8 members have voted

1. 1. 2019 Boxing Roundup and End of Year Polls

• Inoue vs Donaire
    • Prograis vs Taylor
    • Spence Jr vs Porter
    • Thurman vs Pacquaio
    • Hurd vs Williams
    • Joshua vs Ruiz Jr I

Hello everyone, hope you all had a good winter holiday.

What a great year of boxing we’ve had where to start?

How about on June 1st at MSG where we witnessed 24-1 underdog Andy Ruiz Jr upset the previously undefeated and unified world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua with a 7th round TKO victory. Jose Ramirez and Maurice Hooker put their straps on the line in a super-lightweight unification showdown which saw Ramirez take the spoils in an exciting clash which ended when the referee stepped in. Two more unified champions were born with the conclusion of the World Boxing Super Series’ at 140lb and 118lb which saw #2 seed Josh Taylor and #1 seed Naoya Inoue in FOTY candidates when they contested the finals in London and Tokyo respectively or how about Saul Alvarez becoming a 4-division world champion after stopping Sergey Kovalev up at 175! I couldn't end without mentioning the ladies, Katie Taylor took on Delfine Persoon in a mouthwatering clash for the undisputed world lightweight title on the Joshua vs Ruiz Jr I undercard in New York in what was fight of the night for me, great action but disappointment for the Belgian who lost her WBC crown to the Irishwoman after a razor thin majority decision went against her. Back in the USA Shakur Stevenson, Devin Haney and Teofimo Lopez all realised their dream of becoming world champion so congratulations to those young warriros, a bright 2020 for them all is expected.

Below world level we’ve seen Dereck Chisora chin David Price, Scott Fitzgerald beat both Fowler and Cheeseman (what a great year for him) and Oleksandr Usyk make his successful heavyweight debut.

Retirement for former Bantamweight champion Ryan Burnett and Flyweight champion Nicola Adams following injury and induction into the IBHOF for former middleweight king Bernard Hopkins and former super-welterweight champ Christy Martin.

But it hasn’t all been rosy in the sport, we’ve sadly had to say goodbye to junior middleweight contender Patrick Day at the tender age of just 27 years, Connor Law at just 26, and 28 year old Maxim Dadashev also passed away this year (excuse me for not capturing everyone). We of course all wish Errol Spence Jr a speedy recovery also after his horrific car accident.

And now for the poll. Like last year I'll put FOTY to the vote and the others as questions for you all as I can only make one poll per thread (voting closes at 23:55 on Jan 3rd)

A) Fighter of the year? (Ideas: Canelo, Wilder, J. Taylor)

B) Young fighter of the year? (Ideas: Dubois, Haney, Lopez)

C) KO of the year? (Ideas: Wilder vs Ortiz II, Wilder vs Breazeale, Canelo vs Kovalev)

D) Upset of the year? (Ideas: Joshua vs Ruiz Jr I, Tete vs Casimero, Hurd vs Williams)

E) Robbery of the year? (Ideas: Smith vs Ryder, Taylor vs Persoon,)

F) Prospect of the year? (Ideas: Filip Hrgovic, Daniel Dubois, Archie Sharp)

G) Trainer of the year? (Ideas: Shane McGuigan, Brian McIntyre aka Bomac, Joe Gallagher)

H) Promoter of the year? (Ideas: Matchroom Sports, Top Rank, Sauerland Events)

I) And finally your P4P top ten please (or top five)

Thanks for taking part.

Edited by Undefeated
  • Like 1

--- I can't quote you on my current system

-Fighter of the year-Canelo

- Ko of the year-either Andy/Josh 1 or Canelo/Kov or Teofima Lopez/Commey

-Trainer Eddy Reynosa

-Rd Andy/Josh where they exchanged their first 3 KDs.

-Fight of the year Spence/Porter or Manny/Thurman

- Fighter of the decade hands down Senator Manny where he set Ring p4p records never to be broken all while serving as an elected congressman in the Philippines.

• Like 1

- Fighter of the decade .

I didn't see that on Undefeated's question list unless I'm missing something ? Or are you just hijacking his Poll to give Manny's ass another lick, LRR ?

And by the way, the unbeaten TBE is the Fighter of the Decade or have you airbrushed the total shut-out of 118-110, 116-112, 116-112 vs Pacroid from history, too ? The loser of (possibly if it had been 2yrs previous) the biggest fight of the decade - by definition - can't be the Fighter of the Decade.

A) Fighter of the year? Canelo for the 3 belt MW unification vs Danny J and then stepping up 2 weight divisions to fill Kovalev in.

B) Young fighter of the year? DDD because at 22, he is still young in modern day terms.

C) KO of the year? Wilder vs Ortiz II

D) Upset of the year? Hurd vs J.Rock

E) Robbery of the year? 1. Smith vs Ryder, 2. KT Taylor vs Persoon 3. KT Taylor vs Linardatou

F) Prospect of the year? Vergil Ortiz Jr

G) Trainer of the year? Manny Robles simply (but utterly) for the AJ-Ruiz I fight - they definitely had a plan, and a plan which was well executed and which paid off - even though AJ was out of sorts pre-fight and Eddie Sperm should have called it off.

H) Promoter of the year? Uncle Bob, by a country mile

Selij Special Award - How many times you can say 'the fast hands of Ruiz' when referring to Andy Ruiz over 2 fights - Adam Smith (Sky Sports commentator) - absolute fucking embarrassment.

** No P4P list from me - it just degenerates into a 'Fave Fighters' fiasco because no one adheres to the original definition.

• Like 2

A) Fighter of the year

Saul Alvarez

B) Young fighter of the year

Devin Haney

C) KO of the year

HANEY vs Moran

D) Upset of the year

Joshua vs RUIZ Jr I

E) Robbery of the year

TAYLOR vs Persoon

F) Prospect of the year

Archie Sharp

G) Trainer of the year

Eddy Reynosa

H) Promoter of the year

Eddie Hearn for Matchroom

I) And finally your P4P top ten please (or top five)

Saul Alvarez

Terence Crawford

Vasyl Lomachenko

Naoya Inoue

Oleksandr Usyk

Manny Pacquaio

Errol Spence Jr

Gennady Golovkin

John Riel Casimero

Juan Estrada

FOTY:

I can't vote, as my first three pics aren't on your list. But so many great fights in 2019.....

Also, I missed a lot of fights, as my work schedule was brutal, but regardless here's my list, sort of in order:

---------------------------------------------------------

#1: Sergey Kovalev vs Anthony Yarde.

Both men threw a ton, and Kovalev was in big trouble in the middle, but came back and dominated.

Josh Warrington vs Kid Galahad

- EXCELLENT FIGHT ! Very close, and tons of skilled action.

Julio Cesar Martinez vs Cristofer Rosales, for vacant WBC flywt title

Insanely high action, & both men took a lot of punishment.

Martinez clearly started to take over in the final few rounds, otherwise this would be my #1 pick.

Errol Spence Jr. vs Shawn Porter

- ROUND 4 - ROUND OF THE YEAR !

Prograis vs Taylor.

Jamie Munguia vs Takeshi Inoue

Inoue was in Mungui’s face all night! He genuinely lost almost every round, but every round was hugely competitive * action packed.

Willie Monroe Jr. vs Hugo Centeno Jr

- A close, exciting fight. Good decision.

Tony Harrison vs Jermell Charlo, (The rematch)

- A VERY CLOSE FIGHT. Tons of action, though mostly on the inside, so not too flashy.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

UPSET OF THE YEAR:

Ruiz Jr vs AJ, of course.

------------------------------

RUNNERS UP:

Caleb Plant UD’s Jose Uzcategui

Pablo Cesar Cano, TKO’s Jorge Linares,

Andrew Cancio TKO’s Alberto Machado

Julian Williams UD’s Jarrett Hurd

================================================== =================

ROBBERY OF THE YEAR:

It was a very good year for fans of boxing corruption. These are just some highlights:

#1: Katie Taylor gets a BS DECISION over Delfine Persoon,

Every single commentator & boxer at ringside had it clearly for Persoon, who gave a gutsy & relentless performance, teeing off on Taylor's face all night.

-------------------------

RUNNERS UP:

Gennady Golovkin UD’s Sergiy Derevyanchenko for vacant IBF MW title

- IMO Sergiy CLEARLY won by a few rounds, but 2 judges had it 115 - 112. This is what happens when you have a long-term contract with DAZN

Kubrat Pulev “TKO’s” Bogdan Dinu, 10 rounds, HW

- Pulev just signed with Top Rank, so of course the fix was in, once again.

Pulev was dirty as Hell! fouls all over, and constant rabbit punches. The final flurry was ALL rabbit punches, plus a shot after Dinu was down.

### This fight was officially challenged by Team Dinu, but of course they don’t have the juice to go up against Frank Warren. Dinu gets fucked again.

Demetrius Andrade “TKO’s” Artur Akavov, for Andrade's WBO MW title

Andrade won, and looked pretty good, but

THE STOPPAGE BY ARTHUR MERCANTE WAS DISGUSTINGLY WRONG! TOTAL CORRUPTION! - Even the commentators were stunned.

Only 30 seconds to go, and Akavov wasn’t even slightly hurt. He hadn’t even taken a serious punch in the entire round!

Gabriel Flores Jr. UD’s. Salvador Briseno - LW

I thought Briceno clearly won. (though not by much.) Briceno was the aggressor for every round, and landed by far the harder shots. Flores just played it safe off the back foot, and missed most of his punches, but he’s the new golden boy, so……

The cards: 79-73, 78-74, 78-74. Mr. Magoo & Stevie Wonder could have done better.

================================================== ========================

PROSPECT / YOUNG:

As always, how do you define a “prospect?” This year I’ll make it 15 fights, max

#1: Teofimo Lopez (LW - 15 fights but only 22 y-o)

Sure, he just won the IBF LW title, but up until last month he was still a prospect, so he gets my vote for 2019.

Four wins this year, over very tough opponents, with three KO’s and one total domination.

LOPEZ IS A FUTURE SUPERSTAR ! Heck, I guess he's already there.

#2: Vergil Ortiz Jr. (WW - 15 fights but only 21y-o)

Also four wins in 2019, & all KO’s, but I think Lopez faced tougher opposition.

-----------------------------------

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

Israil Madrimov ( JMW. 4 fights / 24 y-o. )

Three wins via KO in 2019, against very credible opponents.

Madrimov Looks like Golovkin, but moves a lot more. Keep an eye on this guy!

Sonny Conto HW. 5-0 / 23 y-o)

5 fights / wins in 2019, four via KO.

He hasn’t faced any real opposition yet, but Conto looks fantastic. WHAT A JAB !

----------------

“SORT-OF” PROSPECTS:

Tramaine Williams (SBW. 19 fights / 27 y-o.)

Maybe not a prospect any longer, but this guy deserves a shout anyway, as he had 4 wins this year, despite having very little power. Skills like crazy.

Williams could be the new Sweat Pea.

Martin Bakole. (HW. 15-1, 27 y-o.)

Another prospect entering journeyman-hood. After his loss to the very underrated Michal Hunter, Bakole (My favorite HW prospect) has come back, with four straight KO’s in 2019. Not the stiffest of competition, but Taking out both Wach and Kingpin makes a statement.

================================================== =

TRAINER OF THE YEAR: Buddy McGirt.

His work with Kovalev, after Kovalev lost to Alaarez in their first fight, is incredibly impressive. - Especially since Kovalev is known to be stubborn and not easy to train.

In Kovalev - Eleider Alvarez II , McGirt got hm to jab & box more, not go for the kill, and it allowed Kovalev to dominate. I thought he won every round.

In Kovalev - Anthony Yarde. - Even under intense pressure from Yarde, Kovaleve kept his cool and didn’t revert back to his old style. He survived big trouble in the middle, but came back and dominated.

Even in the loss to Canelo, Kovalev looked good. Canelo has simply risen to a new level.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

And of course, my own personal categories:

TOTAL DOMINATION / HUMILIATION OF THE YEAR:

1: Manny Pacquiao UD’s Adrien Broner,

- Even more satisfying than the Maidana fight!

Broner barely landed a single power punch.

2: Juan Estrada UD’s Srisaket Sor Rungvisai - (REMATCH.)

Strada won every round, and it wasn’t even close!

TOTAL LETDOWN OF THE YEAR:

Alvarez - Jacobs.

Those guys shouldn’t have even been paid.

Michael Hunter vs Alexander Povetkin.

What should have been a crowd-pleasing fight, and a major step for either man, turned out to be a boring clinch-fest.

MOST IMPRESSIVE USE OF PEDS ( OF THE YEAR: )

Pac vs Thurman.

FAT FUCK OF THE YEAR: ( FFOTY )

A 3-way tie between Ruiz Jr, Jermaine Franklin, and Nathan Gorman.

If these three guys all walked into a KFC at the same time, they’d have to shut the place down.

================================================== ==================

SHIT REFEREE OF THE YEAR:

ROBERT BYRD.

He basically ruined Briedis - Glowacki.

Blatant rabbit punch by Glow, then AN ELBOW by Breidis, and no penalties. then later on, Byrd failed to hear the bell, and let a round go for an extra 30 seconds, at which point Glow got KD’'d, and then never recovered.

------------

Runner up, but only because it was likely outright corruption, whereas Byrd MIGHT just be a fool:

ARTHUR MERCANTE - stopping Andrade vs Artur Akavov, with only 30 seconds to go,. (See "Total Corruption" above.)

Edited by Cableaddict

@Cableaddict which Cancio fight is that in your upset of the year list? My brain is having trouble recalling what took place in early 2019 apart from Cancio being relieved of his title at the end of the year. A:so, there's a big omission/oversight on your part I'm sure (unless I've missed it) but who is your 2019 fighter of the year?

@Cableaddict which Cancio fight is that in your upset of the year list? My brain is having trouble recalling what took place in early 2019 apart from Cancio being relieved of his title at the end of the year. A:so, there's a big omission/oversight on your part I'm sure (unless I've missed it) but who is your 2019 fighter of the year?

The first one, of course. (In Feb, I think?) Dat body work .......

Cancio did it again in the rematch, but by then it was no surprise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOTY? I guess it has to be Canelo. I'm tempted to say Lopez, but Canelo is much more high profile right now, so that counts.

The first one, of course. (In Feb, I think?) Dat body work .......

Cancio did it again in the rematch, but by then it was no surprise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOTY? I guess it has to be Canelo. I'm tempted to say Lopez, but Canelo is much more high profile right now, so that counts.

Thought so but damn that was in 2019?? Well then that's up there for sure, if not for Ruiz Jr upsetting AJ I'm sure it would have been harder for us all to decide on the winner of that category. I know Cancio is a part-time boxer so I guess that's why he was out 3 times in 2019, pity as he'd still be champ if he only fought twice like other champs.

That's all of us picking Canelo this year then, only LRR picked him last year, you had Fury and I had Whyte and Selij didn't post but when it's unanimous it's easy

We need to get more participants in this. Hang fire with the final results mate and I'll send a mass PM out.

I've extended the poll deadline then so perhaps we'll get a few more in over the weekend when people get back from their hols etc. Feel free to extend it further as you see fit, I'll sum up once it expires

• Like 1

A) Fighter of the year Canelo

B) Young fighter of the year Teofimo

C) KO of the year Canelo vs Kovalev

D) Upset of the year Ruiz > AJ

E) Robbery of the year Potapov vs Greer

F) Prospect of the year Vergil Ortiz

G) Trainer of the year Chepo Reynoso

H) Promoter of the year PBC

I) P4P top five Inoue, Canelo, Loma, Spence, Beterbiev

• Like 2

A) Fighter of the year? Canelo

B) Young fighter of the year? Dubois

C) KO of the year? Wilder vs Ortiz II

D) Upset of the year? Joshua vs Ruiz Jr

E) Robbery of the year? Smith vs Ryder

F) Prospect of the year? Daniel Dubois

There's mine

• Like 3

So here’s my response to the actual poll, nice & condensed.

- Although I totally do not understand the difference between “prospect” & “young.” I’ll just give one each to my top 2 guys.

It should also be noted that there’s no FIGHT of the year in this poll, which is odd to say the least.

———————————————————

B) Young fighter of the year? Teofimo Lopez

C) KO of the year? Canelo vs Kovalev

D) Upset of the year? Ruiz Jr vs Joshua

E) Robbery of the year? Taylor vs Persoon

F) Prospect of the year? Vergil Ortiz, Jr.

G) Trainer of the year? Buddy McGirt

H) Promoter of the year? I don’t particularly care.

P4P: I don’t play that.

• Like 2

So here’s my response to the actual poll, nice & condensed.

- Although I totally do not understand the difference between “prospect” & “young.” I’ll just give one each to my top 2 guys.

It should also be noted that there’s no FIGHT of the year in this poll, which is odd to say the least.

———————————————————

B) Young fighter of the year? Teofimo Lopez

C) KO of the year? Canelo vs Kovalev

D) Upset of the year? Ruiz Jr vs Joshua

E) Robbery of the year? Taylor vs Persoon

F) Prospect of the year? Vergil Ortiz, Jr.

G) Trainer of the year? Buddy McGirt

H) Promoter of the year? I don’t particularly care.

P4P: I don’t play that.

The difference between young & propsect I would say is quite aptly seen by your picks for each category. World champion Lopez surely wouldn't qualify as being a prospect but of course he's young so slots right in where you put him.

The reason fight of the year isn't in the list is because it is the poll question (where voting is taking place) but maybe next year I will make the poll question fighter of the year and do fight of the year in the list of questions since it's probably easier to agree the shortlist for the fighter of the year than it is for fight of the year though I guess it all depends on what kind of year we have eh :noidea:

• Like 2

A) Fighter of the year - Canelo

B) Young fighter of the year - Daniel Dubois

C) KO of the year - Wilder vs Ortiz 2

D) Upset of the year - Josh vs Ruiz Jr 1

E) Robbery of the year - Taylor vs Persoon

F) Prospect of the year - Daniel Dubois

G) Trainer of the year

H) Promoter of the year - Eddie Hearn

• Like 2

The poll has closed and the results are in as voted by you (and me).

Category Winner Vote Share [TABLE=border: 1, cellpadding: 1]

[TR]

[TD]Fighter of the Year[/TD]

[TD]Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez[/TD]

[TD]100%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Young Fighter of the Year[/TD]

[TD]Daniel 'Dynamite' Dubois[/TD]

[TD]43%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Knockout of the Year[/TD]

[TD]WILDER vs Ortiz II[/TD]

[TD]50%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Upset of the Year[/TD]

[TD]Joshua vs RUIZ Jr I[/TD]

[TD]83%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Robbery of the Year[/TD]

[TD]Taylor vs Persoon[/TD]

[TD]60%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Prospect of the Year[/TD]

[TD]Vergil Ortiz Jr[/TD]

[TD]50%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Trainer of the Year[/TD]

[TD]Eddy & Chepo Reynoso[/TD]

[TD]60%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Promoter of the Year[/TD]

[TD]Matchroom Sports/USA - Eddie Hearn[/TD]

[TD]50%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2019 Fight of the Year[/TD]

[TD]No Overall Majority: 3-Way Tie[/TD]

[TD]N/A[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thanks to everyone who took part and here's hoping for a great 2020 of boxing :combo:

• Like 1