Eddie Hearn in discussions to promote Rumble in the Jungle II

The_budweiser

Promoter Eddie Hearn has been in discussions with the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) about reviving the Stade du 20 Mai in Kinshasa to host a follow-up heavyweight title fight to the Rumble in the Jungle.

Muhammad Ali famously shocked the world when he knocked out George Foreman at the venue in eight rounds to become a two-time world heavyweight champion in 1974.

https://www.ringnews24.com/2020/01/27/eddie-hearn-in-discussions-to-promote-rumble-in-the-jungle-ii/

Sure, let's encourage the Hearns' plan to assist oppressive regimes in glossing over their abysmal human rights record.

Have you even been there before or you just gobbling down what you heard from your "reliable" sources? What about the innocent blood on the hands of the US Government? Somehow that never comes up, strange that.

Sure, let's encourage the Hearns' plan to assist oppressive regimes in glossing over their abysmal human rights record.

Think this kind of shit will happen regardless of encouragement or displays of dismay. End of the day this is boxing, the down and dirty sport unashamedly continues to line the pockets of tv companies, promoters and the biggest names and if these places offer the big money to host events, they WILL happen.

Have you even been there before or you just gobbling down what you heard from your "reliable" sources? What about the innocent blood on the hands of the US Government? Somehow that never comes up, strange that.

--- Gavvy unabashly British.

I believe he mentioned his people being settled around the same village since recorded time.

"Reliable" sources like Amnesty International, the UN, Liberty and the quite open way the Saudis in particular treat their people? The United States government certainly has blood on its hands, as does the UK, but are as mere amateurs when compared to the Saudis and the leaders of military coups. The Khasoggi case alone is a perfect parallel - the US government wants Snowden in prison and living a miserable existence; the Saudis arranged for Khasoggi to be kidnapped and murdered in a foreign embassy.

So no, I've never been there, and I've never been cleaning anything when it went off.

Edited by gavpowell
  • Like 1

"Reliable" sources like Amnesty International, the UN, Liberty and the quite open way the Saudis in particular treat their people? The United States government certainly has blood on its hands, as does the UK, but are as mere amateurs when compared to the Saudis and the leaders of military coups. The Khasoggi case alone is a perfect parallel - the US government wants Snowden in prison and living a miserable existence; the Saudis arranged for Khasoggi to be kidnapped and murdered in a foreign embassy.

So no, I've never been there, and I've never been cleaning anything when it went off.

I guess what it comes down to is what one deems to be worse than another, you express that Saudi is worse than the US, some will beg to differ and if you lived in Saudi and were exposed to the media there as opposed to where you live, you'd probably have the opposite viewpoint. CNN don't bleat on about the terrible atrocities the US commit around the world but will gladly run the story if the Saudi's or Iraqi's commit the same infringements, I imagine this is the same in Saudi.

So, what we may agree on here then is anywhere the boxing is held is going to provide opportunity for criticism of some sort. My deal is Africa (and Nigeria specifically), has a legitimate claim to the world heavyweight championship, the champ is 1st gen Nigerian and they also would like an opportunity to see him in the ring just as Brits do. I don't see the UK as any more deserving to be hosts than Nigeria is what I'm saying.

I don't see the UK as any more deserving to be hosts than Nigeria is what I'm saying.

Oddly enough, I don't get my news from CNN, I get it from the sort of places I cited - the BBC is similarly useless, but there are plenty of whistleblowers, primary sources and independent monitoring bodies that give a perfectly good picture. I have, for example, criticised the idiotic behaviour of the US over Kaspersky and Huawei, but it doesn't mean China and Russia aren't guilty of massive abuses of human rights and the democratic process; if opposition leaders start getting thrown in jail or murdered in the US/UK there can be some parallel drawn, but until then it's not even close.

Nigeria is an entirely different proposition to DR Congo or Saudi - The Nigerian government is a hell of a lot better though a long way from perfect. But it's the same as Apartheid South Africa - if the government of a country is wilfully persecuting its black population, it should not be assisted in glossing over the fact because "Look over here! We've got all these big-name sports stars!"

If the Hearns want to pursue money over morals it's on them, but if the fans are prepared to see murderous regimes rewarded with cash and PR, they look rather silly whining about undeserved title shots or doctored gloves.

Boxing and morals are two things that don't belong in the same sentence. :haha:

If Eddie and AJ see the pound signs and agree to sign on the dotted line while the Saudi handlers smile and grin as they successfully nail down some lucrative "sports washing" what are boxing fans supposed to do? Just not turn up/buy the PPV as a means to take some kind of moral high ground?

I'm sure there will be some that actually do just that. But lets be real, your average boxing fan/casual couldn't give a fuck about world politics or how countries in foreign lands are ruled. They just want to see someone get their face caved in.

If Eddie and AJ see the pound signs and agree to sign on the dotted line while the Saudi handlers smile and grin as they successfully nail down some lucrative "sports washing" what are boxing fans supposed to do? Just not turn up/buy the PPV as a means to take some kind of moral high ground?

Yes.

Honestly, it's not fucking complicated - instead of sharing fucking Muhammid Ali and Jack Johnson stories while eulogising them for their courage and principles, show some of your own - it's zero risk and you've done something to try to make the world a microscopic bit better.

But it's precisely because boxing fans have no regard for their sport that we've ended up with boxing the way it is: "It's outrageous that AJ and Wilder are still dodging each other...ooh AJ's fighting David Price - I gotta get the PPV!"

I stopped being a boxing fan some time ago, and when WWE wrestlers and fans are showing more moral courage than boxing fans, there is simply no hope for the sport.

Edited by gavpowell