WBC plan at lightweight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBC plan at lightweight

We started this topic in the threadless thread but perhaps we could do with a dedicated thread. Bear in mind these are the WBC's plans; promoter and fighter cooperation pending.

They've proposed KingRy vs Campbell with the winner getting Haney. Another match in the works is Linares vs Fortuna. What do all these fighters have in common? They're all with GoldenBoy or Matchroom (DAZN). (Fortuna's kind of a free agent.) Hardly a coincidence. Fine fights, make no mistake. If everyone's on board, the result would be a GoldenBoy/Matchroom/DAZN lightweight world champion. Just do away with the alphabet belts. Each promoter can recognize their own champion.

Loma and Teofimo for the TopRank title. I can see PBC populating the division to give Gervontae a series of opponents. What are odds any of these three paths intersect with any other? Probably pretty low.

We all know Loma's the man at 135. The WBC's pulling a WBA, shifting champions - Canelo, Loma, possibly Fury - into "franchise" status while recognizing regular and interim champions. Unless the man who emerges from the WBC regular/interim path or Gervontae wants the Loma/Teofimo winner, a grain of salt comes with all this. There was never anything wrong with being a contender, but now a world title - any world title - is the end game for many fighters then their promoters too often won't risk matching them with the other top fighters in their division.

Apparently the WBC is open to either KingRy/Campbell (preferred) or Linares/Fortuna for its interim title and mandatory status for Haney. The title shot probably goes to the highest bidder. However it turns out I'd favor Haney emerging from all this. Haney vs KingRy would be some fight, though.

- -Kingry may be a tad too underdeveloped for Campbell, but agreed, a good fight.

WBC trying to force fights for sanctioning fees nothing new, nor the fighters always agreeing.

Comment

If Linares dominates Fortuna, And Loma beats Lopez, I'd love to see Linares get another shot at Loma.
      That was really a pretty competitive fight, despite how the commentators slanted it. Plus if the ref hadn't kept giving Linares shit about imaginary low-blows, who knows what might have happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Cableaddict View Post
        If Linares dominates Fortuna, And Loma beats Lopez, I'd love to see Linares get another shot at Loma.
        That was really a pretty competitive fight, despite how the commentators slanted it. Plus if the ref hadn't kept giving Linares shit about imaginary low-blows, who knows what might have happened?
        I don't think it was so competitive, Linares had his moments and dropped Loma once, but otherwise, Loma dominated him. I don't think Linares could do any better second time around. Rather have him fight one of the young lions. Lopez and/or Davis or Garcia even.

Comment

--- Uh, Loma fighting one handed KOed Linares. It ain't gonna be any better in the rematch.

When he comes back from arm surgery and fight a tallish, strongish guy carefully to test it he gets slammed for not KOing him.

Boxing fans-can't live with them and can't live without them!

Comment

Cant hit the 'Like' button but a good thread lads with some interesting views and thoughts. Lets see how it plays out.

Loma might be an accomplished technician, but Linares is a proper warrior. Never rule him out of any equation lightly.

Comment

Working...
            X