[SPOILERS from November 23] It's Fight Week!! Deontay Wilder vs Luis Ortiz II

Undefeated

Less than a week to go before Luis 'King Kong' Ortiz gets a second (and probably final) opportunity to become heavyweight champion of the world. The 65 year old twice busted for the use of banned substances issued a warning to the Bronze Bomber on June 2nd stating "We saw what happened to Joshua, don't look past me!"

Wilder is the bookies' favourite again but can Ortiz cause the upset as he has what is surely one last throw of the dice? He looks in great shape, I've watched a few PBC/FOX build up shows and training footage of the Cuban's preparations and it looks as if he's putting in some serious work but it's clear he's no spring chicken at this stage.

Is anyone here picking Ortiz to get the job done on Saturday?

Ortiz does look to be in ther shape of his life. However, he's at an age where reaction time HAS to have slowed considerably. That doesn't bode well for a counterpuncher.

There's only one likely outcome, and we all know what that is.

Well, Wilder still has to fight smart, so it's a decent bout for him, and IMO Ortiz has certainly earned the payday.

So what the heck. Ring that bell. Let's get it on.

• Like 1

Less than a week to go before Luis 'King Kong' Ortiz gets a second (and probably final) opportunity to become heavyweight champion of the world. The 65 year old twice busted for the use of banned substances

--- The second bust was his stupid Cuban team not declaring he was on Ol' Man blood pressure meds. He's still on the meds, but now his stupid team gained enough IQ to declare them.

Pretty much see this as 50/50 save for Wilder getting all the officiating breaks than he needed last time. Al growing rabid in his bunker desperately trying to build him into a Josh Superfight.

Wilder 219.5 Ortiz came in at a career lightest at 236.5, not long to go now, I got Wilder by KO/TKO within 7 rounds. I watched the first fight again earlier today, can't see what Ortiz can do this time that he didn't already do last time out aside from be less ambitious and aim to get to the end of the fight but even then Wilder was ahead on all three cards at the time of the stoppage first time 'round.

It's amazing how many fighters missed weight this weekend (at the first time of asking at least, not sure who came back within the 2hrs and who didn't), on the Cancio weigh-in show there were plenty and then of course the WBC 118lbs king failed to do so on the Wilder Ortiz undercard weigh-in show as did Figueroa's next opponent, so at the minute I don't know what fights are happening and which aren't but the two main events will go ahead, Cancio coming inside the limit no problem and of course Santa Cruz made it in at 129.5 and Flores bang on the limit so there'll be some boxing at least.

Callum Smith and John Ryder also coming in within the 168lbs limit and this show kicks off in about 6 minutes time so I'll be off, I got Smith retaining his title inside the distance tonight, I like Ryder but he's too small.

Enjoy the fights everyone, let's break it down tomorrow.

....... I got Wilder by KO/TKO within 7 rounds. I watched the first fight again earlier today, can't see what Ortiz can do this time that he didn't already do last time out aside from be less ambitious and aim to get to the end of the fight but even then Wilder was ahead on all three cards at the time of the stoppage first time 'round............

It all comes down to if Wilder does enough stupid stuff that Ortiz gets that one chance. And at that weight (and on who knows what gear) Ortiz will likely last longer than last time before fading.

Wilder at his best should control every second of every round, but we haven't seen Wilder at his best in years.

SPOILER ALERT

Callum Smith retains his WBA and Ring Magazine Super-Middleweight world titles with a unanimous decision against John Ryder. Scores of 117-111 & 116-112(x2) had the crowd booing afterwards, I like Johnny Nelson had Ryder winning by 1 but Crolla and Lee thought Smith edged it out.

Was a great scrap, untidy at times but plenty of activity, the only fighter I saw in any kind of trouble was Smith tonight. After the fight he said that wasn't his best performance and that he would raise his game against someone who is better on paper than John Ryder but for me he's fortunate to be leaving with his belts tonight, not good enough, needs to stop worrying about Canelo at Anfield (as if) and start worrying about whose name is on the contract.

And STILL.....(just about).

He did it again!

Deontay Wilder remains undefeated stopping Luis Ortiz in the 7th with (that's right) a big right hand. I had the challenger ahead 5-1 going in but of course when you're not concerned about the scorecards conceding the early rounds really isn't an issue. Wilder was largely inactive, Ortiz was busier and landed the better of what did land, Wilder tried to find the right hand in the 6th to no avail but then it came in the 7th with devestating effect and unlike in their first fight, Ortiz was unable to get off the canvas in time after suffering his first knockdown of the fight and veteran referee Kenny Bayless waved it off with Ortiz barely knowing where he was.

The Bronze Bomber improves to 42-0-1 and says Fury is next in February and then he wants to unify.

Apparently his brother Marcellus got chinned again on the undercard, haven't seen it yet but there was concern about how that would affect Deontay but no problem for the champion, job done And STILL...

i´m very surprised for not seeing too many comments about Wilder´s win. I´m sure there were plenty of them if Ortiz won..

Anyway, devastating KO, with a scaring death eye looking when Ortiz came down.

And waiting to see Wilder-Fury II

:GIFF4::GIFF2:

I'd imagine there's been no rush here since nothing unexpected happened last night, the upset is what gets people talking usually but the gang will be along at some point to comment on the action I'm sure. Great KO though right, brutality, Ortiz too old to be taking those still. If you look at his pro record you wonder why people hyped him up so much anyway, his best win is Bryant Jennings, his was a case of hyping him for what they believed he could do rather than what he actually did. He got greedy last night, I noticed his left hand dropping lower every round that went by that he put in the bank and of course he started attacking Wilder more and more but he was well ahead on the cards. As a spectator of course I always want to see action but when you're 59 years old and have already been knocked out by your opponent, came back and fought two nobodies and yet find yourself getting another shot at the crown, you MUST learn from what went wrong before.

They had to rob Tyson Fury because he outboxed Wilder and didn't get knocked out, the belt should have changed hands when that final bell rang and Ortiz was (surely) on his way to a UD win, keep the left up and just box, don't get overconfident and go for it because this is what happens when you do. Having said that I do concede that at some point Wilder would have thrown the kitchen sink at him if rounds 9,10 went by and Ortiz was still racking up the points and hadn't been on his back even once, he would have had to have weathered a storm at some point but it seems to me that he started slacking off too early.

I dunno what to think about Wilder.

On the one hand, he fought smart, feinted nicely and waited for his moment. Hard to knock that.

On the other hand, it's easy to knock that. I was almost bored. If not for the impressive effort by Ortiz, winning every single round, the fight would have been a total snooze-fest.

Does Wilder not understand that this is show business?

Not to mention, if Bayless hadn't called that bullshit stoppage, with seconds to go in the round, Ortiz MIGHT have finished the fight, in which case he would have been the winner.

OK, that wasn't likely, but certainly possible, and team Wilder could not have know that going into the fight.

-So how did their boring, non-action game plan make any sense?

Oh, and fuck Kenny Bayless. He pulled the same crap in LSC vs Jesus Ruiz.

Ortiz was up at 9 1/2 and was obvuoulsy clear-headed. (As he said himself after the fight.) But hey, gotta' protect Wilder at every chance, right?

I'm sure Ortiz decided quickly that Bayless actually gave him a gift, but the fans got robbed.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

Your rabbid hatred of Wilder is turning you into a moron.

Steady, man. Steady !

--- Steady enough not give Deyonce a single round save the last.

Looked like he just couldn't pull the trigger other than a few wild swings and a couple of three body shots. I don't ever recall him being ahead in a fight though I suppose it's possible to over look such a rarity. The punches he absorbs is slowly eroding him.

i´m very surprised for not seeing too many comments about Wilder´s win. I´m sure there were plenty of them if Ortiz won..

Anyway, devastating KO, with a scaring death eye looking when Ortiz came down.

And waiting to see Wilder-Fury II

--- Didn't give Wilder a single round save the last, but I doubt we see Fury in February unless Wilder concedes purse and conditions.

It's debatable at this point if he's even fit to fight after punishment by that wwe monster. Getting mma training and wanting that debut. Clearly his attention and focus on boxing has been lost.

Wilder's body language during a fight tells me he doesnt 'enjoy' fighting. Am I wrong ? He grimmaces and labours over any graft involved - hence being behind on all 3 scorecards at KO time. He is devoid of natural boxing ability/guile/ideas. As a failed basketball player obviously would be. Boxing was never his chosen sport.

The celebration over KO'ing a 40yr old fat man was ridiculous in the extreme. Proves absolutely jack-shit. In his heart of hearts he knows he's swerved AJ for over 2 years - and despite Fat Andy temporarily holding all the other belts - Deyonce is calling neither AJ or Fat Andy out, rather making vague references to Fury II. Unlike other boxers, he doesn't call anyone out, let alone want to unify the HW division as all the true greats have coveted. And given Fury's recent activity and indicators a rematch would probably not even be financially viable for Tyson.

Bombsquad ? Bullshitsquad....

There was nothing controversial or bullshit about that stoppage. Ortiz was barely up, not at all steady and looked confused. It was the right call.

As for whats next. It will be Fury won't it? It's intruiging in the sense of is Fury even more prepared the second time around, or has his head been turned as alluded to with the WWE stuff? Will Wilder be less gun shy second time round. As Seli suggests he isn't at all a boxer, and seems cagey to let his hands go. He seems to always try and find the time for the perfect shot. The fact this has so far (apart from the first fury fight) seemed to work for him alleviates the fact that he is usually behind on any scorecards as boxers can outbox him.

No need for any foray into AJ/Ruiz since that rematch has always been on the cards anyway and so has Fury/Wilder 2. After those 2 we assess where each man is at and what fight we ultimately want to see after that.

• Like 1

Despite the praise being lavished on Wilder (have you seen Costello and Bunce on bbc.co.uk?) I think he's going backwards. Let's face it he lost 9 out of the 12 rounds against Fury and 6 rounds and 2 minutes and 50 seconds against Ortiz. His power is freakish but I'm not overly impressed by him beating a guy who's 40 at the most conservative of estimates (he looked at least 5 years older). Currently I think Uysk, Fat Andy and Fury would all beat him as long as they didn't get foolish. I've a sneaking suspicion that Joseph Parker has a style that would cause him massive problems at well - decent mover and cautious. Wilder could be waiting all night for an opportunity to land the big right hand there.

Let's face it he lost 9 out of the 12 rounds against Fury and 6 rounds and 2 minutes and 50 seconds against Ortiz.>>>Currently I think Uysk, Fat Andy and Fury would all beat him as long as they didn't get foolish.

All of that is true, Kubrat Pulev could outpoint Wilder also, BUT...can these chaps maintain maximum concentration for EVERY second of EVERY round? Can they avoid the urge to move in and try to force the stoppage because they have been bossing the fight and feel invicible?

Because if they can't.....:faint:

I´m happy to wake up all these comments, but seriously, does anybody think about a premature stoppage? Ortiz was out of this planet, with his eyes doing the "death sight" before he hit the canvas.

And i doubt if any of the other top heavyweights would be happy if Ortiz was in front of them. This guy was in his best shape and i don´t see him worst than Andy or AJ.

Wilder will lose sometime because of his lack of talent or his doubt chin, but he probably has the most devastating one punch right hand ever.

Bombsquaaaad!

• Like 1

I´m happy to wake up all these comments, but seriously, does anybody think about a premature stoppage? Ortiz was out of this planet, with his eyes doing the "death sight" before he hit the canvas.

And i doubt if any of the other top heavyweights would be happy if Ortiz was in front of them. This guy was in his best shape and i don´t see him worst than Andy or AJ.

Wilder will lose sometime because of his lack of talent or his doubt chin, but he probably has the most devastating one punch right hand ever.

Bombsquaaaad!

Nothing wrong with the stoppage, Bayless is one of the best in the world, Ortiz had full opportunity but he couldn't beat the count and barely knew where he was when he eventually got up.

As for other top heavyweights not wanting to fight Ortiz, I agree with that too, twice he was ahead on the cards vs Wilder and of course he's won all his other fights albeit not the stiffest tests. Only Wilder can rely on the right hand getting him out of trouble so everyone else will have to count on being able to outpoint Ortiz with the knockout being a secondary concern so for my money that leaves Fury and Parker in the top 10 that should be fully confident of beating Ortiz. I think Whyte, Ruiz Jr and Joshua would beat him also but it's no forgone conclusion in my view.

probably has the most devastating one punch right hand ever.

Bombsquaaaad!

His level of opposition is not sufficient to make that claim - Foreman surely has a better claim to the title - he looked ike even his arm punches were lethal, whereas Wilder's power comes when he throws himself at his opponent.

Always thought Wilder's power was the real thing though - never rated him as a boxer but the way people react to some of his punches is scary.

Edited by gavpowell

Nothing wrong with the stoppage, Bayless is one of the best in the world, Ortiz had full opportunity but he couldn't beat the count and barely knew where he was when he eventually got up.

You guys have completely lost your minds. Ortiz was clearly upo at 9 1/2, and he was clearly OK, and he even looked pissed off.

And he even said so after the fight, right in the ring.

And now his team has put out an official statement complaining about the stoppage.

Gimme a break, already.

You guys have completely lost your minds. Ortiz was clearly upo at 9 1/2, and he was clearly OK, and he even looked pissed off.

And he even said so after the fight, right in the ring.

And now his team has put out an official statement complaining about the stoppage.

Gimme a break, already.

9 1/2?? LOOOOOOL, that's too late in any case, he climbs up at 9 1/2 and then I suppose he'd be needing another 5 seconds or so to put his gloves up and declare that he's OK to continue? The fighter needs to be up AND ready to go before the count is up and I don't recall Ortiz looking as if he was in any position to continue.

I will admit that this narrative is starting to gain a bit of traction though so I'll be rewatching round 7 a bit later on tonight but putting out a statement afterwards whinging about the stoppage isn't proof of anything, Zab Judah was pissed off when Jay Nady stepped in but later once the dust settled, Judah apologised to Nady because he knew Nady was protecting him.