Vasiliy Lomachenko next fight announced - Happy with his opponent?

The_budweiser

WBA and WBO lightweight champion Vasiliy Lomachenko 14-1 (10) will finally clash with IBF counterpart Teofimo ‘El Brooklyn’ Lopez 15-0 (12) at ‘The Bubble’ at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada on October 17.

https://www.ringnews24.com/2020/09/08/vasiliy-lomachenko-vs-teofimo-lopez-signed-sealed-delivered-for-october-17/

Never been a Loma fan, and everytime I watch him fight I'm rooting for the opponent. Cant wait to see him lose (again).

Really? Why'zat?

Loma is supremely talented, reasonably humble, and seems like a nice guy. He's fought everyone that wanted to face him, and he's never won via a bogus decision.

I can't see any reason not to like him. Maybe root against him just to break up the monopoly he has on the division, I guess. :noidea:

I think Lopez has what it takes to give Loma a tough time, at least for a few rounds. I think he hits harder, and he definitely has faster hands. He also has excellent head movement.

My guess is that Loma will be afraid of his power, and expecially of his body attack, and will stay on the outside, where his superior footwork will give him the edge.

UD Lomachenko.

- But I'll also be rooting for Lopez. :haha:

Never been a Loma fan, and everytime I watch him fight I'm rooting for the opponent. Cant wait to see him lose (again).

I think Lopez has what it takes to give Loma a tough time, at least for a few rounds. I think he hits harder, and he definitely has faster hands. He also has excellent head movement.

My guess is that Loma will be afraid of his power, and expecially of his body attack, and will stay on the outside, where his superior footwork will give him the edge.

UD Lomachenko.

Questioning myself now because I had this view too, but since Cable has it....I think I will bet on the complete opposite :haha:

Will watch as a complete neutral and just hope for a good, engaging fight. Though I like Lopez' talent, maybe his personality traits could be questions. I don't like brash and cocky and he's shown this in the past, and I'm doubting he suddenly becomes humble. So I could grow to really dislike the kid!

--- Cablesan, Loma has everything over Teo save power, I mean wtf? Always said his Achilles heel that dooms him will be power, but Walters had it in spades and was so baffled he had to quit. Teo has that puncher chance, but most likely he'll No Mas like most the others, and Loma the best inside game in the biz, and you say he's gonna give that up? Sheesh!!!

• 1 month later...
This fight is only a couple of days away and has, shamefully, not been picked up by UK TV. meaning I'll have to find via nefarious means the following day. I still think this is coming a little early for Lopez. Talented as Lopez is and naturally the bigger man, I think Loma is still pretty near his peak and knows far too much.

I've never quite decided if Loma is a pressure fighter masquerading as a boxer or a boxer masquerading as a pressure fighter. The former I think. It's the pressuring style that gives opponents a chance. Lopez doesn;t have a chance of outboxing him so he has to go for the stoppage.

Looking for Lopez to pull the upset in this one. Don't see Lopez winning on points so it's gotta be a stoppage and I think Lopez can catch Loma with a big shot to turn the fight. Sadly this will probably result in a rematch, of which there's far too many these days. But these are clearly the top 2 at 135 so if ever we could tolerate 2 fights between fighters, this pair may be one of the exceptions.

*****SPOILER ALERT!!!!! \/ * * * * * * * * * * --- Imagine Loma and Sr are shedding a few tears in Loma 3rd defeat of his entire boxing career. Teo's burden about to begin as he discovers the weight of being "The Great Champ" he inherited. Led will happy to know he's squelched the rematch, but Uncle Bob just increased his options on both Teo and Loma tenfold, so stay tuned. Big Stuff ahead!!!

Well Loma seemed to fight the wrong fight, not doing a whole bunch of anything for 6 rounds.

Not to say that Lopez won due to Loma's own gameplan. He still took the lead, kept Loma at bay and respecting his power. Lopez fully deserved the win, but some of those scorecards did seem a bit wide and have overshadowed the event somewhat.

Well Loma seemed to fight the wrong fight, not doing a whole bunch of anything for 6 rounds.

Not to say that Lopez won due to Loma's own gameplan. He still took the lead, kept Loma at bay and respecting his power. Lopez fully deserved the win, but some of those scorecards did seem a bit wide and have overshadowed the event somewhat.

I thought it was a draw. Loma clearly looked ring rusty. They will surely make a rematch.

I thought it was a draw. Loma clearly looked ring rusty. They will surely make a rematch.

Say WHAT ? :faint:

Lopez won the first seven rounds as clearly as can be. He won the 12th so convincingly even Stevie Wonder saw it.

And personally I didn't see Loma win all of the remaining four. I had it 10-2. 9-3 at the most.

IMO, besides Lopez' obvious power advantage and body attack, the really big factor was Lopez' excellent defensive footwork, which was better than we've ever seen from him before. Along with that modified Philly Shell he always uses, that defensive movement kept Loma from using his patented "move to the right then throw a right hand from an angle" attack. And without that, all Loma could do on the outside was dance.

Loma tried to take it inside for part of exactly two rounds, managed to trade pretty well but got the snot punched out of him, then retreated to the outside again where he proceeded to do fukall for the rest of the fight.

(Except for a short, desperate flurry in the 12th, which he ended up on the short-end of.)

A DRAW ?

Boz .......

Edited by Cableaddict

I thought Loma was intimidated by Lopez power early which led him to get started too late to make up the difference in points. Agree I had Lopez winning the first 7. No quarrel with the 8-4 9-3 cards. Lederman's card was outta whack. Lopez-Haney would seem makeable (TopRank + Matchroom has history). Lopez-Gervontae - assuming he beats LSC - unlikely unless PPV bucks can bring TopRank and PBC together again. Then there's the KingRy-Campbell winner. But Lopez was superb. He was bold and aggressive and took Loma's plan away from him.

Not sure how anyone can score this fight a draw......

25 fightnight scores users have it 8-4 to Lopez....first 7 rounds and the 12th.

This is the combined card with everyones cards taken into account and accumulated.

ldTcCb2.png?1

At a push and being generous you could maybe give Loma round 1 I think it was where not a whole lot happened and possibly the 7th where he actually started to do something but I saw Lopez still getting the better of that round. That's a stretch though. Lopez deserved the win.

• Like 1

I scored it 115-113 for Lopez. Very disappointed in Loma's lack of adjustment. It took him 7 rounds to realise that the best way of nullifying Lopez's power was to smother it. Lopez was much sharper in the first half as well. Edited by Robbo

Say WHAT ? :faint:

Lopez won the first seven rounds as clearly as can be. He won the 12th so convincingly even Stevie Wonder saw it.

And personally I didn't see Loma win all of the remaining four. I had it 10-2. 9-3 at the most.

IMO, besides Lopez' obvious power advantage and body attack, the really big factor was Lopez' excellent defensive footwork, which was better than we've ever seen from him before. Along with that modified Philly Shell he always uses, that defensive movement kept Loma from using his patented "move to the right then throw a right hand from an angle" attack. And without that, all Loma could do on the outside was dance.

Loma tried to take it inside for part of exactly two rounds, managed to trade pretty well but got the snot punched out of him, then retreated to the outside again where he proceeded to do fukall for the rest of the fight.

(Except for a short, desperate flurry in the 12th, which he ended up on the short-end of.)

A DRAW ?

Boz .......

Fuck off, Loma won the second round and THE SEVENTH. Lopez won 1,3,4,5,6 and 12. Do the math yourself, or are you seeing it thru the eyes of an AMERICAN??:whistle:

Not sure how anyone can score this fight a draw......

25 fightnight scores users have it 8-4 to Lopez....first 7 rounds and the 12th.

This is the combined card with everyones cards taken into account and accumulated.

ldTcCb2.png?1

At a push and being generous you could maybe give Loma round 1 I think it was where not a whole lot happened and possibly the 7th where he actually started to do something but I saw Lopez still getting the better of that round. That's a stretch though. Lopez deserved the win.

OMG! That is the worst scorecard ever, only beaten by Julie Lederman's! :rofl2:Tish and pish to that scorecard and your whole assessment!