No announcement yet.

[SPOILERS from December 7] It's Fight Week!! Andy Ruiz Jr vs Anthony Joshua II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SPOILERS from December 7] It's Fight Week!! Andy Ruiz Jr vs Anthony Joshua II

Andy Ruiz Jr will make the first defence of his WBA, WBO & IBF World Heavyweight Titles in Saudi Arabia as he takes on Anthony Joshua in a mega rematch on Saturday night (live on Sky Sports Box Office in the United Kingdom and DAZN worldwide).

The 'Destroyer' (and 12-1 underdog) dethroned Joshua earlier this year with a 7th round TKO victory, sending shockwaves across the boxing world. So, gentlemen, let's get into it!

Personally, I absolutely cannot wait for this one, looking forward to this more than Christmas itself. Will it be repeat or revenge?

UK viewers, will you succumb to the price increase slapped on the event by Sky Boxing and purchase the PPV at the new £24.95 price? I last bought a PPV when Joshua took on Klitschko, I was ready to break that drought and buy this rematch until I realised that we were being asked to make up the difference for the £9.99 KSI vs Paul fight. I feel slighted by the move so I won't be buying it but will you?

How about the undercard? Featuring heavyweight clashes such as Michael Hunter vs Alexander Pedvetkin and Pillian Whyte vs Mariusz Wach, any of those take your fancy?

But most importantly, can Andy Ruiz Jr retain his world titles in Saudi? It's often said that you're not a world champion until you've made a successful first defence, was Joshua not at the races the first time around or has Ruiz Jr got his number?

From the top of my head here are some heavyweight rematches that have gone the same way
    HOLYFIELD vs Tyson II
    BELLEW vs Haye II
    FURY vs Chisora II

And some where revenge was sweet
    HOLYFIELD vs Bowe II
    LEWIS vs Rahman II
    LEWIS vs McCall II

Joshua currently slight favourite with the bookmaker's but I expect that will shift during the week.

I'll go on the record (again) by predicting Ruiz Jr to retain his titles and do so inside the distance.

I can afford it but I'm not paying £25 on principle. As for the fight I'm going with Ruiz with reservations. He won conclusively (and concussively) last time but that wasn't the Joshua who brawled his was past Klit and Whyte. If he's prepared better and done the hard gym miles he didn't last time round then he can win. The whispers I heard from a source in Matchroom was he seriously took his foot off the gas when Fat Andy was rolled in as a replacement.

Comment

--- Selj says he was KOed in sparring 2 weeks before the fight.

My hackles raised in his distractions of fans and security all wanting a piece of this great, accommodating Colossus in the ring walk. And then seeing Al Haymon stooge, Sam Watson on the Andy team when he'd been with arum since inception.

Putting numbers on the fight, I'd say 80-20 Jos with Andy putting up a good fight that he obviously did Now it's 50-50.

Comment

It's official, Luis Pabon will be the third man in the ring on Saturday night.

If Joshua elects to jab and grab his way through the fight will he be forgiven? Matchroom and Sky Sports Boxing pretty much have everything riding on a Joshua victory, anything less and that's it for their PPV platform, AJ's the only PPV attraction in the whole Matchroom stable, this is it!

If Joshua loses again is he done?

Comment

Originally posted by Undefeated View Post
          It's official, Luis Pabon will be the third man in the ring on Saturday night.

If Joshua elects to jab and grab his way through the fight will he be forgiven?
          Tried & true ! Sigh ........

But Andy's the champ. Surely he has a say in who gets to be the ref.
          Is it possible team Ruiz has never seen Wlad-Povetkin?
          Last edited by Cableaddict; 12-03-2019, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Hold on now -

Pabon has seemingly been in Al Haymon's pocket for the last few years. (Hence the outrageous end to Broner - Theophane.)

I just read that Ruiz Jr signed with haymon earlier this year. Didn't know that.

Well, there you go. AJ is fucked.

I sort of love it.

Comment

--- No ref today is unimpeachable, but I don't see any warning flags of recent bouts I'm familiar with Involving Pabon.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
                --- No ref today is unimpeachable, but I don't see any warning flags of recent bouts I'm familiar with Involving Pabon.

Off the top of my head:

Klitschko - Povetkin, Klitschko-Mormek, Povetkin - Huck,
                Golovkin - Murray, Burns - Crawford, Haye - Chisora.
                Khan - Mcclosky, … Vetyeka - Donaire, Broner - Theophane, & the list goes on….

Comment

--- Ah, so none recent save Boner/Theo that was bad fart joke in the breech before Pabon got his Grubbies on it.

He was magnificent in Moscow as Wlad got to return to London ring rules days of yore instead of grabbing POV to prevent butts at wait for the ref to break it up.

You overly sensitive?

Comment

--- Weighty fun!

Andy reportly wants a slimmer profile as does Josh.

I predict Andy 257 and Josh 243. They were 268/247+ last fight.

Comment

--- Speaking of weights, the Almighty Ring experts weigh in...

https://www.ringtv.com/585466-fight-...hony-joshua-2/

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
                        --- Speaking of weights, the Almighty Ring experts weigh in...

https://www.ringtv.com/585466-fight-...hony-joshua-2/

Thanks.

An interesting read.

One thing I know for certain: Fat Andy cannot possibly win a decision. There's too much money to be made with the lucrative trilogy.

I don't think, however, that Andy will coast or take a dive. He's just not the type, no matter what they offer under the table. Besides, if he wins this one, imagine how much he'll get for facing Wilder or Fury! Set for life .......

Comment

Working...
                        X