Joe Smith jr vs Eleider Alvarez on 16 July!

BoztheMadman

A really good lhw fight to look forward to in a month-if it doesn't get cancelled, that is. I see how these pussies keep cancelling fights, you can never be sure. Anyway, who do you got? I think probably Alvarez wins, since his only loss is to Kovalev, but Smith has the punch and therefore can never be counted out. I think Alvarez wins on points, in a somewhat close fight. Smith got a good win in his last fight over Hart, but has lost to Bivol clearly before that. Really looking forward to it. :boxing:

I'm also siding with Alvarez. I agree Smith is always one punch away from turning a fight, but Alvarez is a level above imo and I say he stops Smith. I'd put a Smith stoppage ahead of an Alvarez points win on the list of most likely outcomes. No size advantage to speak of. Both relatively fresh - both last fought in Jan - first time either has fought twice in a calendar year in a while. Short of a world title fight, these are a matches we should be seeing. Two legit contenders where a win has some meaning.

+2 on predicting an Alvarez win.

You can't NOT like Joe Smith, but Alvarez is all sorts of skilled. I think he can stay away from Smith's somewhat simplistic power delivery system. He might even catch Smith coming in and put him down.

- but it's a GREAT fight.

Edited by Cableaddict

Short of a world title fight, these are a matches we should be seeing. Two legit contenders where a win has some meaning.

THIS!!

Good fight, also think Alvarez is just better in every department and will win within the distance but later in the fight most likely. Provided he hasn't slacked off during the crisis period.

• 2 weeks later...
This fight + Baranchyk vs Chon Zepeda were probably the best matchups in the first few weeks of fights being back. But Baranchyk's out too with a training injury. Zepeda faces Kendo Castaneda instead on Tues the 7th. Can't win for losing sometimes.

--- Something wrong with too many training camps these days.

When John L was brought back from besotted lumpery, the top physical trainer of the day, William Muldoon, did so incrementally such that JL assumed his natural form. That fight went 76-77 rds in 100 degree heat in a Mississippi pasture.

Too many trainers don't seem to understand they're preparing their guy to be in fine form for a fight, not a Mr America cross fitness contest.

• 2 years later...