Locked down, locked in, what you watching? (boxing)

repsac

Locked down, locked in, what you watching? (boxing)

Sup guys, how's everyone doing out there? I'm assuming most are quarantined at home for long periods of time, and i was wondering what have you been watching? (strictly boxing, don't mention Tiger King)

I've mostly been catching up on fights from the last year or so that i haven't watched it, or ones that i attended and never watched the broadcast. But i've also watched some older fights. Here's a list.

Bobby Chacon vs Bazooka Limon IV

Syd Vanderpool vs Tito Mendoza

Antuwn Echolds vs Richard Grant

Steve Robinson vs Jon Jo Irwin

Ray Mercer vs Bert Cooper

Pernell Whitaker vs Miguel Santana

Joe Smith vs Jesse Hart

Yuri Vaulin vs Paul Bradshaw

Jed Phipps vs Steve Griffin

Segei Artemiev vs Donald Townsend

Jorge Arce vs Juan Francisco Centeno

Yory Boy Campas vs Larry Barnes

Serguei Kobozev vs Carl Wilson

Freddie Norwood vs Vuyani Bungu

James Tillis vs Pinklon Thomas

Herbie Hide vs James Pritchard

Robert Garcia vs John John Molina

Mike McCallum vs Steve Collins

Bobby Czyz vs Willie Edwards

Jorge Paez vs Steve Cruz

What about you?

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently watched the entire pro career of Marvin Hagler, in chronological order.

OK, I cheated and some of them were highlight vids, but it was still quite something. I've never done that before.

Next I'm going to attempt to do the same with Sweet Pea.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

--- Watched 4 Hamed title fights starting with Steve Robinson, what a treat.

Watched the 1st Jose Ramirez/ Pea fight everyone claims was a robbery...NOT!

Gave Pea the first and 2-3 even, but after that he was just running, sometimes turning his back completely as he kept circling into Ramirez power left hook. Midway it looked like those body shots had him near collapse, so he added excessive grabbing to buy time for the decision.

Then I watched Camacho KD and bust up Ramirez 3 yrs earlier, and though he ran, he was delivering combos and often driving Ramirez backwards. At one point he literally walks over him. This is before the nose candy led Camacho stopped training to gain wt and looking more like early Pea.

Be a bunch more before this thing is over.

--- Watched 4 Hamed title fights starting with Steve Robinson, what a treat.

Watched the 1st Jose Ramirez/ Pea fight everyone claims was a robbery...NOT!

Gave Pea the first and 2-3 even, but after that he was just running, sometimes turning his back completely as he kept circling into Ramirez power left hook. Midway it looked like those body shots had him near collapse, so he added excessive grabbing to buy time for the decision.

Then I watched Camacho KD and bust up Ramirez 3 yrs earlier, and though he ran, he was delivering combos and often driving Ramirez backwards. At one point he literally walks over him. This is before the nose candy led Camacho stopped training to gain wt and looking more like early Pea.

Be a bunch more before this thing is over.

I'm going to rewatch this one tonight.

Going from memory, I remember thinking it wa pretty close, and kinda' boring. I think it was just too soon for Pea to be going for a title, even against such a slow-handed & basic opponent. Pea was still fighting like an amateur. Fast hands, but not committing much to his punches. Some great body work, though. Whittaker's defense was great, of course, but used up too much energy. Again, a hold-over from the ams, when you didn't have to go so many rounds.

Edited by Cableaddict

--- Been chortling over this all time baseball brawl kicked off when young stud Robin Ventura charges grizzled pitcher Nolan Ryan who put some grandpa knots on his noggin.

Actually 2 brawls in one where nfl great Bo Jackson makes his appearance!

Interesting stat compilation too.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/23-interesting-facts-about-the-nolan-ryan-robin-ventura-brawl-on-23rd-anniversary/

--- Been chortling over this all time baseball brawl kicked off when young stud Robin Ventura charges grizzled pitcher Nolan Ryan who put some grandpa knots on his noggin.

Actually 2 brawls in one where nfl great Bo Jackson makes his appearance!

Interesting stat compilation too.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/23-interesting-facts-about-the-nolan-ryan-robin-ventura-brawl-on-23rd-anniversary/

What about the Pacers-Pistons brawl that became "Pacers vs Crowd Hooligans" eventually?? That was MADNESS! :help:

Was recently rewatching Abel Ramos' come from behind last round stoppage over Perrella. Interesting to hear that Abel was sick, coughing for 2 weeks prior to the fight. I wonder if maybe he was sick with COVID-19. It was hilarious hearing Brian Kenny, Lennox and Goosen fawning over Perrella in the last round, and BOOM shit ends just like that lol.

Was recently rewatching Abel Ramos' come from behind last round stoppage over Perrella. Interesting to hear that Abel was sick, coughing for 2 weeks prior to the fight. I wonder if maybe he was sick with COVID-19. It was hilarious hearing Brian Kenny, Lennox and Goosen fawning over Perrella in the last round, and BOOM shit ends just like that lol.

--- Was that this year? Well, we all know it happens any time it feels the urge to move!

Anyway, I never tire of Hagler/Hearns war upon war, 3 rds of very underrated strategic mayhem. Hearns thug persona used to PO me back in the day enough to figure out how to break him down, but as it turned my style was dependent on Haglers all time chin. Hearns would've otherwise KOed near any great in his division that night.

--- Was that this year? Well, we all know it happens any time it feels the urge to move!

Anyway, I never tire of Hagler/Hearns war upon war, 3 rds of very underrated strategic mayhem. Hearns thug persona used to PO me back in the day enough to figure out how to break him down, but as it turned my style was dependent on Haglers all time chin. Hearns would've otherwise KOed near any great in his division that night.

Yea, took place mid February.

--- Leotis Martin vs Sonny Liston ca 1969.

Leotis had been KOed by Jimmy Ellis in a horrible beatdown, so Sonny on a torrid win/KO streak age 39 a big fav over 30 yr old Leotis. Sonny by public arrest record prob age 43-44 showed why he was the most formidable heavy of his era. Leotis hung tough and got a few shots in. Sonny after some discouragement raged back again with the end being etched in stone when Leotis stumbled him with a right to jump in with a left/rt as Sonny timbered a hard face first to the canvas.

Slimy Cosell interviewed both and the busted up Leotis was incoherent but manage to get Joe Frazier in. Sonny had been out about 2min was dejected, but next year he was dead and Leotis never fought again because the dozens of

Sonnys punches detached a retina.

Terribly tragic ending.

• Like 1

--- Leotis Martin vs Sonny Liston ca 1969.

Leotis had been KOed by Jimmy Ellis in a horrible beatdown, so Sonny on a torrid win/KO streak age 39 a big fav over 30 yr old Leotis. Sonny by public arrest record prob age 43-44 showed why he was the most formidable heavy of his era. Leotis hung tough and got a few shots in. Sonny after some discouragement raged back again with the end being etched in stone when Leotis stumbled him with a right to jump in with a left/rt as Sonny timbered a hard face first to the canvas.

Slimy Cosell interviewed both and the busted up Leotis was incoherent but manage to get Joe Frazier in. Sonny had been out about 2min was dejected, but next year he was dead and Leotis never fought again because the dozens of

Sonnys punches detached a retina.

Terribly tragic ending.

I had no idea that Liston fought until '69. Gotta' watch this one tonight.

Thx !

Yesterday I watched Kuniaki Shibata vs Ramiro Bolanos. I've had a copy of this fight from several years ago, but it was missing a few rounds. I finally was able to get a complete copy. I've been searching for this fight for about 12-13 years. So you can't imagine how thrilled i was to watch it. Such a great fight. The scorecards aren't an indication of how hard fought and competitive this fight was. It was beautifully brutal, and i loved every second of it.

Today i watched Guty Espadas Jr vs Bone Adams. Wasn't exactly a fight i would ever watch again. And Merchant was hilarious with hims criticism. lol

--- Sounds mighty exotic there reps.

Meanwhile I went back to the OK Corral shoot'em up of Angulo vs Kirkland in Cancun. Angulo in spite of fighting in America many times got nabbed and detained by American immigration bureaucracy for 6 months prior hence Cancun.

Not really in fighting shape, but a sharp counter KD had Kirk doing the drunken sailer stumbles. Got so bad the ref says, "You gotta punch James or I'll stop it," and then let's him beat up even more. I definitely would have stopped it.

Finally kirk starts swinging as Angulo is punched out and puts him down near the Bell. A Little Ring sycophant up to his eyeballs in PEDs sputtered out, "It was like Hagler/Hearns on steroids!."

Kirk stays on top the next couple as Angulo face like hamburger, but then turns kirk into a stumble bum for the next two. He was also switching to southpaw, in close, but finally ref stops in the 6th for no particular reason other than Angulo wasn't was having Visa problems and kirkand could be a rising star is my take and his face being pulped made it easy.

Blunt force brutality cubed!