Thought's on Jaron Ennis? *SPOILER*

WelshDevilRob

America has a welterweight prospect called Jaron Ennis. The 22-year-old from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, has a record of 25-0, 23 KOs.

Last night on Showtime/Boxnation he beat brawler Bakhtiyar Eyubov. It was an entertaining fight that was stopped in the 4th.

Ennis moves well, looks to defend when he needs to, has power and works the body.

Have you seen him and what are your thoughts on him?

He looks pretty classy to me, but then there have been many brilliant looking prospects down the line who seem to fade when they step up in class and match with someone who can take their shots.

Definitely one to keep an eye on though, he has a really friendly style and is fun to watch.

Credit to Eyubov for gritting it out for those 4 rounds, he took an absolute hammering in there.

I've been watching him for some years on the Shobox The New Generation cards (majority of them get posted). He has steadily improved under his father's tutelage, but isn't massively accurate and wastes a lot of energy. I wouldn't want to see him in a world title shot anytime this year unless he drops his father and moves on to a real trainer.

Coming from PA helps but when push comes to shove, you need a good deal more than a birth certificate. I like him though (as a mid term prospect).

Edited by Cableaddict

I've been watching him for some years on the Shobox The New Generation cards (majority of them get posted). He has steadily improved under his father's tutelage, but isn't massively accurate and wastes a lot of energy. I wouldn't want to see him in a world title shot anytime this year unless he drops his father and moves on to a real trainer.

I agree it's time for a new trainer. Ennis won this fight off of his natural gifts, not due to any finely-honed technique.

This was his first REALLY tough opponent (he's been fighting way too many no-hopers) and it really showed. Not to disparage the very game Eyubov, but Ennis took way too many flush shots from him. Ennis does NOT have "1 punch" power, so he'd better tighten up his defense fast.

- And with those crazy-long arms, and that HUGE ring, what the heck was he doing trading on the inside? He was so close, he gave up leverage. WTF is wrong with his corner?

Also, while Ennis has a good gas tank & is aggressive as heck, his offense seems a bit 1-dimensional. Not much (any) side movement. No changeup in hi punch speed. He does go to the body well, thoug, which certainly helps.

Clearly a hugely-gifted work in progress. I think with proper training, he could eventually develop into a world class SWW or MW.

• Like 1

Not to disparage the very game Eyubov, but Ennis took way too many flush shots from him. Ennis does NOT have "1 punch" power, so he'd better tighten up his defense fast.

- And with those crazy-long arms, and that HUGE ring, what the heck was he doing trading on the inside? He was so close, he gave up leverage. WTF is wrong with his corner?

You see this a LOT in these kinds of match ups, where the hot prospect is in with an overmatched opponent and they kind of just know early on that the opponent doesn't have the power to truly worry them. Not fighting the perfect fight and getting into a bit of a tear up. It happens but I guess they assess the risk early on and know they will come through it. When he is in with someone more dangerous I would expect a different tactic to happen.

• Like 1

You see this a LOT in these kinds of match ups, where the hot prospect is in with an overmatched opponent and they kind of just know early on that the opponent doesn't have the power to truly worry them. Not fighting the perfect fight and getting into a bit of a tear up. It happens but I guess they assess the risk early on and know they will come through it. When he is in with someone more dangerous I would expect a different tactic to happen.

Good point.

It's funny, I have been a HUGE Ennis fan in the past, even comparing his offense to almost that of a prime RJJ. (albeit against far lesser opposition.)

- But in this fight we saw almost none of that playfulness, that footwork, or those obtuse angles.

Maybe Eyubov's aggressiveness made it hard for Ennis to think, and so Ennis resorted to his primal instincts.

Regardless, it was not really an impressive victory.

Still, I think Ennis is the goods, if he gets the right training.

• Like 1

Good point.

It's funny, I have been a HUGE Ennis fan in the past, even comparing his offense to almost that of a prime RJJ. (albeit against far lesser opposition.)

- But in this fight we saw almost none of that playfulness, that footwork, or those obtuse angles.

Maybe Eyubov's aggressiveness made it hard for Ennis to think, and so Ennis resorted to his primal instincts.

Regardless, it was not really an impressive victory.

Still, I think Ennis is the goods, if he gets the right training.

Agree with almost all of this. He took a few shots that might make you worry going forward, but that was after a dominant first round where he probably judged that his opponent couldn't hurt him, as Ton says. It seemed to me a classic case of a prospect having a preconceived notion of what makes an impressive performance - overwhelming and stopping his opponent - which deviates a bit from what some boxing fans/pundits/trainers would be looking for - boxing technique and acumen that would take the prospect to the very highest levels of the sport.

One thing that makes me worry a bit less is that when he was switched on in the first round his reflexes and ability to see punches coming seemed a lot better than the next couple of rounds. I can only think he had just concluded that he could afford to focus first and foremost on knocking the opponent out and not worry about what was coming back.

Agree with almost all of this. He took a few shots that might make you worry going forward, but that was after a dominant first round where he probably judged that his opponent couldn't hurt him, as Ton says. It seemed to me a classic case of a prospect having a preconceived notion of what makes an impressive performance - overwhelming and stopping his opponent - which deviates a bit from what some boxing fans/pundits/trainers would be looking for - boxing technique and acumen that would take the prospect to the very highest levels of the sport.

One thing that makes me worry a bit less is that when he was switched on in the first round his reflexes and ability to see punches coming seemed a lot better than the next couple of rounds. I can only think he had just concluded that he could afford to focus first and foremost on knocking the opponent out and not worry about what was coming back.

Perfectly put.

He's definitely one to keep a close eye on for sure.

• 1 year later...

Jeez, he's still only 24 y-o? That's surprising, somehow.

Well then ........... excellent !

And you guys were right. He looked crisp and motivated against Abreu, and against vs Lipinets. A bit less playful than in days past, but that's a good thing.

I would LOVE to see Ennis fight Crawford. (A fight that will probably happen at some point, unless Crawford retires first.) They have such similar styles, both lightning fast, both deadly switch-hitters.

Oh baby, what a fight that would (will) be.

Edited by Cableaddict

Jeez, he's still only 24 y-o? That's surprising, somehow.

Well then ........... excellent !

And you guys were right. He looked crisp and motivated against Abreu, and against vs Lipinets. A bit less playful than in days past, but that's a good thing.

I would LOVE to see Ennis fight Crawford. (A fight that will probably happen at some point, unless Crawford retires first.) They have such similar styles, both lightning fast, both deadly switch-hitters.

Oh baby, what a fight that would (will) be.

- -Prob not enough $ in a fight like that. Bootsie picked a bad ring name for excitement, and his comp has been C and B- a bit like Plant who recently went splotto(e) like a tomato(e) on showtime.

See where I'm going with this, Cable