WBC creates new 224lb division?

Gerald

Not sure whether this is legit, but Boxing News 24 is reporting that the WBC is planning to create a 224lb division and lower the cruiserweight division to 190lbs

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2020/10/wbc-creates-new-224-lb-division-cruiserweight-now-190-lbs/

Little doubt this is simply more mercenary behaviour by the WBC, trying to proliferate sanctioning fees whilst masquerading as the defenders of fair competition.

Hard to see this working particularly well, especially if the WBC are alone in creating the division. The financial allure of the heavyweight division is almost certainly too great to entice the top level smaller heavyweights to campaign in the lighter division and it potentially hurts the bigger cruiserweights (still interested in contesting WBC rankings/belts) who will now be forced to fight in the heavier division (although, by the same token, it helps bigger light heavies to jump up a division).

Will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Anyone else remember the last time there were weight divisions in different sanctioning bodies that weren't aligned?

I actually kind of like it. The jump from 174 to 200 has always been a bit ridiculous. And a 200 lb fighter could still choose to compete at 'Super Heavy," or whatever they call it. It wouldn't even do too much damage to the historical records, since most HW champs were below 230 lbs, anyway, except for the last few decades.

And heck, more championship fights for us fans as well.

But then they should also get RID of a few divisions, like Junior Lightweight.

---Porker Suli just returned cruiser to the original loser division for Failed hvys that Mr Field first earned his notoriety in. More importantly with a single stroke of his porcine fingers, he's hijacked the great division the 200s had grown into. Meanwhile, boxing continues their long history of making a hash of the greatest, most essential sport ever devised that is the progenitor of all pro sports since.

It's true the 25lb gulf between LHW and Cruiser is tough to fit into. Cruiser was originally 190 then bumped to 195 then 200. I've contemplated another division above LHW and putting it back at 190. But then what to call it? Super LHW? Why not? 140 is called superlightweight after all! Then bump Cruiser to let's say 210.

To put this in the context of now. Usyk wouldn't be Anthony Joshua's mandatory. Usyk wouldn't be fighting Dereck Chisora. Usyk would be in the new division and Chisora would be in the Super-Heavyweight division.

AJ's lightest weight in recent years was 237, so not likely. Granted, heavies don't need to drain for the weigh-in, so it's hard to know how low they could safely go, but 224 seems a stretch, considering how ripped AJ always looks in the ring.

But they could make the cut-off around 235. Aj would make that easily for the weigh-in. Even Wlad could have made that easily.

Let the fat fukers and too-big-to have-any-speed guys fight each other at SHW. That gives much better fights at HW.

I'm liking this idea more & more ......

Edited by Cableaddict

There will be a real lack of depth at the Super Heavyweight division. You will have Fury and Joshua and not much else.

it will be a wasteland !

ADAM KOWNACKI 20 (16) - 1

6’3” ~ 250 lbs

Agit Kabayel 20 (13) - 0

6’3” ~ 235 lbs

Andy Ruiz Jr. 33 (22) - 2

Broke his scale.

Apti Davtaev 20 (19) - 0

6’5” ~ 255 lbs

Arslanbek Makhmudov 11 (11) - 0

6’ 5.5” / ~ 260 lbs

Bakhodir Jalolov 6 (6) - 0

6’7” ~ 240 lbs

Bogdan Dinu 20 (16) - 2

6’ 5” ~ 240 lbs +

Daniel Dubois 14 (13) -0

6’5” ~ 240 lbs

DARMANI ROCK 17 (12) -0

275 lbs +

DILLIAN WHYTE 27 (18) - 2

250 lbs +

Dominic Breazeale 20 (18) - 2

6’7” 255 lbs +

Efe Ajagba 14 (11) - 0

6’ 5” / 85” reach ! ~ 240 lbs

# Fillip Hrgovic 11 (9) - 0

240 lbs +

George Arias 15 (7) - 0

6’0” ~ 240 lbs

Guido Vianello 7 (7) - 0

237 lbs +

Jarrell Miller 23 (20) - 0

6’ 4” Almost 300 lbs

JERMAINE FRANKLIN 20 (13) -0

6’ 2” 230 - 245 lbs

Joe Joyce 11 (10) - 0

6’6” 260 lbs +

Joseph Parker

6’ 4” 240 lbs +

Junior Fa 19 (10) - 0

~ 260 lbs

## Luis Ortiz

237 lbs at his lightest

Lukasz Rozanski 13 (12) - 0

~ 240 lbs

Martin Bakole Llunga 15 (12) - 1

6’6” 260 + lbs

NATHAN GORMAN 17 (11) - 1

6’ 3” ~ 250 - 273 lbs

Oscar Rivas 26 (18) - 1

~ 235 lbs

Rob Helenius 30 (19) - 3

235 lbs +

Tom Schwarz 26 (18) - 0

6’5.5” ~ 245 lbs

Tony Yoka 8 (7) - 0

6’ 7” / ~ 240 lbs

(Yes, I have no life. )

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Reports now suggest that WBC is planning to lower the cruiserweight limit to 190 - so this new 'Bridger' weight will be 190 - 224. Actually some merit to this (leap from 175 into fighting 200lb men was always a tall ask for light heavies moving up to cruiser) but this certainly feels like they are making it up as they go along.

https://www.boxingscene.com/wbc-prez-lower-cruiser-limit-190-which-force-boxers-bridgerweight--153214

• 4 weeks later...
^ You think that will actually happen?

Yes I do cable OR he will give it his best shot. He said there would be an announcement as covid was taking a grip. Obviously we are 3/4 of a year behind in negotiations now.

He was asked the question during one of those post fight breakdown shows for the UFC. If I can find it, I'll post it. He also went on (briefly) to say that negotiating with Haymon was like pulling teeth. And there were trapdoors beneath every paragraph of documentation.

As an example, he said that initially he couldn't get clarification for something as basic as to whether it was the PBC brand name that was up for sale, including or not including the boxing stable. One is really no good without the other for Dana's proposal. If he owned the name but not the fighters, Haymon would be even richer and still hold all the keys.

I imagine Dana's legal bill won't be cheap in all of this for the ultra scrutiny required. I used to worship the alphabet bodies, but with their bizarre proclamations and decisions, and the never ending stream of mickey mouse belts on offer they have had their day and become a collective freakshow.

What harm came to the NBA ? Look at them now. A multi billion dollar industry with tentacles in every major city, charity projects and deprived area development. Educational services etc etc

The ONLY way to see the best fight the best in this current era is with a single franchise ownership. One welterweight belt. One belt for every weight class. Whats wrong with that ?

Every week someone comes on here saying 'when is Urrl gonna fight Bud?' Or its equivalent at HW or whatever weight. And all the excuses are offered up 'its the promoters', 'its the tv companies', 'its the split', 'hes got to defend his xxx belt first against a no-hope mandatory, then he'll take a year off, so it wont be this year', 'its just never going to happen'.

I say the sooner the better this happens, irrespective of whether I personally like Dana or not, the better for boxing. I didn't like Bernie Ecclestone, but F1 aren't doing too shabbily now through his efforts.

AND lets not forget, left alone, Haymon is well over half way to doing this himself. The clue was when Haymon announced the WBO would not be recognized by the PBC - at all, and all ties were being cut - in a vain (and clumsy) attempt to get Bud to sign up when his TR contract was about to expire. Thats more or less when Dana threw his hat into the ring. The writing was on the wall.

So, as the purists shout from the rooftops "we dont want Dana!' all the time Haymon continues to quietly sign fighters and increase his grip, it becomes a game of would-you-rather. Would you rather have Haymon and the terrible selfie twins or Dana in charge of a single boxing franchise ? Careful what you wish for.

Yes I do cable OR he will give it his best shot. He said there would be an announcement as covid was taking a grip. Obviously we are 3/4 of a year behind in negotiations now.

He was asked the question during one of those post fight breakdown shows for the UFC. If I can find it, I'll post it. He also went on (briefly) to say that negotiating with Haymon was like pulling teeth. And there were trapdoors beneath every paragraph of documentation.

As an example, he said that initially he couldn't get clarification for something as basic as to whether it was the PBC brand name that was up for sale, including or not including the boxing stable. One is really no good without the other for Dana's proposal. If he owned the name but not the fighters, Haymon would be even richer and still hold all the keys.

I imagine Dana's legal bill won't be cheap in all of this for the ultra scrutiny required. I used to worship the alphabet bodies, but with their bizarre proclamations and decisions, and the never ending stream of mickey mouse belts on offer they have had their day and become a collective freakshow.

What harm came to the NBA ? Look at them now. A multi billion dollar industry with tentacles in every major city, charity projects and deprived area development. Educational services etc etc

The ONLY way to see the best fight the best in this current era is with a single franchise ownership. One welterweight belt. One belt for every weight class. Whats wrong with that ?

Every week someone comes on here saying 'when is Urrl gonna fight Bud?' Or its equivalent at HW or whatever weight. And all the excuses are offered up 'its the promoters', 'its the tv companies', 'its the split', 'hes got to defend his xxx belt first against a no-hope mandatory, then he'll take a year off, so it wont be this year', 'its just never going to happen'.

I say the sooner the better this happens, irrespective of whether I personally like Dana or not, the better for boxing. I didn't like Bernie Ecclestone, but F1 aren't doing too shabbily now through his efforts.

AND lets not forget, left alone, Haymon is well over half way to doing this himself. The clue was when Haymon announced the WBO would not be recognized by the PBC - at all, and all ties were being cut - in a vain (and clumsy) attempt to get Bud to sign up when his TR contract was about to expire. Thats more or less when Dana threw his hat into the ring. The writing was on the wall.

So, as the purists shout from the rooftops "we dont want Dana!' all the time Haymon continues to quietly sign fighters and increase his grip, it becomes a game of would-you-rather. Would you rather have Haymon and the terrible selfie twins or Dana in charge of a single boxing franchise ? Careful what you wish for.

Good post Selij, and I've said this many times over the years when the topics come up about what aspect ruins boxing the most. Promoters, TV companies, multi ABC bodies etc and the fact is that it is BECAUSE there are multiple recognised "bodies" that allows for the other aspects to become problematic. They allow for a promoter to keep their guy away from a dangerous champion and aim for another route instead, as an example.

I don't see some grand saviour such as Dana White succeeding though. What about all the other promotors....what are they gonna do?