice punch fighting for survival in the seventh round, but I knew it is over for me.

Biggest moment in this fight? Second round?

Without a doubt. I got hit with a right around my ear, it was feeling like somebody connected me to 1000 volts. Vitali disconnected me from all my strength. A couple of minutes later me and my trainer Roger Bloodworth both knew that I was a different fighter, not fighting my usual style. Just one huge punch turned all the plans and tactics upside down.

Vitali suggested after the fight that you are a world class fighter, but maybe should go back to the cruiserweight division where you were undefeated champion of the world.

It will not happen. I will not starve myself and lose 20 pounds. I’m a different fighter now. Just one of the reasons why. And one more reason – what else I would have to prove there?

Roger Bloodworth said that this referee stoppage, the first in your career, will not change who you are. If so, will make you even more determined?

I know this is the case. My championship fights are not over. I have a couple of great ones in front of me. I can promise all my fans that I will never forget the moment when the referee send me to my corner.

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/tomasz-adamek-speaks-95396

I don't see why he shouldn't have one last run for heavyweight glory, unless the wars he's been involved in catch up with him - and Adamek has been in some absolute corkers (two with Briggs, a humdinger against Cunningham and a thoroughly entertaining bout with Arreola).

He'll still be a fair old draw in NJ or Poland so this IMO should be where he rebuilds, gets a few wins and has one last crack for the marbles or the retirement fund.

If he does decide to call it a day though, I doubt anyone would blame him.

I don't see why he shouldn't have one last run for heavyweight glory, unless the wars he's been involved in catch up with him - and Adamek has been in some absolute corkers (two with Briggs, a humdinger against Cunningham and a thoroughly entertaining bout with Arreola).

He'll still be a fair old draw in NJ or Poland so this IMO should be where he rebuilds, gets a few wins and has one last crack for the marbles or the retirement fund.

If he does decide to call it a day though, I doubt anyone would blame him.

now you mention the poland aspect, maybe he can stick around long enough to have a huge domestic showdown with mariusz wach. if anyone in poland likes wach, the country might come to a halt for it!

It's nie to hear any fighter come away from a fight where they've been dominated and have nothing more to say than "Wow, that guy is really good" - it's more or less what Clinton Woods said after Roy Jones and it's what Jennings said after Cotto "From outside the ring you think you can see what he's about but you don't realise how accurate he is with his punches"

It's nie to hear any fighter come away from a fight where they've been dominated and have nothing more to say than "Wow, that guy is really good" - it's more or less what Clinton Woods said after Roy Jones and it's what Jennings said after Cotto "From outside the ring you think you can see what he's about but you don't realise how accurate he is with his punches"

Yup, unlike the faux-rationalising, pseudo-controversy and pathetic excuses we've come to hear on occasion.

Mikkel Kessler won a lot of fans after the Calzaghe defeat as he really handled himself with grace. Adamek's got nothing whatsoever to be ashamed of. He gave it all he had, was expected to fall some way short and this was proven to be the case.

Adamek gained a lot of fans after his performance. He didn't go down without a fight and even though it seemed over after 2 or 3 rounds, he kept fighting until round 10. He didn't make any excuses afterwards and said the better man won. He'll be remembered fondly when he retires.