R.I.P. Boxing Monthly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Boxing Monthly

--- Gonna let the great boxing hero give his condolences, another Coronavirus death knoll-

https://mobile.twitter.com/fightwrit...57643966971906

Sad day, but as boxing has lost its popularity, so has the magazine in direct line with each other. Chaps I used to work with years ago would often see a Boxing Monthly cover that took their eye of a morning when they bought their daily newspaper from a newsagents shop or news-stand to take to work with them, even though they weren't boxing 'fans', and purchase it too, for a read during breaktime. And their sons would pick it up for a read and feast over the photos in the evening and thereby gain an interest in the noble art. Not only has this 'type' of blue collar working habit died, as no one walks to work in factories anymore let alone calls at a newsagents, but sadly the casual boxing fan has too.

Maybe it even went mail order subscription based of late, I dont know (?) And boxing itself must shoulder some of the blame. The kids and the casuals want the excitement and honesty of MMA now - for its integrity in judging (if it ever gets to a decision), the fact that the best fight the best, there is no ducking and diving and swerving, or games of chess to avoid a proper scrap. And a myriad of other reasons.

RIP Boxing Monthly and as time drifts on RIP boxing, too.

Comment

I've never even seen "Boxing Monthly," but this still sucks.

Comment

Weirdly my subscription copy just arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbo View Post
          Weirdly my subscription copy just arrived.
          --- Read it and seal it in a plastic bag within a sturdy Manilla 8x11 envelope in a safe place.

Be mighty rare after this projected massive Coronavirus upheaval. Never envisioned such a massive shutdown in my life.

Comment

That's terrible news. I have the first few editions and was a regular subscriber in the early years. Kinda stopped buying magazines except once in a while, due to the internet. Always a big fan of Glynn Leach and Graham Houston.

Comment

Working...
            X