Herol Graham v Nigel Benn

Dallen

Benn in a similar fashion to Julian Jackson, who was far from " lucky " He just knew that Herol couldn't hurt him, and so would Nigel. Makes it easier to get close to the other guy and land your own shots.

It might have been harder if Graham had been a mover, but he tended to stay in and sway, and dip to avoid shots.

I think Benn wins this comfortably by KO. I really liked Herol but Benn had huge KO power and Graham didn't have a great chin.

I don't think Graham had that bad a chin, he was ko'd by Jackson with a punch that would have knocked out about 98% of fighters at that weight and his other 2 TKO loses were well past his prime. On topic i'd go for Graham UD, but Benn obviously with the "punchers chance"

Smoking,i mentioned the Watson fight as Benn was beaten by a better boxer on the night,and i would think you would agree Herol was more elusive and would have frustrated Benn non stop.A fight i attended was when Herol fought Pazienza,style wise Pazienza was a come forward fighter like Benn perhaps not as good a knockout puncher as Benn.But Herol made him look a very ordinary fighter that night and it was at the end of Herols career when he was beginning to fade.And a Herol at his best was also a very good boxer plus one of the most frustrating guys to fight with his style.

I would go for Herol Graham in a very exciting fight,and in my opinion Herol would stop Benn late in the fight.As said above by Shiels the same as the Watson fight,and Herol was a superior fighter than Watson.

I'd say that was highly questionable.

Is it? Look at their Mike McCallum fights, Watson was completley destroyed and outboxed by McCallum whereas Graham lost by the narrowest split decision and actually would have drawed had he not had a point deducted.

Yes look at their respective fights with McCallum, indeed. Graham was fighting for a vacant title, and fought to survive. That just about sums him up.

So your saying because it was a vacant title that makes Graham a lesser fighter than Watson?

I'm saying he had a chance to win a vacant title, the same chance as McCallum, but chose to fight to survive as opposed to fighting to win.

It can't be that hard to understand can it?

Smoking,i mentioned the Watson fight as Benn was beaten by a better boxer on the night,and i would think you would agree Herol was more elusive and would have frustrated Benn non stop.A fight i attended was when Herol fought Pazienza,style wise Pazienza was a come forward fighter like Benn perhaps not as good a knockout puncher as Benn.But Herol made him look a very ordinary fighter that night and it was at the end of Herols career when he was beginning to fade.And a Herol at his best was also a very good boxer plus one of the most frustrating guys to fight with his style.

''PERHAPS not as a good a knockout puncher as benn'' you say , benn was on another planet compared to paz on the power stakes.i am not of the opinion that benn is a hot favourite to win against graham but for me benn would catch graham and stop him . I was at the graham against mccallum and felt that graham just did not do enough to win . I was also lucky enough to be at the mccallum/watson fight and mccallum really put on a performance of such class that it was like a man against a boy

Smoking i was at both fights myself,but McCallum was a great Champion and it was no disgrace on Watson or Graham losing on a split decision to him.And Pazienza scored 30 stoppages in just on 50 fight career,so the guy could bang a bit.But as its a fantasy fight and we will never no the answer,lets just agree to disagree.

Smoking i was at both fights myself,but McCallum was a great Champion and it was no disgrace on Watson or Graham losing on a split decision to him.And Pazienza scored 30 stoppages in just on 50 fight career,so the guy could bang a bit.But as its a fantasy fight and we will never no the answer,lets just agree to disagree.

you are no fun

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Re: Herol Graham v Nigel Benn

Benn struggled against the best British boxers, Watson, Eubank, and the similar powered Steve Collins, and had a very weak chin. I pick Graham, but would root for the much more exciting Benn

Edited by chaconfan