COMPETITION - Your Fav fight so far in 2020 and why?

The_budweiser

Hmmm. Not a lot of really close, high energy fights this year, so far.

I really enjoyed Ramirez - Postol. Every round was close, and both men had high output combined with reasonable skill.

Joe Smith Jr taking out Alvarez was the highlight of the year for me, so far.

- Not a great fight, exactly, since Smith was so dominant, but so so sooooo satisfying!

Edited by Cableaddict

--- Big Ty epic busting up Deyonce is what I was gonna say, but have to check to when the fight was. Just Another Joe Named Smith breaking a very good Eleider Alvarez before near blasting him out of the ring sweet concussive music. Haven't been many fights to choose from. Btw, this new format compresses the text into a narrow column with no spacing of the paragraphs resulting in a long run on sentence look.

--- Big Ty epic busting up Deyonce is what I was gonna say, but have to check to when the fight was. Just Another Joe Named Smith breaking a very good Eleider Alvarez before near blasting him out of the ring sweet concussive music. Haven't been many fights to choose from. Btw, this new format compresses the text into a narrow column with no spacing of the paragraphs resulting in a long run on sentence look.

Are you still using a phone from 2005 Bobby!? :haha:

As per the topic:

I really can't think of many fights from the year that really have stuck out and I have missed a lot that were deemed to be good match ups and never got to catching up to them.

So i suppose I'll have to say Whtye / Povetkin. A big shock upset and probably KO of the year highlight reel ending.

The ONLY fight I had any real interest in at all was Fury-Wilder II. I just haven't kept up on it the last five years or more, so usually when I recognize a fighters name, it means one thing.......he's an old guy fighting the young star, simply hanging around for a payday.

Yo DM :thumb:

The ONLY fight I had any real interest in at all was Fury-Wilder II. I just haven't kept up on it the last five years or more, so usually when I recognize a fighters name, it means one thing.......he's an old guy fighting the young star, simply hanging around for a payday.

Hi Dave!! Good to see you here.

Who was the old guy and young guy for you in Wilder-Fury then?? :haha:

I think my favorite fight so far has been Eric Donovan vs Zelfa Barrett. Not really important in the grand scheme of things, but I do love the smaller fights. Donovan had been quietly dominating the fight, but Barrett landed a shot that turned the whole thing around. The ending didn't come right away, but it was inevitable once that shot landed. Donovan showed a lot of heart, but the shots that ended him would probably end most people. It was one of those fights that made me appreciate than anything can happen in boxing.

• 2 weeks later...

Julio Cesar Martinez defending his WBC World Flyweight title against Welshman Jay Harris. The fight took place, in February, at The Ford Center at The Star, Frisco, USA.

The young Martinez is raw but powerful and Harris has, somewhat, been overshadowed by countryman Andrew Selby. But, Jay has kept plugging away winning Commonwealth & European belts. I covered Jay's debut, in 2013, for Ringnews24.

The fight, with Martinez, was fantastic and Harris battled hard against the kid wonder. Harris survived a knockdown in the 10th and showed his heart by fighting back.

Great fight - full of action.

Julio Cesar Martinez defending his WBC World Flyweight title against Welshman Jay Harris. .

Good call. I completely forgot about that fight. Just watched it again.

Martinez reminds me of a prime Chocolatito. But Harris was fearless, and stood in the pocket trading. Great stuff.

Edited by Cableaddict

--- Winner a done deal after the Jose Zepeda/Ivan Baranchyk shootout over 5 rds with 4 KDs apiece. Seldom do the cards in such a drama fest align so perfectly with the last KD unofficial since it was the KO punch. Also Bayless missed another KD he ruled a slip, but as good as the scoring was, Zepeda took it out of their grubbies. Ivan and Jose ended up side by side in the hospital where they were taken for testing with all released in good health. Win/Win/ win for the fighters and boxing. https://boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Fight:2540599

--- Winner a done deal after the Jose Zepeda/Ivan Baranchyk shootout over 5 rds with 4 KDs apiece. Seldom do the cards in such a drama fest align so perfectly with the last KD unofficial since it was the KO punch.

Wow. Good call.

Reminded me a bit of Hagler -Hearns. Rockem sockem, but with really high skill level from both men.

Easily FOTY so far.

Also KO of the year, with very little chance of it being topped by New Years.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Zepeda - Baranchyk is still a prime contender, but -

Juan Francisco Estrada vs Carlos Cuadras may have overtaken it.

Boy HOWDY ! Amazing output. Great back&forth. Both men on the canvas at various times......

------------------

Lipnets-Clayton was damned good, too, though not quite at the same level.

Edited by Cableaddict