**SPOILER** Julian Williams vs Jeison Rosario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **SPOILER** Julian Williams vs Jeison Rosario

Making the first defence of his WBA & IBF world super-welterweight titles in his hometown of Philadelphia, Julian 'J-Rock' Williams looked to continue where he left off after an impressive performance in which he dethroned Jarrett Hurd in his hometown, in his way, 19-1-1 Jeison Rosario challenging for his first world title.

The action got off to a good start for the champion, a solid right hand in the first looked to establish the order of play, the inactive Rosario woke up in the second and started letting his hands go, I gave him the second. I then gave them each 1 of the next 2 rounds after some good action and then in the fifth round the contest came to an end and the scorecard was abandoned.

A crisp uppercut from the challenger started J-Rock rocking, his eyes glazed over and in a desperate attempt to tie up his opponent he tumbled to the canvas. Referee Esteves Jr said no knockdown but the champion maintained a kneeled position as the ref waited for him to return to his feet. Unfortunately for him there was almost 2 minutes left in the round, the action continued and the hungry Rosario jumped on Williams forcing him back onto the ropes. A few more clean punches landed and at 1:37 the veteran referee had seen enough.

I wasn't expecting this outcome at all but perhaps the shock I am feeling isn't justified, both fighters had been knocked out beforehand and Williams was an underdog in his previous fight as Rosario probably was last night though I didn't read the odds beforehand.

And NEW....

--- Don't know enough about either to pick em out of a police line up, so belt turnover is good in that makes the division hungry for opportunity .

Comment

The damage was done in the second round - a clear round for Banana - when he opened up an old eyelid scar tissue cut to the left eye. The writing was on the wall from then onwards. A clear case of the piss-poor PBC management overlooking Rosario as an easy defence.

Viewing figures not quite as high as for J.Rock-Hurd which peaked at 1.6m. This was nearer 1.45m - still good though.

A few thumbnails from stills from my capp in the Downloads section. Single left click to enlarge.

Comment

Amazing upset, but we knew so little about "Banana". He sounded very confident before the fight, but don't they all? Great victory for him and can't wait to see him in more fights.

Comment

It looks like a legit & well-earned win. Very exciting for the division.

& I'm trying SO hard not to post any "banana" jokes.....

Comment

Working...
          X