*****SPOILERS-Tank Davis vs Yuri Gamboa

LondonRingRules

--- If that was PPV, I'd ask for my $$$ back.

Showtime vid work horrible as the close ups lost all the action occurring.

Gamboa on a bum leg gave Tank all he could handle, but kept getting dropped. As he got dragged in the later rds, Tank was fragile, prob a combo of gassed and hurt, but aside from taking Tank down in a scrum, Gamboa admired his work too much and on his butt for the 3rd x in the 12th. He was never hurt in the KDs, but Reiss waved it off, possibly because his Cubanos entered the ring to force the stoppage.

Could be since Boner KOed Tank in a drunken brawl, he ain't the same fighter. First time watch for me and he was lucky that was an old, injured Gamboa in there.

Seems Pascal wins a very unsteady gift SD over Jack. They traded KDs, but Pascal was the one hurt and dropping late rds based on public commentary. Never liked watching him and haven't bothered doing so in a while.

Nice card to finish off the year, the co-main was a cracker but on the first fight of the TV card we got to see Uzcateui suffer another defeat this time to a 168lb debutant over 10, I can't remeber his first name but I know his surname isn't Davis (Jimmy Lennon Jr mistakenly introduced him as such and that got him and his team a little vocal lol).

I didn't expect Gamboa to go 11 rounds at all, his age and lack of punch resistance had me thinking this would be over in 6 but he did well especially since he ruptured his achilles tendon in the 2nd round. When I heard him telling his team he can't go on I put my pen and paper down waiting for the annnouncement of a Rd 2 TKO win for Davis (since his fellow Cubans usually just call it quits) but to my pleasant surprise he battled on.

But the fight of the night was Jean Pascal's 1st defense of his light-heavyweight title, it looked to me early on that Jack wasn't strong enough and would be stopped at some point but after he got dropped he seemed to wake up. Jack's usual cutman Russ Amber was replaced by Jacob Duran, apparently Amber withdrew from the corner for this fight as he is close to Pascal, that's a strange old excuse I thought especially since he wasn't in Pascal's corner either, he's just a cutman :noidea: The fighters were not present at the post-fight press conference, in fact, Davis was the only one that did attend for some reason but Mayweather Promotions' CEO was there of course and he was going on about he thought Jack won and that he can't seem to get a fair shake from the judges. I'm not of that thinking because I don't recall Jack being robbed or being hard done by on any scorecards apart from the Bute one where I thought he won that handily but other than that I had Pascal a point wider than the 2 judges who gave it to him did, Degale by a point and Stevenson by a point. To be fair Jack wasn't shouting robbery himself, when asked he said he thought he won but that maybe it's himself he needs to look at rather than blaming the judges every time (not in so many words but that was the gist of it)

Apparently Davis was given 2 hours to make weight when the rules state that a fighter is only allowed half that, anyone know more about this?

Really enjoyed the Pascal-Jack fight. Looked early doors that Pascal might have been able to force a stoppage, but he slowed a bit and Jack began boxing and took some control. It was a real close fight. I personally called it a draw. The Fight Score consensus called it s win for Jack by a couple rounds. Full fight analysis as per Fightnight Scores users' data input can be found here including a new metric for each round:- winning margin % BAhxKGj.png

--- This was Tanks move up division, and in case you've been MIA over weight issues, one of the orchestrated dramas is coming in well over the limit to later return for the drama of making the weight after discarding personal items and springing a leak.

Tank made wt easily, but who wants to watch him? Not I based on what I saw, but I'd watch Loma rearrange him for amusement.

Here's what I don't understand: Davis missed weight by a mile, so why did he win the belt?

As far as Pascal getting a gift decision, well that's not exactly a big surprise, now is it?

Oh, and @undefeated: Not a big deal, but it's "Russ Anber" with an "N".

How exactly was it a gift decision Cable? It was a good, close fight and quite a few of the rounds could have gone either way.

It's hardly like Pascal is some up and comer so they need to ensure he keeps up his winning record is it? Infact isn't Jack part of Mayweathers stable and friends? Surely he's the one who is on the side of the powers? :wave:

--- This was Tanks move up division, and in case you've been MIA over weight issues, one of the orchestrated dramas is coming in well over the limit to later return for the drama of making the weight after discarding personal items and springing a leak. .

Thx, I didn't realize that.

I was going by what the commentators said. (I shoulda' known betta' ! )

Thx, I didn't realize that.

I was going by what the commentators said. (I shoulda' known betta' ! )

Well no, you were technically right, he came in almost 2lbs over the limit and the only reason he subsequently made weight AND qualified to fight for the title is because special allowances were made for Floyd's pupil. The WBA gave him an extra hour to make weight, it's BS, no one else gets that courtesy, the rules state that the fighter has 1 hour to re-weigh but Tank got 2 hours, the belt should be vacant right now.

Tank gassed after 5 rounds, looked awful for the weight. Serious re-think needed by TMT to decide if moving him up was actually the correct move. TBE obviously did some smoothing over of the rules with his cheque book over the 2 hour malarkey.

Gamblower just about washed up now in a weight class that is too high for him, too. Ridiculous situation in his corner with no one knowing - or caring - whether there was an Achilles injury or a duff boot....

Pascal never been easy on the eye but there was no robbery as the fight was too close. It can't be a 'robbery' unless its wide and goes the wrong way.

I have refused to watch Uzcategui since the Dirrell fight fiasco.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Addendum (2020-01-02)

Former unified world champion Yuriorkis Gamboa will avoid surgery for an injured Achilles tendon that he suffered in last Saturday's TKO defeat at the hands of Gervonta Davis.

Gamboa suffered the injury in the second round, which may have happened after he was knocked down. He was dropped two more times as the contest went along, before the fight was waved off in the twelfth round at the State Farm Arena in Atlanta. The vacant WBA "regular" lightweight title was at stake.

According to reporter George Ebro, Gamboa was medically evaluated and will not require surgery to repair his existing injury.

The boxer has already begun an aggressive rehabilitation plan that could take up to three months before returning to training to continue his career at 135 pounds.

"Thank you so much to my fans who supported me for this fight against Davis. Unfortunately I tore the Achilles tendon in the second round, but I still stayed in there to fight and win the fight," stated Gamboa. "Now to recover and move on."

Gamboa had feared that surgery would be required, which at his age could prolonged any attempt to return for a far more extended period of time.

After arriving Sunday in Miami, Gamboa was transferred to Baptist Hospital where he was tested for everything, including an MRI exam on Monday to determine the extent of the injury.

(Source: Elisinio Castillo)

Which requires the statement - you have NOT ruptured or 'torn' your Achilles you lying little shit !!