Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alvarez files lawsuit against GBP and DAZN over 280m / $365m contract - Seeks HUGE damages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alvarez files lawsuit against GBP and DAZN over 280m / $365m contract - Seeks HUGE damages

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez has filed a lawsuit against Golden Boy Promotions and broadcaster DAZN after being unable to agree terms for his next fight.

The Mexican star has been inactive since a WBO light-heavyweight title win over Sergey Kovalev last November, despite being linked with a variety of opponents, including British duo Callum Smith and Billy Joe Saunders.

Canelo had been expected to return on his traditional fight date of Cinco de Mayo, the Mexican holiday weekend in May, but a fight failed to materialise, and the 30-year-old has launched a legal battle, with a return date yet to be established.

Damages Alvarez seeks $280m (216m).

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...oadcaster-dazn

- -Oscar having loads of problems with Canelo and Garcia of late. Lawyer bonanza in Corona Virus Panic of 2020!

Comment

Seems like Canelo might have them by the balls here in the guaranteed money promised to him. But I haven't read too deep into the matter.
      So much money on the table, it's insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Ton View Post
        Seems like Canelo might have them by the balls here in the guaranteed money promised to him. But I haven't read too deep into the matter.
        So much money on the table, it's insane.
        Nearly a year since he last fought. He must have money and x-amount fights built into the contract and neither have happened.

I agree, it's a insane amount of money.

Alvarez said in a statement: "I'm the pound-for-pound No 1 in the world. I'm not scared of any opponent in the ring, and I'm not going to let failures of my broadcaster or promoters keep me out of the ring."
        He's defo blaming the broadcaster and promoter for his failings. Going to be interesting and a lengthy process which might keep Canelo out the for some considerable time.

Comment

--- If the sweeten the pot and Canelo fights GGG at 168, they'll hug and kiss and he'll fight.

Comment

Clenelo has a '10 fights in 5 year' deal, and he's suing them for the remainder of the money for the 7 fights he hasn't had yet.... is he on Oscar's free beak supply ?

Comment

Dazn got a bit of praise for them not "sanctioning" the attempted Yildrim fight, but have also read that they are looking for better opposition and that they didn't deem Jacobs or Kovalev "top level" opponents

That could just be hearsay, along with the other rumour that they would consider some bouts vs top UFC stars as worthy to put on, but I am very skeptical about the truth in that.

It's a shit show all round really.

Comment

-- Time for Canelo to debut Dancing With The Stars. I'm sure flashy face masks and stunning attire can be made. Let's remember too that the rules of everyone's lives have changed in The Great Corona Virus Panic of 2020 that this kicked sheesh show off, mine included.

Comment

- -I'm reading the Cali lawsuit was dismissed because of an error. Oscar owns Cali, so no surprises there. Meanwhile WBC ordered purse bids for Yildrim...only in boxing, folks!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X