Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locked down, locked in, what you watching? (boxing)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    --- Knockdown, drag out stuff with Bert Cooper.

    1st vs Michael Moorer for vacant WBO title. Moorer looks slight compared to caveman Cooper and takes to the ropes for the 1st KD.

    Cooper on a rampage gets dropped! 2nd Moorer to the ropes for mauling and 3rd the same where he drops Moorer who's losing the war of attrition. Same with the 4th and into the 5th when Moorer unleashes to drop Bert as hard as I've ever seen, back held up by lower rope that magnifies his noggin slamming the ring apron.

    Next yr the now 240lb Cooper looking like the primordial brute from hell vs Kid Corrie Sanders who replicates a southpaw Cassius Clay to tattoo Cooper. Goes mostly to the ropes for the 2nd, but in the 3rd drops Bert hard. He's up, but quits before a clean KO.

    Rockem then sockem stuff!

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by repsac View Post
      Watched a wild obscure fight. Neil Simpson vs Hastings Rasani for a vacant commonwealth title. Simpson is knocked down 3 times in the 1st round, dropped again in the 2nd round. But then drops Rasani in the 4th round twice, including a knockout. Good stuff.
      Just watched it. Yeah, very entertaining & surprising.

      But one has to wonder how Simpson, with a record of 18 -11, was fighting for a title. Even just the British Commonwealth title. Pretty ridiculous.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Cableaddict View Post

        Just watched it. Yeah, very entertaining & surprising.

        But one has to wonder how Simpson, with a record of 18 -11, was fighting for a title. Even just the British Commonwealth title. Pretty ridiculous.
        I don't pretend to know how they do the rankings.

        Watched Baby Jake Matlala vs Paul Weir I. Crazy how the commentators kept saying how if Baby Jake lost, he should retire. He went on to fight 7 more years, beat Carbajal and was rather durable in all of his remaining fights in his career.

        Comment


        • #34
          ---Emmanuel Augustus later known as the Drunken Master age 30 vs Mickey Ward age 36 in a 10 rd classic named Ring Fight of 2001.

          Seemed clubfighterish in the beginning with Ward muscling him to the ropes, but the pace thrilling non stop. The frustrated Ward finally puts him down with a short left hook to the solar plexus in the 9. Guns blazing 10th sees Smoger having to jump in for the umpteenth time arms around their necks near kissing them over such a good fight.

          Held outdoor at a New Hampshire casino in July of all places. Next yr 37 yr old Ward in Ring Fight of 2002 starting a trilogy with Gatti he retires on. Class end for a journeyman.

          Tough guy!

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
            ---Emmanuel Augustus later known as the Drunken Master age 30 vs Mickey Ward age 36 in a 10 rd classic named Ring Fight of 2001.

            Seemed clubfighterish in the beginning with Ward muscling him to the ropes, but the pace thrilling non stop. The frustrated Ward finally puts him down with a short left hook to the solar plexus in the 9. Guns blazing 10th sees Smoger having to jump in for the umpteenth time arms around their necks near kissing them over such a good fight.

            Held outdoor at a New Hampshire casino in July of all places. Next yr 37 yr old Ward in Ring Fight of 2002 starting a trilogy with Gatti he retires on. Class end for a journeyman.

            Tough guy!
            I saw that once-fuckin' amazing fight! All out, all the time!

            Comment


            • #36
              --- Boz, also noteworthy was this classic exposed the height of Compufraud that had both throwing a near equal incredible # of punches, but Augustus connect % something like 41% and Ward at something like 23%, the usual implication that Augustus had pitched a masterclass when in fact he was getting beaten down every rd.

              Mark Twain once said there are statistics, and then there are damned statistics, but damned if we don't have compuhoax statistics to beat dead horses with these days!

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
                --- Boz, also noteworthy was this classic exposed the height of Compufraud that had both throwing a near equal incredible # of punches, but Augustus connect % something like 41% and Ward at something like 23%, the usual implication that Augustus had pitched a masterclass when in fact he was getting beaten down every rd.

                Mark Twain once said there are statistics, and then there are damned statistics, but damned if we don't have compuhoax statistics to beat dead horses with these days!
                It was probably because Micky was not a name back then. Augustus had already fought Mayweather I believe and a few other bigger names. Ward had fought Judah and Vince Phillips but it was not as big as fighting Mayweather. And the Phillips fight didn't last long.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Watched Tommy Morrison vs Yuri Vaulin. Yuri was working Tommy for the first 2-3 rounds, until Tommy pounded the shit out of his body and turned over the momentum.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
                    ---Emmanuel Augustus later known as the Drunken Master age 30 vs Mickey Ward age 36 in a 10 rd classic named Ring Fight of 2001.

                    Seemed clubfighterish in the beginning with Ward muscling him to the ropes, but the pace thrilling non stop. The frustrated Ward finally puts him down with a short left hook to the solar plexus in the 9. Guns blazing 10th sees Smoger having to jump in for the umpteenth time arms around their necks near kissing them over such a good fight.

                    Held outdoor at a New Hampshire casino in July of all places. Next yr 37 yr old Ward in Ring Fight of 2002 starting a trilogy with Gatti he retires on. Class end for a journeyman.

                    Tough guy!
                    I'm not normally a big fan of low-skilled "rock 'em sock 'em" fights, no matter how frenetic. - But in this case Burton actually looked quite impressive. His defense was really something.

                    So I went and watched his earlier, LW fight with Floyd. (Never saw it before.) I expect it to be fairly competitive, but (a barely recognizable!) Floyd just took Burton apart. Someone in Burton's camp must have told him to be very aggressive and offense-minded, since he showed none of that lovely bobbing & defensive movement he had against Ward. - Big mistake.
                    Last edited by Cableaddict; 05-12-2020, 07:26 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by repsac View Post
                      Watched Tommy Morrison vs Yuri Vaulin. Yuri was working Tommy for the first 2-3 rounds, until Tommy pounded the shit out of his body and turned over the momentum.

                      Dat left hook !

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Not exactly an old, classic fight, but I just re-watched Spence vs Porter.

                        - And I'm exhausted!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          --- Clinton Woods vs Rico Hoye.

                          Hoye some Detroit swag and undefeated as a KO artist clearly stronger than milquetoast Clinton who managed to make a fight of it on the back foot.

                          3-5 rds things really heat up, but donnybrook at the end of the 5th has Rico hurt and the ref stops prematurely me thinks, but the tide had definitely turned.

                          Ring tribute includes several fights and Clinton interesting back story.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            --- Clinton Woods vs Rico Hoye.

                            Hoye some Detroit swag and undefeated as a KO artist clearly stronger than milquetoast Clinton who managed to make a fight of it on the back foot.

                            3-5 rds things really heat up, but donnybrook at the end of the 5th has Rico hurt and the ref stops prematurely me thinks, but the tide had definitely turned.

                            Ring tribute includes several fights and Clinton interesting back story.

                            https://www.ringtv.com/599534-clinto...greatest-hits/

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
                              - -Win, lose, or draw hard to beat Rocky Lockridge for value.

                              His 1st rd KO of Roger Mayweather truly epic......
                              I just watched that again for the first time in years.
                              I don't think there's ever been a fighter more exuberantly joyful after a win, than Rocky was after that fight !

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                --- Bobby Chacon last fights with Boza Edwards and Bazooka Limon, consecutive Fights of the Year.

                                Both much bigger and stronger, but Bobby took it to them in an educated fashion. The drama of ebb and flow had the crowds leaping out of their seats.

                                Little guy was beloved for it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X