Alvarez files lawsuit against GBP and DAZN over £280m / $365m contract - Seeks HUGE damages

The_budweiser

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez has filed a lawsuit against Golden Boy Promotions and broadcaster DAZN after being unable to agree terms for his next fight.

The Mexican star has been inactive since a WBO light-heavyweight title win over Sergey Kovalev last November, despite being linked with a variety of opponents, including British duo Callum Smith and Billy Joe Saunders.

Canelo had been expected to return on his traditional fight date of Cinco de Mayo, the Mexican holiday weekend in May, but a fight failed to materialise, and the 30-year-old has launched a legal battle, with a return date yet to be established.

Damages Alvarez seeks $280m (£216m).

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/12067089/saul-canelo-alvarez-files-lawsuit-against-golden-boy-promotions-and-broadcaster-dazn

Seems like Canelo might have them by the balls here in the guaranteed money promised to him. But I haven't read too deep into the matter.

So much money on the table, it's insane.

Nearly a year since he last fought. He must have money and x-amount fights built into the contract and neither have happened.

I agree, it's a insane amount of money.

Alvarez said in a statement: "I'm the pound-for-pound No 1 in the world. I'm not scared of any opponent in the ring, and I'm not going to let failures of my broadcaster or promoters keep me out of the ring."

He's defo blaming the broadcaster and promoter for his failings. Going to be interesting and a lengthy process which might keep Canelo out the for some considerable time.

Dazn got a bit of praise for them not "sanctioning" the attempted Yildrim fight, but have also read that they are looking for better opposition and that they didn't deem Jacobs or Kovalev "top level" opponents :noidea:

That could just be hearsay, along with the other rumour that they would consider some bouts vs top UFC stars as worthy to put on, but I am very skeptical about the truth in that.

It's a shit show all round really.

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of big meetings last week between Dazn management and Clenelo's mob. All the details spilled on last week's Max on Boxing by Mike C. They've basically agreed he can fight cans but he will get a revised $20m per fight instead of $35m.

** Max posted here

vlcsnap-2020-09-26-10h50m06s712.jpg

Dazn have been looking for, and were relying on Clenelo, for the simultaneous 200+ country rollout (inc the UK - I have been on the beta testing program) with a marquee event from him. With this now not happening, the worldwide launch seems to be on hold.

If Clenelo insists on holding Dazn to the original agreement it will create some sort of a stalemate akin to the Dre situation. And we all want to see Clenelo in action.

• Like 2

Couple of big meetings last week between Dazn management and Clenelo's mob. All the details spilled on last week's Max on Boxing by Mike C. They've basically agreed he can fight cans but he will get a revised $20m per fight instead of $35m.

Dazn have been looking for, and were relying on Clenelo, for the simultaneous 200+ country rollout (inc the UK - I have been on the beta testing program) with a marquee event from him. With this now not happening, the launch seems to be on hold.

If Clenelo insists on holding Dazn to the original agreement it will create some sort of a stalemate akin to the Dre situation. And we all want to see Clenelo in action.

Easy money 2 cans in 6 months $40, one thoughie $35

• Like 1