Joyce vs Zhang - Who U Got?

WelshDevilRob

England's Joe Joyce, 37, takes on China's Zhilei Zhang, 39, at the Copper Box Arena, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London, UK. The fight is promoted by Frank Warren and takes place on 15th April, 2023. Will be live on BT Sport (probably ESPN in USA).
Joyce is 15-0, 14 KOs and has beaten Daniel Dubois, Carlos Takam and Joseph Parker.
Zhang is 24-1-1, 19 Kos and has beaten no one of note. But, in his last fight he lost a disputed decision to noted puncher Filip Hrgovic.
Both men are 6'6 and seem very durable. Cracking match-up.

JoycevsZhangRingnews24.jpg

• Thanks 1

Zhang could be a tricky one for Joyce. Southpaw who can move. I can see Joyce having problems figuring him out. But Joyce is a tank; Zhang doesn't have the impact punches to force Joyce onto the back foot or even stop him in his tracks. Unless Zhang can totally avoid a Joyce bomb and put on a boxing clinic, Joyce manages to get past this one with the potential to be made to look awkward ala Hrgovic.

• Thanks 1

--- Most dangerous fight to date for Joyce because Zhang is at his peak power after having learned how to box and control emotions and the ring.

That said, Hrg gave him all he could handle, and Joyce would walk down Hrg. If I'm his trainer, I start cautious with the jab for the first round as Joyce with the best jab in boxing, a beat'em up, knock'em out kinda jab. Hope Zhang makes some $$$.

Anyone know if he's a US citizen yet?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating fight. I don't think Zhang will be able to cope with the pressure that Joyce brings. Joyce is cumbersome, slow and easy to hit but he keeps coming. Zhang likes a rest but won't get one. He is big and I wouldn't rule out him catching Joyce.

I'm not sure how this ends though should do some rounds, neither man seems a concussive puncher.

Luis Ortiz was once the dangerman of the division, that honour is now held by Joe.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 1:05 PM, WelshDevilRob said:

Zhang likes a rest but won't get one. He is big and I wouldn't rule out him catching Joyce.

Yeah,  Zhang probably should try to let his hands go more,  just to look good for the judges & commentators.  Otherwise he'll keep getting robbed.

Heck,  that will likely happen anyway, but throwing a lot of non-landed punches always seems to help when the "designated winner" is losing.

A sad state of affairs, but that's how boxin' usually works.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, LondonRingRules said:

- - Joyce the only guy to BTFO Mighty Joe Parker and stop him.

I don't discount Zhang underrated power, but Joyce on another level.

True but I think Parker's got soft with his LA lifestyle. Think Joshua knocked out Joyce in a round in the amateurs.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LondonRingRules said:

- - Don't much keep up with fighter personal lives, but thought Parker moved to UK to be part of the Fury team?

He moved LA or Vegas then moved to Morecome in England, to be with the Fury lot. Think the dedication has slowly gone downhill.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Joe Joyce weighed in at 256lbs. Zhilei Zhang weighed 278lbs.

Zhang just a pound heavier than when he fought Hrgovic. Joyce his lightest in a long time, he last weighed 256lbs, when he beat American Bryant Jennings (2019). Joyce weighed 271lbs against Joseph Parker, last time out.

image.thumb.png.8cc8595d9d6ba5beaa7c122d93bf51b1.png

• Thanks 1

I dunno.  Being light might be the right decision:

The deciding factor in this fight (other than the corrupt judges)  will likely be Joyce's excellent footwork and defense.

So lighter / slicker works for me.  It might be a long, frustrating night for Zhang.

• Thanks 1

People are underestimating Zhang-I wouldn't do that. The guy is tough, really tough, and he hits HARD. What he did to Hrgovic-you saw it. Hrgovic on the other hand landed plenty on him but was unable to hurt him-until the last round, when Zhang began showing the effects of taking too much leather, plus probably being out of gas as well. Zhang will give Joyce a hard fight, I have no doubt. BUT, of course-he will have to knock Joyce out to win. Or knock him down at least three times. So, I think the most likely scenario is that Joyce wins on points, or MAYBE, if Zhang again tires, he might pull off a championship round stoppage. Zhang is definitely the bigger puncher here, but Joyce has shown that he does have power in his last few fights. Just not of the one-punch short, I'd say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

*****SPOILERS*****

//

/

/

//

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

--- Joyce 10-1 favorite stopped in the 6th by Zhang via eye injury...

Though it's an Interim WBO title, it makes Zhang the first ever Chinese heavyweight champ. Supposedly a rematch clause, so nothing really sorted yet.

And, yeah, Joyce needs to ditch his team as I mentioned. The Joyce @271 lbs took it hard to Mighty Joe Parker in the late rounds. @256 he looked lethargic and his team incompetent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1