Best Fight of the Weekend~Artur Beterbeiv vs Anthony Yarde

LondonRingRules

Beterbiev showed he can bounce back from a knockdown vs Callum Johnson. Yarde probably isn't the best opponent he's faced. That would be Gvozdyk. Beterbiev's had one fight outside North America; that was in his native Russia. Yarde enjoys the comforts of home. Had the late stoppage loss to Kovalev in Russia then the slip-up vs Arthur where his lack of aggression cost him. Perhaps he learned his lesson; he's stopped all three of his opponents since, including the Arthur rematch. But Beterbiev is another level; a monster. "...and still..."

1 hour ago, Ledhed1 said:

Beterbiev showed he can bounce back from a knockdown vs Callum Johnson. Yarde probably isn't the best opponent he's faced. That would be Gvozdyk. Beterbiev's had one fight outside North America; that was in his native Russia. Yarde enjoys the comforts of home. Had the late stoppage loss to Kovalev in Russia then the slip-up vs Arthur where his lack of aggression cost him. Perhaps he learned his lesson; he's stopped all three of his opponents since, including the Arthur rematch. But Beterbiev is another level; a monster. "...and still..."

I think the loss to Lyndon Arthur isn't a big indicator. Arthur is big and rangy, a little cautious. But, Yarde was going into the fight off family tragedy. In the 6 months, before that fight, he lost 4 family members to Covid. Including his father and two grandparents. Not sure many human beings could cope, let alone turn up looking in great shape.
He lost and I think there has been an output vs stamina conundrum, especially after the Kovalev loss.
Yarde has skills, good hand speed and power. He isn't wreckless despite being a puncher. He's undoubtedly and underdog but not a no-hoper kind. He's 31, while the champion is 38. Beterbiev has the amateur background and better competition as a professional.
But, I wouldn't be surprised to see an upset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yarde CAN pull off the upset, but it will take him producing his ABSOLUTE top notch, peak performance. Because even at 38, you don't go in there against Beterbiev and expect to outbox him or beat him by playing it cautious. Both guys have the power to produce the ko, but Beterbiev's chances are bigger-I'd say AB has about 80% chance and Yarde about 50%. If I was Yarde's trainer, I'd tell him to take it slower the first 3-4 rounds, then try to go for the ko after round 6, because Beterbiev hasn't been in the later rounds for a while now. He might tire.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BoztheMadman said:

f I was Yarde's trainer, I'd tell him to take it slower the first 3-4 rounds, then try to go for the ko after round 6, because Beterbiev hasn't been in the later rounds for a while now. He might tire.

Makes some sense.   Except Beter is a come-forward bulldozer.  You can't really "take it slow" against him if you want to leave the ring on your own feet.  You have to stop a powerful come-forward fighter with your own power and aggression.  

If Yarde's plan is to try and coast until the later rounds, then the fight is already over.  He should be watching Fury-Wilder II,  over and over and over.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cableaddict said:

Makes some sense.   Except Beter is a come-forward bulldozer.  You can't really "take it slow" against him if you want to leave the ring on your own feet.  You have to stop a powerful come-forward fighter with your own power and aggression.  

If Yarde's plan is to try and coast until the later rounds, then the fight is already over.  He should be watching Fury-Wilder II,  over and over and over.

I said "slower", not slow. 😉 Which means, not just go at him like Smith did, and try to bum rush him. Won't work. AB has a chin of steel. He can be knocked down, we know that, but out? We don't know that yet. If Yarde just goes at it right away and tries to knock him out, he will most likely be destroyed.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LondonRingRules said:

--- Any of you 'perts ever seen such a compromised mug going into such big fight as this is?

Scully-and-Beterbiev-770x700.jpg

LMAO, that guy next to him, something is wrong with him. I was watching him speak yesterday and he made such grimaces that he must be on some kind of medication.

• Thanks 1

--- Goin' AI, Cable. 

Posing your own question and then answering it.

Anyway, that was supposed to be a Friday interview and photo, and if you look at all the preceding promotions, Beter is always covered up in head gear. 

Could be Hollywood make up to influence Yarde strategy. We'll see soon enough.

• Thanks 1

Great fight. 5th round is a candidate for Round of the Year. 7th round wasn't too shabby as well. Great ebb and flow, with the momentum shifts. Yarde fought his heart out, and deserves all the credit fighting so valiantly in defeat. I was more impressed with Yarde in defeat, than i was in most of his victories. As for Beterbiev, he's a machine. Got hurt a couple of times, but was smart enough to retreat in angles, and use his jab. In any of the rounds he was hurt during the middle of the round, he closed it out strong, by battering Yarde. Tremendous fight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched the ESPN+ broadcast with the Top Rank crew. I felt they were fair with their commentary. I didn't like them during the Dalakian fight. They felt it was a robbery, and keep going on and on about it. Was a close fight, no robbery. Also didn't care for Bradley saying that Yarde acting jittery during the early rounds was a good thing, and might confuse Beterbiev. 

Heard that the judges had Yarde ahead at the time of the stoppage. Not sure about that. 

• Thanks 1

- - Just watched the fight w/o commentary on my Iphone for security sake after Tiktok seized up my older Dell laptap leaving it near death for a few weeks before I managed to boot the beast off.

Yeah, scorecards had two refs with Yarde 1 pt ahead and the other with Beter 1 pt ahead, so it ain't a matter of questioning the scoring, it's a matter of upending the BBB of c and hoping to get a better result than this grade school function they operate at with apologies to grade schoolers who are pretty sharp these days.

I had a shut out over a bigger, younger, stronger, faster Yarde though he landed his best punch in the 5th that put Artur briefly on the back foot. 90% of what Yarde through were useless missed or barely glancing flurries. His corner was appalling in that at least one point they put their stool and water bucket in the corner while the fighters were exchanging a mere "yarde" away...stooooopid!!!!!

Then the next round the indolents were seemingly mopping up their corner for the duration of the round!

Anyway, at LH Beter just an above average physical specimen with no great strengths other than solid chin, excellent technique and extremely underrated footwork. The kicker is that he has an assassin's brain that only tries to force an issue once he has his man hurt complemented by decent power obviously. It's his sum total that has made him 19-0, 19 KO, so having seen Bivol fight a few times, yeah, he's more educated in his footwork than the scrambling Yarde, but he's gonna get cracked hard and often, so it comes down to whether he can hurt Artur enough to put him down and out, or cut him up like Browne did that gave him that split noggin.

The only kicker to not making that fight is both are native Russian speakers although not ethnically Russian, so politically they probably like their positions of being silent examples of their peoples in the vast Russian dominated former Soviet territories.

I think they'll fight, but where? They're big enough names now to attract sumptuous middle east oil $$$ that is a damn sight better than UK if you will pardon my disdain for the BBB of c...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BoztheMadman said:

Yarde started out too fast-what did I tell ya? See now, Cable? 😄 

It's the only reason he wasn't KTFO in under 4.     😁

------------------------

Yarde had a few moments,  but I thought he looked pretty bad overall. His big problem is that he's too tight and frenetic,  bouncing around like a rabbit on meth. He wastes massive amounts of energy, which is a bad idea given his overly-muscular body.   Look at Beterbiev's relaxed & fluid movements, compared to Yarde.  It's like night & day.

Yarde is done at the top level.   A very talented fighter, ruined by a lousy trainer.

And Beter, despite his age, looks like he could have at least a few more stellar years left.  - Probably in part because he knows how to conserve his energy in the ring.  (combined with incredible ring generalship.)

• Thanks 1

One other thought:

Besides the insanely bad cards,  (did Yarde actually win a single round?)  How in all that is holy did the ref allow Yarde's protector to be that high?  

(Let alone that thick.)  I think Yarde just set a new pro boxing record for least amount of torso visible.

Steve Grey also let Yarde continue to fight after everyone including my pet turtle could see that he was out on his feet.

Nothing suspicious there,  oh no .........

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LondonRingRules said:

--- Word has it British commentators were shyte. Any opinions?

Can't remember the last time I listened to commentary, so I wouldn't know even if I had seen the fight.

===============================================

I just consider pro boxing commentators to be the "comic relief" part of the program.  Sort of like a laugh track on a sitcom.

My favorite part this time was when one of these so-called experts said Beterbiev's cut man was "Russ Abner."

• Thanks 1

Yarde showed he can hang with the top of the division. I'd give him a good chance to beat anyone else at 175. His quick twitch could surprise even Bivol given perfect timing but odds are Bivol wouldn't permit that to happen. Beterbiev showed his vulnerabilities probably moreso than in any of his previous fights. He backed off several times when Yarde caught him. The key to beating him will be to jump on him when he's retreating and trying to reset. Probably only Bivol could bamboozle him with slick boxing and pick Beterbiev off as he overextends to land. It's not a very deep division but I could see Bivol or Callum Smith unseating him. Supermiddleweights who could move up and give him the stiffest challenge - Canelo and Benavidez would have a better than average chance imo. Beterbiev's beatable. Age and mileage are slowing creeping up on him. He's a warrior; he'll leave it all in the ring. Only one of the top guys could beat him but it'll happen.