Roberto Duran vs Manny Pacquiao

RAZZ-MCFC

Re: Roberto Duran vs Manny Pacquiao

At lightweight, and also at light welterweight.

What do you guys think?

Both animals in the ring.

----- Not any kind of legit match the way you have set the conditions.

You've ignored the huge weighin differences of their eras not to mention that Manny had exactly ONE fight at lightweight and Duran had zero title fights at 140.

Nor have you set any time frames for the bout. Duran was beat by DeJesus after he first won the LW title, so it's not a stretch to think the feather/superfeather versions of Manny which would best equalize the comparative size of the fighters could beat that version of Duran.

The Manny whose sole loss in the decade was to Morales was beset by legal problems with his promoter/manager contracts and fight contract, so it's not a stretch to think the best LW version of Duran could beat that version of Manny.

The most equalized competitive fight would be at welter where their ring weights and experience are roughly equal as would be the odds. Normally I favor Duran in most contests since up to the 1st Leonard fight he was in control of his weight and could arguably beat any welt in history, but the same could be said for a new millennium southpaw Manny who is as tough a nut ever made and with tricky quick power.

What do you guys think?

You've ignored the huge weighin differences of their eras not to mention that Manny had exactly ONE fight at lightweight and Duran had zero title fights at 140.

Nor have you set any time frames for the bout. Duran was beat by DeJesus after he first won the LW title, so it's not a stretch to think the feather/superfeather versions of Manny which would best equalize the comparative size of the fighters could beat that version of Duran.

The Manny whose sole loss in the decade was to Morales was beset by legal problems with his promoter/manager contracts and fight contract, so it's not a stretch to think the best LW version of Duran could beat that version of Manny.

The most equalized competitive fight would be at welter where their ring weights and experience are roughly equal as would be the odds. Normally I favor Duran in most contests since up to the 1st Leonard fight he was in control of his weight and could arguably beat any welt in history, but the same could be said for a new millennium southpaw Manny who is as tough a nut ever made and with tricky quick power.

Fucking hell it isn't rocket science, there's no obstacles. The best Manny vs the best Duran.

It doesn't matter how long or for how little they fought there, they both fought at those weights at some point in their careers. It's mythical we aren't talking real life so there's obviously not going to be obstructions like legal and contractual issues.

What do you guys think?

No way would ANY version of Duran have beaten Sugar Ray Robinson.

What do you guys think?

f***** hell it isn't rocket science, there's no obstacles. The best Manny vs the best Duran.

It doesn't matter how long or for how little they fought there, they both fought at those weights at some point in their careers. It's mythical we aren't talking real life so there's obviously not going to be obstructions like legal and contractual issues.

You might as well bang your head against a brick wall Razz.

f***** hell it isn't rocket science, there's no obstacles. The best Manny vs the best Duran.

----- It ain't even boxing science the way you scripted the match.

In boxing there's always obstacles to making fights which is why a slew of great fights never got made. You chose to ignore the career timelines of what is practical which is what putting pen to contract is all about, the first step in making a promoter's big match.

English comprehension also helps. I gave the best versions of Duran and Manny which are also their biggest promotional years. I'll let you fightem on your playstations and give us the 100% guaranteed definitive results.

In the real world which is where results are posted, flip a coin a dozen times and that's it.

----- It ain't even boxing science the way you scripted the match.

In boxing there's always obstacles to making fights which is why a slew of great fights never got made. You chose to ignore the career timelines of what is practical which is what putting pen to contract is all about, the first step in making a promoter's big match.

English comprehension also helps. I gave the best versions of Duran and Manny which are also their biggest promotional years. I'll let you fightem on your playstations and give us the 100% guaranteed definitive results.

In the real world which is where results are posted, flip a coin a dozen times and that's it.

Yes but we aren't talking about the real world! It's purely fantasy. Timelines, obstacles etc don't matter one bit because it's pure fantasy. You're right, there is always obstacles, but that's when we're talking real life. A match that you make up on the spot in your head can be made without obstacles and without other crap getting in the way.

Yes but we aren't talking about the real world! It's purely fantasy. Timelines, obstacles etc don't matter one bit because it's pure fantasy. You're right, there is always obstacles, but that's when we're talking real life. A match that you make up on the spot in your head can be made without obstacles and without other crap getting in the way.

----- Oh, pure schoolboy fantasy is it?

Great, I whip the bunch while eating a leisurely lunch and then KTFO of prime Ali and end of story.

I love it, it's so me!

Londonringrules,man what is your problem its a fantasy fight which members just give a opinion who they think would win the contest.As Razz stated its not rocket science,but its a bit of fun which gets plenty of hits so members seem to like the format.Easy solution Londonringrules,if you dont agree with the format on Fantasy Fights dont bother with it and go on the other great segments on the forum.

Tough one. I think Duran at his best batters Pacquiao at his best. Duran is already an elite top 10 of all time but Pacquiao is no slouch either. I think Duran had the lot: Punch, skill, aggression... But then so does Pacquiao. Both also have pretty decent chins. I think at 135lbs Duran wins 9 times out of 10 whereas from 140lbs and above i think it might be 50-50 as Pacquiao seems to have got better as time has gone on.

Londonringrules,man what is your problem its a fantasy fight which members just give a opinion who they think would win the contest.As Razz stated its not rocket science,but its a bit of fun which gets plenty of hits so members seem to like the format.Easy solution Londonringrules,if you dont agree with the format on Fantasy Fights dont bother with it and go on the other great segments on the forum.

----- What format?

I'm here to talk quality boxing and point out the fight was made under poor ring conditions that don't reflect the best attributes each has for a superfight.

Quality boxing seems to be a threat to you, but if it's just hits you want, welcome to check out my all time article, Where's Waldo or the Next American Heavyweight Champ.

Since Razz is stuck on 135/140, then everything favors Manny who has been fighting as a full welter since his superfeather days and has an extra day to recuperate from the weighin.

Duran will be the smaller man fighting in the 15 round, same weighin day era against the best 12rd fighter in history, not a fair fight. Duran gives up too many advantages as the way the fight is scripted.

Well how about Manny has his arms amputated and Duran is given a rocket launcher, would that make it fairer?

It's a fantasy matchup FFS. angry//

And since when were superfights fair anyway. Each time Hagler fought a superfight for example, he was the genuine middle. Duran, Hearns and Leonard all had to move up to HIS weightclass, but you didn't hear them moaning did you?

If this fantasy section of the forum offends your quaint sense of pomposity and self-righteousness then for crying out loud DON'T READ IT!

Cretin. finger//

• 2 months later...

honestly, its all good to hear about all the intangibles. I'm over-analytical londonringrules and my wife hates it and reacts like wheelchair, but hey who

at the end of the day, its nothing to lose sleep over.

IT REALLY IS FUN HEARING ALL SIDES

DAMN SHIFT (shat) key keeps getting suck!!!!!!

I think it would be a great war and the winner would win by knockout

Fact.

Even when he fought at 135 Roberto would often weigh over 200 lbs between fights ( Ricky Fuckin Hatton eat your heart out, or whatever else you can get down your throat ) so this garbage by London Ring Rules about Pakow being the heavier man in the ring is pure bollox.

Sure he lost to De Jesus in one of their 3 fights, but for sure he wouldn't get dropped in his prime by jabs, and neither would he get KTFO by bugs like Torrecampo, or Singsurat, much less get beaten by a semi shot fighter like Morales was at the time.

Anyone who saw how clumsy, and amatuerish JMM recently made Pakow look yet doesn't think Duran could do the same, if not worse, is not living in the real world.

One is a legend through his in ring ability, the other fuckin idiot is a legend through modern media.

No comparison.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...