[SPOILERS from December 7] It's Fight Week!! Andy Ruiz Jr vs Anthony Joshua II

Undefeated

Andy Ruiz Jr will make the first defence of his WBA, WBO & IBF World Heavyweight Titles in Saudi Arabia as he takes on Anthony Joshua in a mega rematch on Saturday night (live on Sky Sports Box Office in the United Kingdom and DAZN worldwide).

The 'Destroyer' (and 12-1 underdog) dethroned Joshua earlier this year with a 7th round TKO victory, sending shockwaves across the boxing world. So, gentlemen, let's get into it!

Personally, I absolutely cannot wait for this one, looking forward to this more than Christmas itself. Will it be repeat or revenge?

UK viewers, will you succumb to the price increase slapped on the event by Sky Boxing and purchase the PPV at the new £24.95 price? I last bought a PPV when Joshua took on Klitschko, I was ready to break that drought and buy this rematch until I realised that we were being asked to make up the difference for the £9.99 KSI vs Paul fight. I feel slighted by the move so I won't be buying it but will you?

How about the undercard? Featuring heavyweight clashes such as Michael Hunter vs Alexander Pedvetkin and Pillian Whyte vs Mariusz Wach, any of those take your fancy?

But most importantly, can Andy Ruiz Jr retain his world titles in Saudi? It's often said that you're not a world champion until you've made a successful first defence, was Joshua not at the races the first time around or has Ruiz Jr got his number?

From the top of my head here are some heavyweight rematches that have gone the same way

HOLYFIELD vs Tyson II

BELLEW vs Haye II

FURY vs Chisora II

And some where revenge was sweet

HOLYFIELD vs Bowe II

LEWIS vs Rahman II

LEWIS vs McCall II

Joshua currently slight favourite with the bookmaker's but I expect that will shift during the week.

I'll go on the record (again) by predicting Ruiz Jr to retain his titles and do so inside the distance.

• Like 1

I can afford it but I'm not paying £25 on principle. As for the fight I'm going with Ruiz with reservations. He won conclusively (and concussively) last time but that wasn't the Joshua who brawled his was past Klit and Whyte. If he's prepared better and done the hard gym miles he didn't last time round then he can win. The whispers I heard from a source in Matchroom was he seriously took his foot off the gas when Fat Andy was rolled in as a replacement.
  • Like 2

--- Selj says he was KOed in sparring 2 weeks before the fight.

My hackles raised in his distractions of fans and security all wanting a piece of this great, accommodating Colossus in the ring walk. And then seeing Al Haymon stooge, Sam Watson on the Andy team when he'd been with arum since inception.

Putting numbers on the fight, I'd say 80-20 Jos with Andy putting up a good fight that he obviously did Now it's 50-50.

• Like 1

It's official, Luis Pabon will be the third man in the ring on Saturday night.

If Joshua elects to jab and grab his way through the fight will he be forgiven? Matchroom and Sky Sports Boxing pretty much have everything riding on a Joshua victory, anything less and that's it for their PPV platform, AJ's the only PPV attraction in the whole Matchroom stable, this is it!

If Joshua loses again is he done?

It's official, Luis Pabon will be the third man in the ring on Saturday night.

If Joshua elects to jab and grab his way through the fight will he be forgiven?

Tried & true ! Sigh ........

But Andy's the champ. Surely he has a say in who gets to be the ref.

Is it possible team Ruiz has never seen Wlad-Povetkin?

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

Hold on now -

Pabon has seemingly been in Al Haymon's pocket for the last few years. (Hence the outrageous end to Broner - Theophane.)

I just read that Ruiz Jr signed with haymon earlier this year. Didn't know that.

Well, there you go. AJ is fucked.

I sort of love it. ;-)

--- No ref today is unimpeachable, but I don't see any warning flags of recent bouts I'm familiar with Involving Pabon.

Off the top of my head:

Klitschko - Povetkin, Klitschko-Mormek, Povetkin - Huck,

Golovkin - Murray, Burns - Crawford, Haye - Chisora.

Khan - Mcclosky, … Vetyeka - Donaire, Broner - Theophane, & the list goes on….

--- Speaking of weights, the Almighty Ring experts weigh in...

https://www.ringtv.com/585466-fight-picks-andy-ruiz-vs-anthony-joshua-2/

Thanks.

An interesting read.

One thing I know for certain: Fat Andy cannot possibly win a decision. There's too much money to be made with the lucrative trilogy.

I don't think, however, that Andy will coast or take a dive. He's just not the type, no matter what they offer under the table. Besides, if he wins this one, imagine how much he'll get for facing Wilder or Fury! Set for life .......

The champion on the scales at a whopping 283lbs, the challenger in at 237lbs!

It's Christmas Eve, just one more sleep now and then we find out the answer to the following;

Is Andy Ruiz Jr the real deal?

Did Anthony Joshua simply underestimate him last time out, nothing more nothing less?

Is Joshua too light?

Is Ruiz Jr too heavy?

I just want a FAIR fight tomorrow night, no dodgy scorecards, no long counts and no favouritism PLEASE.

Let's get it on!!

ruiz-joshua5.jpg.112a6aba1e3fa83e4711b535853f5d4a.jpg

Johnny Nelson says the champion was spotted having 2 curries and a pizza on Sunday evening!!!!?? If that's true, wtf is he playing at?

I think he might try and get AJ up outta there inside the first 6, not sure he'll be OK with the fight going the distance, look how heavy he is too. Problem is, taking AJ out in 18 minutes doesn't seem too unrealistic, Klitschko could have done it too if he stepped on the gas.

The more I think on this fight, the more I give Fat Andy the overwhelming odds to win.

Joshua is a massively protected, massively overrated fighter. He was gifted his Olympic gold medal, and his pro career consisted almost exclusively of opponents that stood before him frozen in fear, just waiting to be KTFO. The only 2 exceptions (besides Ruiz) were Parker and Wlad. Parker covered up, did nothing, and just stunk out the joint. Wlad, despite being clearly over the hill, almost took AJ out. Then AJ managed to win, simply because an aging Wlad had such a lousy chin.

So who exactly has AJ actually beaten? He's stiff, he's one-dimensional, and he doesn't seem like the kind of fighter that could easily learn new techniques, let alone radically change his style. - Let alone in 6 months.

As for Andy -

First, he clearly isn't afraid of AJ.

Second, he clearly has an IRON chin. (In stark comparison to Wlad)

Third, he's fast, clever, and has a fairly diverse offense.

And finally - He didn't even have time to prepare for AJ last time. This time, he knows what to expect, and had the funds and the motivation to train his ass off.

AJ always has a punchers chance, but I think it's insane to predict he will win. - Unless of course he dances on the outside for 12 rounds and gets a gift from the judges.

Sadly, that's a real possibility.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

I’m looking forward to the rematch. Joshua maybe better prepared physically going into this fight but mentally the defeat must be getting to him and the only way to get rid of the daemons is by victory.

If I was Ruiz I'd be winding him up in the ring and speaking to AJ constantly to get under his skin and throw him off his game plan.

I do see AJ winning this time around.

--- Do we need spoiler alerts for fight weights?

Fatter Andy at 283 and Josh at 237, ie Josh 10 lb under and Andy 15lb over last fight!

Will DAZN give us fight nite wts? I suspect monkey biz with the wts.

Wow.

Snickers power, baby!

I may have to change my prediction. At a minimum, this brings it down to 50 - 50.

I thought Joshua was going to make a statement for all the right reasons tonight and show the heavyweights he means business by blowing Ruiz away.

Yeah, he executed his game plan to beat Ruiz Jr but I wasn't overly impressed, run and jab to protect a vulnerable chin which is starting to show. Do you envisage Wilder or Fury running against Ruiz Jr?

Maybe I’m a little harsh with saying he was running but he certainly was staying away from Ruiz as much as he could in the fight.

The winner of Fury-Wilder is the number 1 heavyweight for me.

Anthony Joshua reclaims the world heavyweight title with a 12 round unanimous decision victory over Andy Ruiz Jr.

He boxed to instructions for 95% of the fight, I'm certain he wouldn't have been able to clock up so many miles on June 1st and so he obviously worked tremendously hard on improving his fitness. Disappointed to see Ruiz Jr labouring around after Joshua all night, perhaps he needed Tunde Ajayi in the corner because "empty the tank" and "stop him this round" was the only suitable instructions entering the championship rounds.

Can't finish without a word on the ref either. "Stop stop stop" every single time Ruiz tried to get some shots off in the clinch and after AJ was hit by a punch in the 8th he stops the action and starts talking to both fighters for what felt like 60 seconds (perhaps it was), that was disgraceful but, Joshua deservedly won the fight you could see who put in the time and the effort in the gym and who didn't. Ruiz Jr and Robles had to know that this would be the Joshua tactics, they brought in Michael Hunter and said they were ready for a different AJ but they weren't. As if he was gonna do the same thing he did before!

This Joshua performance was OK with me, he had no choice this was the only way to ensure his career at the highest level continued and indeed it does.

And NEW....

--- Hunter ain't helping Andy fight Josh.

Tepid fight as was To a lesser extent, POV/Hunter.

Andy ate himself out of the open division while Josh has lost his destructive style to skeeter around and duck disturbingly into punches.

And no, Tommy, he never dominated, he won a wide, tepid Pts decision.

Looks like the heavies wide open now. Josh a record setting heavy is one of the pretenders now-

https://www.ringtv.com/585980-anthony-joshua-dominates-andy-ruiz-for-decision-win-now-a-two-time-heavyweight-titleholder/